SMRT technician dies, another injured after being pinned under bus they were repairing

Kb27

@Phang You might need a pair of heavy-duty stand jack (rated at least 3 ton) for working under the car.  On the accident, I think it is due to metal fatigue at the joints.

• Praise 1

@Beanoyip The company cut back on maintenance under the old CEO Saw Phaik Hwa.  I suppose the old risk-taking culture and low maintenance resources still prevail even after the new CEOs took over.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, awhtc said:

@Beanoyip The company cut back on maintenance under the old CEO Saw Phaik Hwa.  I suppose the old risk-taking culture and low maintenance resources still prevail even after the new CEOs took over.

Are you saying all the CEOs after Saw sleep on job?
😂

@inlinesix The ex-CEO Desmond Kuek was brought in to fix the critical MRT issues.  In that sense, I think he may not have sufficient resources and time to fix other issues that Saw created as a CEO for a long period from 2002 to 2011.  The most recent CEO should have all the resources and time since most of the MRT issues were fixed when he took over in 2018.

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
(edited)

Or maybe non rail issues were swept under the carpet, in favor of fixing the more public issues of rail. Now the blow back starts. 
RIP. 

Edited by Mkl22

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

This again shows companies don't put safety as number 1 priority.. similar to LTA

errr.. cannot like that say.. those in the top always put Safety number 1..

Safety as in protection to their pocket! whahahahahahha..

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Should have used a 10 ton jack instead... :we-all-gonna-die:

I dunno what exactly happened but at times people like to work base on convenience..

how many times we see workers use pillars to loosen a nut when a spanner need to be used.

SOP and installation manual are there but then again how many follow? I hardly see any mechanic using torque wrench to tighten the bolt to correct torque.

I used to work with 5 tonnes machine.. How many times the pallet jack is leaky? you be surprise many many.. so can jack up the machine but cannot hold.. so when working with heavy machinery don play play.. only we can take care of our own safety and do watch out for other co-worker and report any safety lapse.. Bosses will find u picky and don like you! whahahahaha..

My suay encounter yesterday.. I went to change 4 tires last Saturday.. Tires were setup by 2 workers on separate machines.. both workers pump the tires to different PSI based on their experience/knowledge..

Yesterday in TPE tunnel the car tires pressure lost indicator pop up.. drive aside check check boh tai chi.. so drive to nearest petrol kiosks to pump up and reset the onboard computer..

The different in the PSI and not resetting the onboard computer resulted in the false reading.. 

• Praise 6

16 hours ago, Kb27 said:

RIP, but unbelievable, these professionals were using flimsy car jacks to repair a bus !

I wouldn't even use this to repair a car, unless you slide a wooden block below it or put it on a good quality stand.

even car workshop mech are smarter by sliding the wheel below the car.

Last time our tanks got use those passage way in ground to do servicing one

Like those vicom check cat underneath one

these kind of workshop cannot be don’t have these kind of equipment mah

2 hours ago, awhtc said:

@inlinesix The ex-CEO Desmond Kuek was brought in to fix the critical MRT issues.  In that sense, I think he may not have sufficient resources and time to fix other issues that Saw created as a CEO for a long period from 2002 to 2011.  The most recent CEO should have all the resources and time since most of the MRT issues were fixed when he took over in 2018.

huh? blaming someone who left in 2011 for a 2021 accident? sure or not?

• Haha! 1

MRT Inquiry: Ex-SMRT CEO in the hot seat

https://www.asiaone.com/print/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120511-345384.html

In full: SMRT CEO Desmond Kuek on 'deep-seated cultural issues' behind history of service disruptions

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/smrt-ceo-desmond-kueks-statement-response-oct-7-tunnel-flooding-nsl

Disruptions, flooding, fake work records: How systemic are SMRT's cultural issues?

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/how-systemic-are-smrts-cultural-issues

No 'deep-seated cultural issues' at SMRT, says its new CEO Neo Kian Hong

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/no-deep-seated-cultural-issues-at-smrt-says-its-new-ceo-neo-kian-hong

A proper risk assessment and audit would have uncovered unsafe acts like the use of improper tools for the job long ago.  The support did not look new.