Yokohama Advan Apex V601

sinistral

On 6/11/2021 at 1:16 PM, sinistral said:

I am currently running F1A5s, almost 8k mileage with them. Made an informed decision after reading the F1A5 thread here and other online tyre reviews. I was initially looking at Advan dB, but it's not available at my tyre size (225/45/r19).

It's going to be quite some time before my tyres wear out so I hope by starting this thread, there will be sufficient feedback by then for another decision-making.

I shortlisted RE004 to be the next set of tyres to run with, but if the Apex V601 is reviewed positively, I can consider either based on price.

any update on your decision? 

my asym5s are getting noisy liao. Itchy backside to change and saw this V601... looks interesting for a midpriced max performance summer tyre. 

like u, i don't have any issues with the asym5 for my driving pattern. for me, it's gonna be either PS5, Asym6 or V601

Edited by Shibadog
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Shibadog said:

my asym5s are getting noisy liao. Itchy backside to change and saw this V601... looks interesting for a midpriced max performance summer tyre. 

like u, i don't have any issues with the asym5 for my driving pattern. for me, it's gonna be either PS5, Asym6 or V601

Buy and regret. Yokohama cmi. V601 is not even comparable to asym5.

yoko also overpriced for what you get. Michelin price with tourador grip when wet

Edited by Mkl22
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Buy and regret. Yokohama cmi. V601 is not even comparable to asym5.

yoko also overpriced for what you get. Michelin price with tourador grip when wet

thanks for the review. Much appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Shibadog said:

I have not changed my tyres yet, just 22k mileage on it so still plenty of tread life left.

Objectively, there are already third-party reviews on PS5, F1A6 and Potenza Sport but not V601 (even after 1 year+ since my original post), and with raving comments on the first three tyres, it is difficult to consider the V601 unless you are willing to take some 'risks'.

Just looking at V601's tread design, I think wet handling may be a little compromised as mentioned by someone above, but there should not be an issue with dry handling.

I am actually looking at the sibling model V107 as a potential replacement for my current F1A5s. I think wet handling is important and its tread design appears to be able to handle wet grounds better than V601. I believe V107 is still not available locally yet.

Pricing-wise, my understanding is that PS5 and Potenza Sport are very pricey locally, F1A6 is just slightly more expensive than F1A5 but still reasonably priced, while V601 seems to be priced around F1A6. If you are price-sensitive, the best cost-to-performance would be F1A6.

• Praise 1

On 8/14/2022 at 6:49 PM, sinistral said:

I have not changed my tyres yet, just 22k mileage on it so still plenty of tread life left.

Objectively, there are already third-party reviews on PS5, F1A6 and Potenza Sport but not V601 (even after 1 year+ since my original post), and with raving comments on the first three tyres, it is difficult to consider the V601 unless you are willing to take some 'risks'.

Just looking at V601's tread design, I think wet handling may be a little compromised as mentioned by someone above, but there should not be an issue with dry handling.

I am actually looking at the sibling model V107 as a potential replacement for my current F1A5s. I think wet handling is important and its tread design appears to be able to handle wet grounds better than V601. I believe V107 is still not available locally yet.

Pricing-wise, my understanding is that PS5 and Potenza Sport are very pricey locally, F1A6 is just slightly more expensive than F1A5 but still reasonably priced, while V601 seems to be priced around F1A6. If you are price-sensitive, the best cost-to-performance would be F1A6.

Good UHP tyres are always pricey . If you price sensitive , why not buy GITI S1?

Twincharged

Some people like to discover the rarer cheap and good stuff. They want to believe that they have found the holy grail of Tyres or a product, that no one else have discovered. Gives them great joy. 
but alas such a product doesn’t exist. If no one uses a tyre like that means is crap. 

Unfortunately, a nail managed to embed itself onto the sidewall of one of my F1A5 tyres. While the tyres were about 35000km and still have plenty of meat, I went ahead and replaced them. Went to my regular tyre workshop and enquired about the pricing for V601, V107, F1A6 and PS5. V601 was the cheapest of the bunch so I decided to go with V601.

pyiGtlU.jpg

3kIdjdU.jpg

Sidewall looks decent but cannot be compared with PS5.

I will give a review after 5000km to give myself some time for the tyres to break in while I can also find the ideal tyre pressure to keep it in.

• Praise 3

Twincharged
On 4/3/2023 at 9:03 AM, sinistral said:

Unfortunately, a nail managed to embed itself onto the sidewall of one of my F1A5 tyres. While the tyres were about 35000km and still have plenty of meat, I went ahead and replaced them. Went to my regular tyre workshop and enquired about the pricing for V601, V107, F1A6 and PS5. V601 was the cheapest of the bunch so I decided to go with V601.

pyiGtlU.jpg

3kIdjdU.jpg

I will give a review after 5000km to give myself some time for the tyres to break in while I can also find the ideal tyre pressure to keep it in.

Your Car is a Camry.?Is the Tyre Noisy.?

Twincharged
On 4/3/2023 at 6:33 AM, sinistral said:

pyiGtlU.jpg

3kIdjdU.jpg

Lets us know how is the wet performance especially braking. My experience with Yokohama is poor wet braking. 

On 4/3/2023 at 9:28 PM, ER-3682 said:

Your Car is a Camry.?Is the Tyre Noisy.?

Mazda 6. Comparable with my old F1A5.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:33 PM, Mkl22 said:

Lets us know how is the wet performance especially braking. My experience with Yokohama is poor wet braking. 

Sure, once I put some mileage on the tyres.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:14 PM, Samlimlp said:

How is Yokohama Advan compared to Hankook?

There are many Advan sub-models like Sport, dB, Fleva and Neova. Which sub-model would you like to compare against?

Hankook themselves produce decent UHP tyres, i.e. the Ventus S1 evo 3.

• Praise 1

On 4/5/2023 at 8:26 PM, sinistral said:

There are many Advan sub-models like Sport, dB, Fleva and Neova. Which sub-model would you like to compare against?

Hankook themselves produce decent UHP tyres, i.e. the Ventus S1 evo 3.

I am looking at Yokohama Advan db552 which it claim is designed for EV and Hybrid.....am driving a Camry Hybrid.....

On 4/5/2023 at 9:13 PM, Samlimlp said:

I am looking at Yokohama Advan db552 which it claim is designed for EV and Hybrid.....am driving a Camry Hybrid.....

I am not so sure about the claim; the main selling point for dB v552 was a quiet ride for your car with decent dry and wet handling. Tyres designed for EV and Hybrid have low rolling resistance for maximum fuel efficiency, but at the expense of handling in dry and wet.

I would put the dB v552 at the premium/touring tyre category, so it would be the new Hankook Ventus Prime 4 at the same category. The Ventus Prime 4 has good handling but unlikely to be as quiet as the dB v552.

• Praise 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:13 PM, sinistral said:

I am not so sure about the claim; the main selling point for dB v552 was a quiet ride for your car with decent dry and wet handling. Tyres designed for EV and Hybrid have low rolling resistance for maximum fuel efficiency, but at the expense of handling in dry and wet.

I would put the dB v552 at the premium/touring tyre category, so it would be the new Hankook Ventus Prime 4 at the same category. The Ventus Prime 4 has good handling but unlikely to be as quiet as the dB v552.

Thanks for the great feedback...useful....what about the costs between both?

On 4/5/2023 at 10:37 PM, Samlimlp said:

Thanks for the great feedback...useful....what about the costs between both?

Do check with your regular tyre workshop. I think the Hankook tyres should be slightly cheaper.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1