Honda to end production of its hydrogen and plug-in hybrid Clarity cars

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

724c51b0-cffa-11eb-bef3-22d195e5d079.cf.

After killing off the Clarity EV last year, Honda is ending production of its hydrogen fuel-cell and plug-in hybrid Clarity models this summer, Autoblog has reported. The decision reportedly came due to weak demand and Honda's new focus on electrification, according to Nikkei. 

The Clarity fuel-cell vehicle was handicapped in the US from the get-go with a high $71,200 price tag and a lack of hydrogen refueling infrastructure in the US. With the end of the Clarity EV, PHEV and fuel-cell models, Honda is currently building no electrified models at all in the US. 

However, the company said that it will build enough Clarity fuel-cell models for lessees into 2022 and will provide support for the foreseeable future. Honda previously announced that it would release an electric car for 2024 and plans to only sell zero-emissions EVs by 2040. 

Those could include EVs, but Honda hasn't given up yet on hydrogen either, having struck a deal with GM to develop fuel cell vehicles. However, most hydrogen in the US is made by reforming natural gas, so the fuel still releases greenhouses gases even though only water comes out a fuel-cell vehicle's tailpipe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator

I think it makes sense for Honda to leave the hydrogen scene, even thou I am quite positive about the hydrogen technology. But after all, it is still boils down to demand and supply, they free the clarity project they manpower and facility can be free up to do other cars. And for honda to have the hydrogen line up, it will most probably be used under their passenger cars line-up which has steep competition from an electric car.

Toyota and Hyundai can apply the hydrogen technology for their commercial line up so I think the use cases will be more and we still do not see the adoption of electric trucks yet.

• Praise 6

Hydrogen will make more sense for larger vehicles like trucks and buses first.

For cars, I think they will make sense in certain situations. For Singapore, it will make a lot of sense since we live in HDB and not feasible to have a charger at every HDB parking lot.

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator

@ToyotaShuttle Yah. but don't think our govt will want to invest the infrastructure for Hydrogen, so we lan lan have to drive electric car. The implementation is much easier compared to hydrogen.

21 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

@ToyotaShuttle Yah. but don't think our govt will want to invest the infrastructure for Hydrogen, so we lan lan have to drive electric car. The implementation is much easier compared to hydrogen.

we got no choice but to follow the rest of the world .

say we want to go nitrogen, but all the car maker going toward electric. we also llpl.

• Praise 2

17 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I would like to believe that electric is the interim technology, and hydrogen will be the future. 

i think electric is the future. and hydrogen will be phrase out 😅

if all countries build all the charging points. it would be hard to imagine they change to hydrogen say within a 50 years span

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I would like to believe that electric is the interim technology, and hydrogen will be the future. 

haha. How long is the interim? Cannot be just 12-year cycle for the infrastructure

2d54d42b543ba61415ec5daae2bc8fb5.jpg&f=1

6 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

On the contrary, if it is hydrogen, govt don't need to invest as it will be the existing petrol station operators who have to upgrade. Then we just go pump hydrogen the same way we now pump petrol

If it is electric car, govt have to sort out the chargers all over the island esp at HDB blocks. For HDB, how many chargers will they have per car park? Imagine you come back, wanna charge but the lot is taken. Come down 30 mins later to check again? Damn sian.

Or imagine you come back, charge your car. Then 30 mins later gotta come down again to move it from the charging lot? Damn sian again.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

On the contrary, if it is hydrogen, govt don't need to invest as it will be the existing petrol station operators who have to upgrade. Then we just go pump hydrogen the same way we now pump petrol

If it is electric car, govt have to sort out the chargers all over the island esp at HDB blocks. For HDB, how many chargers will they have per car park? Imagine you come back, wanna charge but the lot is taken. Come down 30 mins later to check again? Damn sian.

Or imagine you come back, charge your car. Then 30 mins later gotta come down again to move it from the charging lot? Damn sian again.

As far as the plan goes, HDB charging points are the low-speed AC ones. 30 mins charging time? Not likely....

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

i think electric is the future. and hydrogen will be phrase out 😅

if all countries build all the charging points. it would be hard to imagine they change to hydrogen say within a 50 years span

Apparently HGVs and buses will lead the way.

The thinking is that large vehicles cannot be efficiently powered by batteries (would be too heavy in itself to provide the needed range) but FCEV is a more viable option. If it comes true and HGVs and buses are FCEVs, then there will be a refilling network for them, then its a matter of time the refilling network will also be available for consumers with cars/vans/light trucks.

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/truck-news/2021/01/28/hgv-giants-agree-to-collaborate-on-development-of-hydrogen-trucks

I dont know about you, but i certainly wont be here in 50 years' time! 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

As far as the plan goes, HDB charging points are the low-speed AC ones. 30 mins charging time? Not likely....

Then how long? And will they build one charger for each parking lot?

Edited by ToyotaShuttle

10 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Tan ku ku for one charger at each parking lot.

It is clear that if you don’t want the inconvenience, don’t drive.

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

724c51b0-cffa-11eb-bef3-22d195e5d079.cf.

After killing off the Clarity EV last year, Honda is ending production of its hydrogen fuel-cell and plug-in hybrid Clarity models this summer, Autoblog has reported. The decision reportedly came due to weak demand and Honda's new focus on electrification, according to Nikkei. 

The Clarity fuel-cell vehicle was handicapped in the US from the get-go with a high $71,200 price tag and a lack of hydrogen refueling infrastructure in the US. With the end of the Clarity EV, PHEV and fuel-cell models, Honda is currently building no electrified models at all in the US. 

However, the company said that it will build enough Clarity fuel-cell models for lessees into 2022 and will provide support for the foreseeable future. Honda previously announced that it would release an electric car for 2024 and plans to only sell zero-emissions EVs by 2040. 

Those could include EVs, but Honda hasn't given up yet on hydrogen either, having struck a deal with GM to develop fuel cell vehicles. However, most hydrogen in the US is made by reforming natural gas, so the fuel still releases greenhouses gases even though only water comes out a fuel-cell vehicle's tailpipe.

Told you ....... too hype ....... Hydrogen Tank in your car leh ........ you might as well put a dynamite in your car lor.   Li Battery fire already scare until soul also fly away.

I think need to wait until I 6ft underground, then PAP dig me up and BBQ and use the land to build condo ........maybe got chance la ......

Maybe hor, my plan is extend my diesel car until 2032 then say ...... if I go for a battery car lor. Maybe maybe, DO I NEED A CAR then .......hmmmm ...... wait for COVID32 ya .....

1 hour ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Depends on the size of your car battery. and how depleted your batt is. At the AC speed of 7kW and an average car batt size of 60kWh, it will take 8 hours for a full charge.

• Praise 1

53 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

Told you ....... too hype ....... Hydrogen Tank in your car leh ........ you might as well put a dynamite in your car lor.   Li Battery fire already scare until soul also fly away.

I think need to wait until I 6ft underground, then PAP dig me up and BBQ and use the land to build condo ........maybe got chance la ......

Maybe hor, my plan is extend my diesel car until 2032 then say ...... if I go for a battery car lor. Maybe maybe, DO I NEED A CAR then .......hmmmm ...... wait for COVID32 ya .....

There you are, repeating your "Hydrogen Will Explode" theory. All you can think of is Hindenburg. Are you done yet? 🤣

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
19 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

There you are, repeating your "Hydrogen Will Explode" theory. All you can think of is Hindenburg. Are you done yet? 🤣

Those were the old days.. just like battery.. if we talk about say 30 to 40 years ago.. there will have people who will think.. electric car safe meh? Later the battery explode how? Same theory..

I believe that now hydrogen storage should be quite safe.. perhaps now is the cost issue and also the infrastructure.. if can solve these 2, then surely it could take off..

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Tan ku ku for one charger at each parking lot.

It is clear that if you don’t want the inconvenience, don’t drive.

I'm showing how hydrogen powered cars makes more sense in a city like ours.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1