Budget of $80,000; Which 4yr old sedan or SUV to buy?

tudorpapa

If I have a budget of $80,000 and I would like to buy a used car still left 6 years and above. What would you guys recommend? 

I will travel quite a bit for my work so will prefer something that is fuel efficient. Preferably a Sedan or a SUV. Need to put a stroller inside the car. 

I am considering a Toyota prius, But I never driven a hybrid before so I dunno about the maintenance and the upkeeping. 

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1004028&DL=2469 

Anyone have a better recommendation? 

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

@tudorpapa 

If you don't mind being mistaken for a PHV driver every now and then, the Prius seems to fit your requirements if fuel efficiency is your top priority. 22-25km/L is possible. Boot space also reasonable and easy to load cos of the liftback design. C-HR is a little claustrophobic and has a small boot. The others would be the Honda Shuttle Hybrid or Vezel Hybrid (not a choice if you hate a hard bouncy ride).

There is little difference to maintaining a Hybrid vs a normal car. The Prius is renown for its reliability. Your brake pads/rotors will take a very long time to wear out, actually, due to its regen braking system. Only proviso is the replacement battery ($3k?) if it does konk out but it should easily last 120-180k km.

When you are shopping for a used one, ensure you dont end up with a ex-PHV car, though. Mileages can be tweaked and seats can be re-upholstered to disguise that fact.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 11

Turbocharged
19 minutes ago, tudorpapa said:

If I have a budget of $80,000 and I would like to buy a used car still left 6 years and above. What would you guys recommend? 

I will travel quite a bit for my work so will prefer something that is fuel efficient. Preferably a Sedan or a SUV. Need to put a stroller inside the car. 

I am considering a Toyota prius, But I never driven a hybrid before so I dunno about the maintenance and the upkeeping. 

For SUV, I suggest Honda HR-V/Vezel, provided it is non-PHV.

• Praise 1

Look for the water mark on the left back and front screen where they peel of the PHV sticker.

I always ask them to rub out as much as possible so the next customer cannot tell.

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 11

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

@tudorpapa 

If you don't mind being mistaken for a PHV driver every now and then, the Prius seems to fit your requirements if fuel efficiency is your top priority. 22-25km/L is possible. Boot space also reasonable and easy to load cos of the liftback design. C-HR is a little claustrophobic and has a small boot. The others would be the Honda Shuttle Hybrid or Vezel Hybrid (not a choice if you hate a hard bouncy ride).

There is little difference to maintaining a Hybrid vs a normal car. The Prius is renown for its reliability. Your brake pads/rotors will take a very long time to wear out, actually, due to its regen braking system. Only proviso is the replacement battery ($3k?) if it does konk out but it should easily last 120-180k km.

When you are shopping for a used one, ensure you dont end up with a ex-PHV car, though. Mileages can be tweaked and seats can be re-upholstered to disguise that fact.

Toyota and Lexus provide 10 years warranty for hybrid batteries! but of course must be Borneo Motors one lah! PI battery spoil own wallet warranty :D 

https://www.lexus.com.sg/en/servicing-and-support/warranty.html

Edited by D3badge
  • Praise 3

Whoever the used car dealer will be very happy. Can get rid of a high mileage car used for phv. And can sell it at premium price some more when they "fix" the odometer. Very good deal for the used car dealer.

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, tudorpapa said:

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

For SUV, I suggest Honda HR-V/Vezel, provided it is non-PHV.

Well I won't recommened Honda Vezel Hybrid, I have encounter quite a few with gearbox issue. 

Prius is a good choice, another car that can consider is the Sienta Hybrid. It looks ugly, but get the job done. And it have auto sliding door. your in-law will be happy whenever you fetch them. You don't believe you can ask @Jamesc 🤣

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Prius is a good choice, another car that can consider is the Sienta Hybrid. It looks ugly, but get the job done. And it have auto sliding door. your in-law will be happy whenever you fetch them. You don't believe you can ask @Jamesc

Yes she loves the sliding doors but I never use it.

I make her sit on the roof.

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Yes she loves the sliding doors but I never use it.

I make her sit on the roof.

So you also drive until there is flapping sound above your car one.... Hmmmm. 🤣

• Haha! 6

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

So you also drive until there is flapping sound above your car one.... Hmmmm. 🤣

What can I do? I didn't want to disappoint my boy.

I just wanted him to hear the sound of his grandma flying away!

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

Hypersonic
(edited)

Buy a brand new Attrage with your budget. It’s a sedan, fuel efficient and sure can put a pram in the trunk.

It’s a budget car though.

But it fit your budget and at least worry free motoring for the first 3 years.

😁

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 8

Supercharged

Agree with bro @Fcw75. Since fuel efficiency is high in your consideration, I guess not having unexpected surprises leading to repair cost should also be in your consideration too.

• A new set of wheels gives you that peace of mind.
  • The 1.2L Attrage should get you about 18km/L 
  • It comes with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay which many 2nd hand older does not have
  • Built-in Cruise control for better fuel efficiency
  • If you only need to drive for 6 yrs then sell, there'll be more value on this car at that point than one with zero COE left.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Its a good point about getting a brand new car for a peace of mind. However, the capabilities, comfort, refinement, handling etc of Prius is vastly superior to the Attrage, so I might have to think very hard.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Buy a brand new Attrage with your budget. It’s a sedan, fuel efficient and sure can put a pram in the trunk.

It’s a budget car though.

But it fit your budget and at least worry free motoring for the first 3 years.

😁

Daily misery for 3 years too....

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 7

Hypersonic
(edited)

I only based it on his requirements.

- Sedan

- Fuel efficient 

- Able to put a stroller 

😁

Edited by Fcw75