Yokohama Advan Apex V601

sinistral

Hypersonic
On 4/3/2023 at 9:03 AM, sinistral said:

Unfortunately, a nail managed to embed itself onto the sidewall of one of my F1A5 tyres. While the tyres were about 35000km and still have plenty of meat, I went ahead and replaced them. Went to my regular tyre workshop and enquired about the pricing for V601, V107, F1A6 and PS5. V601 was the cheapest of the bunch so I decided to go with V601.

pyiGtlU.jpg

3kIdjdU.jpg

Sidewall looks decent but cannot be compared with PS5.

I will give a review after 5000km to give myself some time for the tyres to break in while I can also find the ideal tyre pressure to keep it in.

Please share is tyre size and how much you paid fir it. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
On 4/9/2023 at 10:25 AM, Tohto said:

Please share is tyre size and how much you paid fir it. Thanks.

Size is 245/40-19...can see in the Photo.

• Praise 2

Having driven for about 5000km on the V601, it is timely for my review. I will be comparing this with my previous set of tyres, which was the Goodyear F1A5. Please note the review is subjective based on my own feelings.

Dry Handling and Braking

The V601 feels better at this area. It is very grippy when the roads are dry. I think it is due to the rubber compound and the design of the tread. The F1A5 also performed well here nonetheless.

Wet Handling and Braking

The F1A5 felt better at this area. I felt more confident driving in the rain with the F1A5 as the car was more stable going over puddles. The V601 had greater grip than the F1A5 when the road was wet, but it feels more jittery during heavy downpours (like this morning). The V601 seems to start aquaplaning at a lower speed v.s. the F1A5. Interestingly, I actually lost grip at my HDB MSCP on the V601 as the concrete floor was wet cause by a heavy, windy downpour. Maybe the grip is only on paved roads.

Wear

I think the F1A5 wears out slower compared to the V601. I feel that the V601s are wearing out faster (because of better dry grip?), although there is no objective evidence of it.

Rolling Resistance

The F1A5 seemed to have lower rolling resistance. This was done by lifting off the right foot off the accelerator pedal, and the V601 seems to slow down faster compared to the F1A5. Lower rolling resistance means better fuel economy.

Noise

Both seemed to be equally noisy.

Summary

The F1A5 edges out the V601 slightly in almost all aspects. If you can find a reasonable price for its successor, the F1A6, I would recommend going for F1A6. The V601s are still a fun set of tyres to drive around in good weather and it was cheaper too.

• Praise 3

On 4/5/2023 at 10:37 PM, Samlimlp said:

Thanks for the great feedback...useful....what about the costs between both?

The Ventus Prime 4s are great. I itchy backside and went from 205/45R17 F1A6 to 215/45R17 VP4s. I lost a bit of dry grip, but they perform about equally in the wet.

Much quieter, and definitely more comfy due to the softer sidewalls.

FC impressively has remained mostly the same for cruising but due to the higher weight due to the size increase, has dropped for my city driving.

That being said don’t bother with hankook in SG. If not for my discount, it’s basically buy 3 in sg for the price of 4 in Malaysia for an identical product.

↡ Advertisement