SMRT technician dies, another injured after being pinned under bus they were repairing

Kb27

I would not jump to conclusion that it is the fault of SMRT management. Those who are safety profession will know that using the wrong type of jack for the job is the causal factor, NOT the root cause. To put it in layman term, root causes are the reason why the worker use the car jack for the job (lifting the bus), and we will not know until a thorough investigation has been carried out, using tools such as HFACS, TapRooT, Fault Tree, Event Tree, Bow Tie, 5 Whys, etc.

Using HFACS (Human Factors Analysis and Classification System) for example, the root causes may be related to:

• Human factors (people carrying out the task): Errors, Violations
  • Environmental factors: Physical, Technological
  • Personal factors: Mental State, Physiological State, Physical / Mental Limitation
  • Personnel factors: Human Resources Management, Team Work, Comprehension of Command
  • Supervisor factors: Adequacy of Supervision, Operation Planning, Failure to Correct a Known Problem, Supervisory Violation
  • Organizational factors: Culture, Organization Policies / Processes, Resource Management

Of course any failure to correct KNOWN unsafe behavior would eventually lead to organizational factors (management, culture, policies).

• Praise 14

18 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I would not jump to conclusion that it is the fault of SMRT management. Those who are safety profession will know that using the wrong type of jack for the job is the causal factor, NOT the root cause. To put it in layman term, root causes are the reason why the worker use the car jack for the job (lifting the bus), and we will not know until a thorough investigation has been carried out, using tools such as HFACS, TapRooT, Fault Tree, Event Tree, Bow Tie, 5 Whys, etc.

Using HFACS (Human Factors Analysis and Classification System) for example, the root causes may be related to:

• Personal factors: Mental State, Physiological State, Physical / Mental Limitation
  • Personnel factors: Human Resources Management, Team Work, Comprehension of Command
  • Supervisor factors: Adequacy of Supervision, Operation Planning, Failure to Correct a Known Problem, Supervisory Violation
  • Organizational factors: Culture, Organization Policies / Processes, Resource Management

Of course any failure to correct KNOWN unsafe behavior would eventually lead to organizational factors (management, culture, policies).

D0CC2779-A903-4E63-96D5-F549C45129C7.jpeg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Yeobh said:

They should have invest in these heavy duty stands and trolley jacks

20 ton stand.jpg

20 ton Trolley Jack.jpg

The floor cement will give way before the jacks! 

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

This again shows companies don't put safety as number 1 priority.. similar to LTA

It shows senior executives can continue to collect their fat cheque while people at the bottom dies.

The two jacks shown are normal jacks that come with new cars. (they are not jacks of the 70s or 80s, but, current. 

Even this simple jack, there are instructions on its proper use, where are the points of the under carriage to place the jack etc. 

The jack is meant to lift up a single wheel for tyre replacement purposes, not for hoisting up the vehicle for under carriage work.

Obviously, using two such jacks to lift a vehicle is not correct and dangerous.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

one of my favourite youtube channels

this Finnish guy put virtually everything in his hydraulic press to destroy them

very entertaining, educational and therapeutic

this particular video is on various type of jacks

• Haha! 2

23 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Too chim already... Ultimately, the biggest responsibility rests on the user, he should know better whether a 1.1 ton rated jack can be used on a bus weighing 5 tons.

31 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Too chim already... Ultimately, the biggest responsibility rests on the user, he should know better whether a 1.1 ton rated jack can be used on a bus weighing 5 tons.

i think Ultimately the company need to be responsible for for that ,

its up to them to provide and ensure their guys have,and  use the proper and right equipment with the right practise and method.

its not any small back yard ws with 1 boss doing everything or 1 boss 1 worker. its smrt we talking about.

even at those small 1 man show ws , we dun see them using these jack.

what are the culture at smrt ws?? lack of equipment?? training?? something is very wrong when their mech use that on a car , not to say a bus. and they try to use 2 of it.

any mech with any sense will know that is super dangerous, looking for death, if the mech go ahead with it despite knowing the danger he is facing, could it be he got no choice?? bus need to be fix, but  not enough proper jack around??

if the mech dun know the danger and go ahead and get himself kill , its even worst, they are getting a total novice who dun sense the danger to work on the bus, totally lack of training. 

(btw the mech kill is senior 50+ if i not mistaken )

dun want jump to conclusion, but many many ????

@Ody_2004 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, Ody_2004 said:

I dunno what exactly happened but at times people like to work base on convenience..

how many times we see workers use pillars to loosen a nut when a spanner need to be used.

SOP and installation manual are there but then again how many follow? I hardly see any mechanic using torque wrench to tighten the bolt to correct torque.

I used to work with 5 tonnes machine.. How many times the pallet jack is leaky? you be surprise many many.. so can jack up the machine but cannot hold.. so when working with heavy machinery don play play.. only we can take care of our own safety and do watch out for other co-worker and report any safety lapse.. Bosses will find u picky and don like you! whahahahaha..

My suay encounter yesterday.. I went to change 4 tires last Saturday.. Tires were setup by 2 workers on separate machines.. both workers pump the tires to different PSI based on their experience/knowledge..

Yesterday in TPE tunnel the car tires pressure lost indicator pop up.. drive aside check check boh tai chi.. so drive to nearest petrol kiosks to pump up and reset the onboard computer..

The different in the PSI and not resetting the onboard computer resulted in the false reading.. 

As a commenter of the event after tragedy, I would say a decision made in calm times should weigh in.

So when time is compressed, with various urgency and importance pressing on our minds, we can step back and understand the bigger picture and each consequence.

That way, a more sound decision can be made.

The rest are just excuses for stick in the mud, refusal to update mindset type of people.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Blaming management for accidents is an over simplistic way of trying to close a case.

When improper equipment used, normally its not due to no training, no knowledge, no enforcement. its a simple decision by the person performing the act at that instance, despite all the knowledge, training, avail equipment etc provided. thats the sad thing.

having some insider knowledge within the organisation (no i do not work there), the deep-seated cultural issues that the previous CEO speak about, is about the ground staff, pple who do the work. if SMRT can publish what is the turnover rate of the ground staff, there is where the deep-seated cultural issues lies. The company HR policies are great at not retaining talents but retaining whom private sectors will never lay their hands on. If any SMRT senior management surfs MCF, want to have a chat, please buy me a coffee or 2.

RIP to the deceased.

• Praise 1

To see if its a management problem you have to ask one question.

Did the management know these unsafe practices were going on?

No? Then its a management problem. They don't know what is going on in their own organisation.

Yes? They know and didn't do anything about it? Then that's a management probem

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

There is no such thing as bad staff only bad managers.

Let me tell you why.

The manager hire the staff.

There is no company where the staff hire the manager.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

There no such thing as its not a management problem

because in spite of knowledge, training, avail equipment etc

the staff still do the wrong thing.

We have managers to ensure staff do the right thing

and not do the worng thing.

I have worked in many companies and been to many others

and I can say most managers don't know what they are doing.

And I am talking senior management at manager and director level.

When you have a bad leader how to get good followers?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1