Rolls-Royce Wants to Fully Decarbonize Jet Engines by 2050

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

107088956_https_hypebeast.com_image_2021_06_rolls-royce-aviation-jet-sustainable-fuel-net-zero-flights-travel-1.thumb.jpg.75a90532c4d1c031e79c697eb0a5a2a6.jpg

Source: https://hypebeast.com/2021/6/rolls-royce-aviation-jet-sustainable-fuel-net-zero-flights-travel

The aviation industry contributes roughly two percent to all the greenhouse gases that continue to warm up the planet, and now Rolls-Royce (the third biggest producer of jet engines in the world) has announced its plans to decarbonize its engines.

Aviation is one of the only markets that struggle to keep up with the advancements of electric battery-powered travel because of the way batteries work: they are heavy, expensive, and currently are only suitable for short-haul flights due to the range available. So, to tackle this, Rolls-Royce has set out plans to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by making all of its jet engines run on renewable fuels, as opposed to fossil-derived fuels (such as kerosene) that power them today.

Setting its target for 2050, Rolls-Royce kicks things off by making jet engines that will run off sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) by 2023. However, this still won’t be a big enough change, as these fuels will only make up around 10 percent of the total consumption used by airplanes by 2030.

SAF is made from crops such as willow and algae, as well as waste products like food, meaning it’s sustainable and doesn’t contribute to the atmosphere’s CO2. However, it’s also five times more expensive than the fossil fuels that power jets right now, so getting the mixture right is key to Rolls-Royce’s net-zero goal.

It will mix the fuels together as far as regulations will allow (currently limited to 50/50), but Rolls-Royce says, “We are playing an active role in advocating for this [mix of fuel] to rise to 100 percent.” These biofuels will play a considerable part in decarbonizing long-haul flights, and overall, the modification of Rolls-Royce’s jet engines to use and comply with this fuel could reduce carbon emissions by up to 70 percent.

Speaking on this plan in more detail, Rolls-Royce CEO Warren East said, “Our products and services are used in aviation, shipping, and energy generation, where demand for power is increasing as the world’s population grows, becomes increasingly urbanized, more affluent, and requires more electricity.” He added, “These sectors are also among those where achieving net-zero carbon is hardest.”

In related news, Volvo is exploring the use of fossil-free steel for its next concept car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Internal Moderator
55 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Why you posted this RR engine..... :slow:

Not everyone in MCF can affort ley :lll._.:

Engine itself cost S$3.8 millions each ... :=B:

:XD::XD:

Hahha. I am sharing this because of the investment in bio fuel, maybe, in the long run, there is still a place for ICE on the road also.

48 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Only @kobayashiGT can buy .....  [sly]

Sales office at Seletar Aerospace Hub, 4 km away from my workplace.

Can see the work "RR" big big if travelling along SLE after Jln Kayu flyover coming from TPE side or after CTE toward Changi Airport....  :secret-laugh:

The only RR I can still afford is Proxes RR tyres.

th?id=OIP.8eGZpqF5jWwOq07dBLQYUgHaHa%26p

The RR I wanna to own is Mugen RR

41a294_b5970b3c0c3e484cbe02375e0454d1f0.

This RR you referring to I can only own his stocks lah. haaha.

image.png.93940c4077e5a9181d9e25c20a689f6d.png

45 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

LoL...i thought decarbonize service for RR engine. Hahaha...

Hahaha. That will be KlearKarbon liao.

https://www.facebook.com/klearkarbon

Off track but if government can install solar pannels on top of all the covered walk ways, there should be potential to reduce some green house effect by tapping some power generated from there, cost is a different difsuccion that needs to be evaluated though 

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

@Picnic06-Biante15 RR Trent engine cost cannot be so cheap, should be closer to 8 digit figure. 

@kobayashiGT uncle carbon very the sad to read this title: 

Fully decarbonize... 

Bye MCF, nice to meet all of you here... :beaten:

You are still greatly needed in diamond industry, archaeology carbon dating, racing cars, motor bikes, bicycle frames.....etc. 

Just don't mix around Oxygen, O2. 

That's bad company. 

• Haha! 2

I got a friend who work at RR here... specifically on this. Actually they been doing this R&D for some years now... I always wonder why cant put solar panel on the wings

• Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Off track but if government can install solar pannels on top of all the covered walk ways, there should be potential to reduce some green house effect by tapping some power generated from there, cost is a different difsuccion that needs to be evaluated though 

Preferably just roof top.... 

Solar panels possibly will trap heat are highly reflective too.... 

Can cause surrounding concrete environment temp to rise.

2 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I got a friend who work at RR here... specifically on this. Actually they been doing this R&D for some years now... I always wonder why cant put solar panel on the wings

Also require huge battery for power storage.  Likely will exceed the Max allowable take off weight of planes 😅

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

If the price goes 0.01

I think if all the MCF members combined

we can buy up the whole company.

I start by buying 1,000 shares.

:D

Like Wall Street Bets bought up Game Stop

we can own RR!

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

This is really a once in a life time opportunity.

The pandemic has savaged the airline industry

but airlines are a vital industry and govs will always pump in money to save them. 

When the vaccine roll out to more people

people will all take holidays and fly again.

Let's buy RR.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Battery is needed to store the power as well as converting DC to AC before going into Grid.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

Also require huge battery for power storage.  Likely will exceed the Max allowable take off weight of planes 😅

From what I understand small and light plane already done and even viable commercially except for battery/charging infra not there. Scaling up to commercial passenger plane is harder...

3 minutes ago, yishunite said:

From what I understand small and light plane already done and even viable commercially except for battery/charging infra not there. Scaling up to commercial passenger plane is harder...

Props aircraft should be ok, 

Similar to drones... 

Turbine jets worked differently need internal combustion to drive the low pressure turbines 

• Praise 1

The problem with planes is they only have one wing.

That's why the engines have to work so hard and burn so much fuel.

If the planes have 3 wings then the engines don't have to work so hard

and just one engine will do.

Its called the glider principle.

image.png.c7ade49ea7d26bd998ca5bc03e372696.png

• Praise 1