Discrepancies in used car odometer with AD record

Mehaha

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for genuine advice for my situation.  I bought my pre-owned car via consignment thru a car dealer and took delivery of the car on 26 March 2021.  Prior to closing the deal, it was our understanding that the car would still be under warranty by the authorized dealer till Oct 2022.  In fact, I even paid for the car to be checked and confirmed by the authorized dealer before concluding the deal.  So I've been driving the said car till Monday, 14 June when I sent it for servicing with the authorized dealer.  The Service Advisor noted that the mileage on my vehicle doesn't tally with their last records!  Before jumping into any conclusions, we both agreed that I should have a chat and check with the car dealer from whom I gotten my carI then wrote an email to the car dealer.  No response from them after one day. I called the office line next day and spoke to someone who basically said he can't recall and have details on hand.  I told him that I've written an email with the relevant details and attached reports from the authorized dealer to his company and confirmed the email address.  He said would look out for the email.  Few days passed and still no response.  I called again today (Thursday) and spoke to the same Mr Tan.  He claimed that never received any email and "don't know what is wrong".  Again, I confirmed the email address.  In my email, I explained that I wish to get confirmation that the instrument cluster or on-board computer of my car has not been tempered with prior to handover.  I'm approaching it with a open mind that there could be other reasons why the odometer is not reflecting correctly.  Or if there has been acts that put the warranty by the authorized dealer at risk, we should explore our options to resolve the issue.   

So I'm all ears to what I should do next?  I've written few emails to the car dealer and followed with a couple of re-sent.  But the Mr Tan simply claimed "never see".  What else can I do?  Go onto their Facebook page and try demand a response?  I don't wish to suggest that they could be into the "tempering odometer"  as it could be disastrous for their business.  But I should also be fair to myself too, right?  If I should send the car to the authorized dealer for a deeper probe, it could result in immediate void of my warranty.  And the odometer discrepancies would be all on me! 

Thank you all for reading patiently and help.  I welcome all actionable suggestions.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Mehaha said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for genuine advice for my situation.  I bought my pre-owned car via consignment thru a car dealer and took delivery of the car on 26 March 2021.  Prior to closing the deal, it was our understanding that the car would still be under warranty by the authorized dealer till Oct 2022.  In fact, I even paid for the car to be checked and confirmed by the authorized dealer before concluding the deal.  So I've been driving the said car till Monday, 14 June when I sent it for servicing with the authorized dealer.  The Service Advisor noted that the mileage on my vehicle doesn't tally with their last records!  Before jumping into any conclusions, we both agreed that I should have a chat and check with the car dealer from whom I gotten my carI then wrote an email to the car dealer.  No response from them after one day. I called the office line next day and spoke to someone who basically said he can't recall and have details on hand.  I told him that I've written an email with the relevant details and attached reports from the authorized dealer to his company and confirmed the email address.  He said would look out for the email.  Few days passed and still no response.  I called again today (Thursday) and spoke to the same Mr Tan.  He claimed that never received any email and "don't know what is wrong".  Again, I confirmed the email address.  In my email, I explained that I wish to get confirmation that the instrument cluster or on-board computer of my car has not been tempered with prior to handover.  I'm approaching it with a open mind that there could be other reasons why the odometer is not reflecting correctly.  Or if there has been acts that put the warranty by the authorized dealer at risk, we should explore our options to resolve the issue.   

So I'm all ears to what I should do next?  I've written few emails to the car dealer and followed with a couple of re-sent.  But the Mr Tan simply claimed "never see".  What else can I do?  Go onto their Facebook page and try demand a response?  I don't wish to suggest that they could be into the "tempering odometer"  as it could be disastrous for their business.  But I should also be fair to myself too, right?  If I should send the car to the authorized dealer for a deeper probe, it could result in immediate void of my warranty.  And the odometer discrepancies would be all on me! 

Thank you all for reading patiently and help.  I welcome all actionable suggestions.  

one just have to assume that the meters on all  the used cars have been tempered with, this is a common practice. Unfortunately , there is no law to protect buyers adequately. The investigation and conclusion of a dealer tempering with Odo is never easy anyway. 

You paid for the car to be checked by authorized dealer, how did they check, did they produce an assessment report? if so, why did they not highlight the odo issue in the report? 

unless you take legal action against the dealer, but the process will be long and costly, at the end you may get nothing out of it except spending more money and wasting more time. 

It would be good if the authorised dealer is not going to void the warranty, otherwise, if the car has no major problem , just drive on.

• Praise 7

@Ct3833 

6 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

if so, why did they not highlight the odo issue in the report? 

The Odo was correct on the date of checking on 23 Mar.  I took over car on 26 Mar.

8 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

It would be good if the authorised dealer is not going to void the warranty, otherwise, if the car has no major problem , just drive on.

Yes, no problem now.  But if major problem happens 2 months down the road, how can I still claim on the warranty cos the system now shows discrepancies in odo.  Should I stomach it? If I choose not to do anything now as it's being discovered, it would be used against me later as my actions would imply I've acknowledged and accepted that my odo has been tempered.  That's why I feel something should be done now rather than cross finger and hope for the best.  If we condone such practices, then we too are at fault for such lack of integrity in the system!

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Mehaha said:

@Ct3833 

The Odo was correct on the date of checking on 23 Mar.  I took over car on 26 Mar.

Yes, no problem now.  But if major problem happens 2 months down the road, how can I still claim on the warranty cos the system now shows discrepancies in odo.  Should I stomach it? If I choose not to do anything now as it's being discovered, it would be used against me later as my actions would imply I've acknowledged and accepted that my odo has been tempered.  That's why I feel something should be done now rather than cross finger and hope for the best.  If we condone such practices, then we too are at fault for such lack of integrity in the system!

this is strange, if the odo was correct on 23 Mar and you have accepted the deal, no reason the dealer would want to tamper with it. how many kilometer did the guy change  it?  How did the  AD know , in what way? 

go read this and decide if you want to take further actions. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/car-buyer-loses-case-against-dealer-over-tampered-odometer

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Mehaha said:

@Ct3833 

Did you not see the odo reading on 23 Mar, and check again on 26 Mar?

@raikko , @Ct3833

Thank you for your responses.

I think I need to improve my language skills.... 

I am not accusing anyone of messing around with the instrument cluster or Odo.  And my appeal for help here at the forum is how to induce or get a response from the Car dealer to my issue on hand.  It is not meant to be a finger pointing exercise nor an allocation of fault, guilt, responsibilities.  It is not a common courteous to just ignore someone much more a customer.  Maybe I should be clear in the help I am asking here.  What tactics can I employ to get a response from the Car dealer who sold me the car thru consignment?  Thank you once again for any suggestions.   

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Mehaha said:

@Ct3833 

u mean the dealer show u 50,000km when you see the car first time, send in to AD for checking at 120,000km to tally with the AD service record, tune back to 50,000km after service?

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Mehaha said:

@raikko , @Ct3833

Thank you for your responses.

I think I need to improve my language skills.... 

I am not accusing anyone of messing around with the instrument cluster or Odo.  And my appeal for help here at the forum is how to induce or get a response from the Car dealer to my issue on hand.  It is not meant to be a finger pointing exercise nor an allocation of fault, guilt, responsibilities.  It is not a common courteous to just ignore someone much more a customer.  Maybe I should be clear in the help I am asking here.  What tactics can I employ to get a response from the Car dealer who sold me the car thru consignment?  Thank you once again for any suggestions.   

most of these used car dealers, if not all of them,  are doing the same thing day in day out. You can try to pop by and see if you could get anything out face to face. But first is what do you want to achieve ? you want to ask them if they have tampered with the Odo? their answer will be  no.  If you ask them why the odo has been changed? their answer will be dont know. And the answers to all your questions would be dont know or either need to check but will never get back. This is the problem with buying a used car. 

Again, ask yourself what response do you want from them and how would  the response help with the warranty concerns you have.   

• Praise 2

Why cervic advisor like that one?

I train my cervic advisor don't say anything about mileage if the car was sold by me!

Then none of this misunderstandings would arise.

:D

• Haha! 1

Cervic advisor say the wrong thing people may misunderstand and think they bought a car that mileage has been clocked 

:D

Training is very important.

• Praise 1

Just like other illegal modification authorities wont do sh*t about it until someone dies... and no one ever died of a tampered odo case.

If i understand correctly... car is under warranty, odo untampered

you take over but forgot to check odo... which by then was tampered voiding warranty

So now you are the injured party and u obviously suspect wshop is the party that did u damage. I suggest consult lawyer first thing and see whether u can make case.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Alg said:

u mean the dealer show u 50,000km when you see the car first time, send in to AD for checking at 120,000km to tally with the AD service record, tune back to 50,000km after service?

That's what i thought of TS's encounter too. 

Twincharged
(edited)

i dont get this whole post anyway. check like never check. AD confirmed ok, use words or there is a service form. or dealer said... if dealer said. then hahahahahhahahaa.🤣

anyway just move on la. lesson learnt....  believe a dealer at your own peril!

Edited by Mkl22

Turbocharged
13 hours ago, Mehaha said:

Hi everyone,

Hi TS, for simplicity, can we said that the actual odometer figure according to authorised dealer's records is higher than the "presented" or shown figure on the car's odometer when it was displayed at the car dealer? And the actual figure (according to authorised dealer's records) is so high that it out of the under-warranty mileage figure? 

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, Mkl22 said:

i dont get this whole post anyway. check like never check. AD confirmed ok, use words or there is a service form. or dealer said... if dealer said. then hahahahahhahahaa.🤣

anyway just move on la. lesson learnt....  believe a dealer at your own peril!

But have faith in Jamesc.:grin:

• Haha! 2

ehh...TS paid the authorised dealer to check, shouldn't it come back with a checklist or report indicating mileage meh?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3