‘Hermes of ice cream’ brand Zhong Xue Gao under fire after founder says people complaining about high prices can take it or leave it

DOBIEMKZ

Turbocharged

https://www.scmp.com/news/people-culture/trending-china/article/3137508/hermes-ice-cream-brand-zhong-xue-gao-under-fire?module=lead_hero_story_5&pgtype=homepage

Their people not supportive of their own country's premium brands, but will happily pay more for Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry, Magnum, etc.

For cars, no matter no high-tech or premium their Hong Qi cars are, they rather buy continental or Japanese brands.

:shy:

↡ Advertisement

Good ice cream definitely not cheap. you need more milk/cream. Vanilla extract etc also makes a difference. The flavorings.

If you sell less due to price, then you need to make it up in margins. 

• Praise 7

16 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

https://www.scmp.com/news/people-culture/trending-china/article/3137508/hermes-ice-cream-brand-zhong-xue-gao-under-fire?module=lead_hero_story_5&pgtype=homepage

Their people not supportive of their own country's premium brands, but will happily pay more for Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry, Magnum, etc.

For cars, no matter no high-tech or premium their Hong Qi cars are, they rather buy continental or Japanese brands.

When I stayed in Beijing, i used to buy local brand (can't rem the name) that has Rum & Raisin Ice Cream.

Foreign brand is overpriced.

Just now, inlinesix said:

When I stayed in Beijing, i used to buy local brand (can't rem the name) that has Rum & Raisin Ice Cream.

Foreign brand is overpriced.

haha B&J and HD also overpriced here mah. U can buy 1 pint for 2-3+ usd in america [laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
23 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

maybe its simply because that zhong xuegao is not as good as dazs , ben & jerry etc?

or hong qi is simply haven reach the level of conti or lexus yet.

its not easy for new brand in any market to achieve the atas level.  needs years of promotion and giving out top level product year in year out, gaining customer loyalty etc etc.

look at lexus till now they cannot match benz bmw in branding, but i say their product dun lose 1 bit. 

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

haha B&J and HD also overpriced here mah. U can buy 1 pint for 2-3+ usd in america [laugh]

Previously, I bought HD Rum & Raisin.

Now, I only buy Udders Rum & Raisin.  It is so much better than HD.

Supercharged
12 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Previously, I bought HD Rum & Raisin.

Now, I only buy Udders Rum & Raisin.  It is so much better than HD.

Try Udders' Orange Choc Bitters .. Won't get drunk, but has a nice kick. Can't stop eating when you start 😅

• Haha! 1

(edited)

I agree with the guy. He has no monopoly. And Ice cream is not an essential item. Consumers are free to vote with their wallets. 

If it is good and expensive, some will buy. If it is cheap but no good, some will buy. If it is good and cheap, many will buy. If it is not good and not cheap, still some are stupid enough to buy! Simple formula.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

(edited)

I hate to break it to you all bros, but HD ice cream isn't what you may think it is:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/haagen-dazs-comes-from_n_7266208

This AMERICAN chap invented it during the depression, by using a Scandi name and adding more milk / sugar so people think it's a premium product.. and he priced it higher.. so people think it's more premium.. he knows his psychology ...  

But there are some small premium ice creams that are hand made, which are good, just that they aren't international brands..

For example if you make it back to Sydney, try the gelato here:
Bar Italia Leichhardt Norton st. Best ...

BUT... the chef making your pasta is Viet... but I'll tell you the food here is awesome.. 

image.png.aea5c5d92fe1e43e15360eca6119fc0e.png

image.png

Edited by therock
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I agree with the guy. He has no monopoly. And Ice cream is not an essential item. Consumers are free to vote with their wallets. 

If it is good and expensive, some will buy. If it is cheap but no good, some will buy. If it is good and cheap, many will buy. If it is not good and not cheap, still some are stupid enough to buy! Simple formula.

i like the last one.. but unfortunately not good is subjective. a lot of food is replaced with palm oil, trans fat. yea taste maybe hard to tell apart but its way cheaper. artificial flavour.. check. many people evaluate good just by taste. highly processed food taste good. but most people who buy the last option are not stupid. haiz

• Haha! 2

(edited)
7 minutes ago, therock said:

I hate to break it to you all bros, but HG ice cream isn't what you may think it is:

This AMERICAN chap invented it during the depression, by using a Scandi name and adding more milk / sugar so people think it's a premium product..

But there are some small premium ice creams that are hand made, which are good, just that they aren't international brands..

BUT... the chef making your pasta is Viet... but I'll tell you the food here is awesome.. 

image.png.aea5c5d92fe1e43e15360eca6119fc0e.png

image.png

yea gelato and turkish ice cream are pretty good. made the old fashion way

Edited by Nolicense

6 minutes ago, therock said:

I hate to break it to you all bros, but HG ice cream isn't what you may think it is:

This AMERICAN chap invented it during the depression, by using a Scandi name and adding more milk / sugar so people think it's a premium product..

BUT... the chef making your pasta is Viet... but I'll tell you the food here is awesome.

Cannot compare lah. Haagen Daas is like what. 3+ USD per pint in USA?

For that, u get 1-1.5 scoops of the gourmet ice cream/gelato shops in Aussie. 

So far I've not had any superior gelato/ice cream in singapore, though i don't hunt for it.

HD and B&J are good enough for their price. 

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

yea gelato and turkish ice cream are pretty good. made the old fashion way

I've not had any really good gelato in singapore. 

• Haha! 1

34 minutes ago, Ckll said:

Try Udders' Orange Choc Bitters .. Won't get drunk, but has a nice kick. Can't stop eating when you start 😅

I find Udders icecream not really that nice except that one or 2 unique local flavours.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2