Jump to content

Singapore may get non-mRNA Novavax Covid-19 vaccine


Recommended Posts

Supersonic

Singapore may get non-mRNA Novavax Covid-19 vaccine before year-end

SINGAPORE - Singapore has signed advanced purchase agreements with American biotechnology company Novavax to secure its protein-based Covid-19 vaccine, with supplies possibly arriving before the end of the year.

Singapore's Ministry of Health (MOH) had signed the agreements with Novavax in January this year, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said on Thursday (June 24) at a virtual press confernce held by the multi-ministry task force on Covid-19.

He added that MOH has been looking for vaccines of good quality that are safe and effective, to be part of the national vaccination programme, and noted that Novavax has recently shown encouraging results.

Currently only the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, which use the mRNA (messenger ribonucleic acid) technology, are offered under the national vaccination programme. These vaccines teach cells to make a protein that prompts an immune response.

Novavax, a protein-based vaccine, uses a laboratory-made version of the Sars-CoV-2 spike protein to stimulate an immune response.

Like the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, it also requires two shots spaced apart.

Mr Ong said shipments of Novavax's vaccines will not be ready so soon as it is still undergoing phase three clinical trials.

"In the meantime, please consider mRNA vaccines, they work very well," he added.

Novavax has been shown to be more than 90 per cent effective against a variety of Covid-19 variants, based on late-stage data from its clinical trial in the United States.

The study of nearly 30,000 volunteers in the US and Mexico puts Novavax on track to file for emergency authorisation in the US and elsewhere in the third quarter of the year, the company said on June 14.

The company added that its vaccine candidate was more than 93 per cent effective against the predominant variants of Covid-19 that have been of concern among scientists and public health officials.

Protein-based vaccines are a conventional approach that uses purified pieces of the virus to spur an immune response. Vaccines against whooping cough and shingles employ this approach.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Internal Moderator

Novavax come from where? Not from Novita right? Recently I saw they have a nice massager chair leh.

Take novavax got free massager chair?

p11_2000x.png?v=1623209770

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
49 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Singapore may get non-mRNA Novavax Covid-19 vaccine before year-end

SINGAPORE - Singapore has signed advanced purchase agreements with American biotechnology company Novavax to secure its protein-based Covid-19 vaccine, with supplies possibly arriving before the end of the year.

Singapore's Ministry of Health (MOH) had signed the agreements with Novavax in January this year, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said on Thursday (June 24) at a virtual press confernce held by the multi-ministry task force on Covid-19.

He added that MOH has been looking for vaccines of good quality that are safe and effective, to be part of the national vaccination programme, and noted that Novavax has recently shown encouraging results.

Currently only the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, which use the mRNA (messenger ribonucleic acid) technology, are offered under the national vaccination programme. These vaccines teach cells to make a protein that prompts an immune response.

Novavax, a protein-based vaccine, uses a laboratory-made version of the Sars-CoV-2 spike protein to stimulate an immune response.

Like the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, it also requires two shots spaced apart.

Mr Ong said shipments of Novavax's vaccines will not be ready so soon as it is still undergoing phase three clinical trials.

"In the meantime, please consider mRNA vaccines, they work very well," he added.

Novavax has been shown to be more than 90 per cent effective against a variety of Covid-19 variants, based on late-stage data from its clinical trial in the United States.

The study of nearly 30,000 volunteers in the US and Mexico puts Novavax on track to file for emergency authorisation in the US and elsewhere in the third quarter of the year, the company said on June 14.

The company added that its vaccine candidate was more than 93 per cent effective against the predominant variants of Covid-19 that have been of concern among scientists and public health officials.

Protein-based vaccines are a conventional approach that uses purified pieces of the virus to spur an immune response. Vaccines against whooping cough and shingles employ this approach.

I hope I am allowed to register for that!
Spread my eggs across a few strong baskets.

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Novavax come from where? Not from Novita right? Recently I saw they have a nice massager chair leh.

Take novavax got free massager chair?

 

The company Nova produce many types of medicines example 'Insulin' 

Proven track records.

To be frank, if no COVID, I don't even know the company that produces Pfizer, Sinovac, Moderna, AstraZeneca :slow: 

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

The company Nova produce many types of medicines example 'Insulin' 

Proven track records.

To be frank, if no COVID, I don't even know the company that produces Pfizer, Sinovac, Moderna, AstraZeneca :slow: 

pfizer is a rather big name in Pharma la.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

pfizer is a rather big name in Pharma la.

I am not a frequent user of pfizer's product so wouldn't know them before covid.😂

  • Haha! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

pfizer is a rather big name in Pharma la.

I know, but haven't start using. 🤣

1 minute ago, Ender said:

I am not a frequent user of pfizer's product so wouldn't know them before covid.😂

Hahhaha. Then you are same same as me.

  • Haha! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 interested to know is this more effective against delta compare to pizer and sinovac

how different is it compare to pizer and sinovac/ sinoharm

is gov paying for it?

and the side effect 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Took so long to make.

Safe or not?

:D

Safe or not don't know, most important is get the last few unvaxxers to vaxxed. Some them are not anti vax, but just don't want mRNA.

  • Praise 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ender said:

Safe or not don't know, most important is get the last few unvaxxers to vaxxed. Some them are not anti vax, but just don't want mRNA.

i hope its more effective then all the current vaccine on the market loh.

esp on stopping the spread of infection part.

and we can get back to norm at last😐

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...