Singapore may get non-mRNA Novavax Covid-19 vaccine

Kb27

42 minutes ago, Ender said:

Safe or not don't know, most important is get the last few unvaxxers to vaxxed. Some them are not anti vax, but just don't want mRNA.

Human guinea pigs!

:D

image.png.069a3b389588be2390dad3d9660cb3cc.png

↡ Advertisement

Finally on WHO''s EUL.  

The one submitted to Singapore is called Nuvaxovid, not the same name as the India produced one, which is Covovax.  Don't know got diff or not?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/novavax-serum-institute-covovax-covid19-vaccine-who-emergency-use-listing-2387491

WHO issues emergency use listing to Novavax-Serum Institute's COVID-19 vaccine

Edited by Ender

On 11/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, inlinesix said:

As long as NOT mRNA, confirm safe.

😂

Now things have changed. Apparently, mRNA is safer.

US experts recommend mRNA Covid vaccines over J&J shot

A US government-appointed panel of medical experts on Thursday unanimously recommended mRNA Covid vaccines made by Pfizer and Moderna over Johnson & Johnson's shot, in light of its weaker protection and greater risks.

The panel voted 15-0 in favor of the new guidance, which applies to everyone over 18 years of age.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) director Rochelle Walensky is expected to sign off on the measure, officially steering the public away from J&J's drug, which was initially praised because it could be stored at fridge temperature and offered good efficacy against earlier strains of the coronavirus after just one shot.

But evidence later emerged linking it to a rare form of clotting, particularly among women of child-bearing age, causing authorities to briefly halt and then resume its use in April. It has remained a distant third choice of vaccine for Americans ever since.

This week, the Food and Drug Administration found the rate of this effect was higher than previously thought, and not confined to females.

Preliminary lab testing data has also suggested the jab offers very little protection against the new Omicron variant -- at least against infection.

"I would not recommend a Janssen vaccine to my family members," said Beth Bell, a clinical professor at the University of Washington, referring to the vaccine by the name of the J&J subsidiary that developed it.

"On the other hand, I think we do have to recognize that different people make different choices and if they are appropriately informed, I don't think we should remove that option," she added, explaining her vote.

- Nine deaths -

The CDC called the vote in light of concerning new safety data.

At least nine people have died from clotting with low platelets or Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (TTS) as of December 9, with around 16 million doses of the vaccine administered, according to new data released by the CDC.

There were 54 cases as of August 31, and 36 required admission to intensive care. Some of those who did not die had long-term effects such as paralysis.

The greatest risks were seen in women aged 30-49, where the rate of TTS was around one in 100,000.

But the risk is not confined to this demographic, with two of the nine deaths occurring among men. The CDC said the fatality count may also be an underestimate.

Overall, approximately one out of seven cases of TTS have been fatal. Similar cases have been linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is authorized outside the United States and is based on the same viral vector technology.

CDC scientist Sara Oliver told a committee of independent experts there were several options available to them, including voting to recommend against using the vaccine altogether.

But the panel of experts agreed that the J&J vaccine should remain available to people who for whatever reason might refuse mRNA vaccines, despite their higher efficacy and lower risks.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines carry risks too, the CDC said in its discussion of risks and benefits, particularly for younger men who may in very rare cases develop myocarditis or pericarditis -- inflammation of or around the heart.

However, none of these cases have been fatal, and the two vaccines confer much higher protection than the J&J shot.

The panel also agreed with the company that recommending against the J&J shot entirely would send a negative signal to other parts of the world where it may be the only option available.

"The Johnson and Johnson Covid-19 vaccine is a life saving tool for individuals in high risk populations," Penny Heaton, global therapeutic area head of vaccines at J&J argued.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Now we dunno how novavax fare against omicron.

All vaccines are base on the original wild virus. Definitely have to discount alot from their phase 3 trial. 

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Ender said:

All vaccines are base on the original wild virus. Definitely have to discount alot from their phase 3 trial. 

Shoot up something is better than nothing, if really want to trust in taking an additional jab.

Unknown risk of mRNA vs. less risk of traditional vaccines vs. augmented risk of new, less-deployed, traditional vaccine. Who knows which one has higher risk and it varies between individuals too.

Russian roulette! 

As of now, pfizer, moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavax, all say booster is effective against Omicron.

Novavax says COVID vaccine triggers immune response to Omicron variant

Dec 22 (Reuters) - Novavax Inc's (NVAX.O) COVID-19 vaccine is effective in generating an immune response against the Omicron variant, according to early data published on Wednesday,suggesting that the U.S. drugmaker's existing COVID-19 vaccine can help combat the new Omicron variant.

Novavax's two-dose, protein-based vaccine was authorized for use this week by European Union regulators and the World Health Organization. L1N2T50VX It has previously been approved by countries including Indonesia and the Philippines but not the United States.

Novavax said that receiving an additional booster dose of Novavax's vaccine further increased people's immune response to Omicron. The data was taken from Novavax's ongoing studies of its vaccine's effectiveness in adolescents and as a booster.

"We are encouraged that boosted responses against all variants were comparable to those associated with high vaccine efficacy in our Phase 3 clinical trials,” said Gregory M. Glenn, Novavax's president of research and development.

Other COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers, including Pfizer Inc. (PFE.N) and Moderna Inc. (MRNA.O), also increase immune responses to Omicron, early data from those companies has shown. Resistance in all cases is stronger in people who have received an additional booster dose.

Novavax is working on developing an Omicron-specific vaccine and said Wednesday it expects to begin manufacturing doses of the variant-specific shot in January.

The drugmaker will start shipping vaccines to the EU's 27 member states in January as part of its deal to supply up to 200 million doses.

The company will also begin shipments in early 2022 to COVAX, a vaccine distribution mechanism overseen by WHO that allocates COVID-19 shots to poorer countries. Novavax and its partner, Serum Institute of India, have agreed to send COVAX more than 1.1 billion doses of Novavax's vaccine.

Can sense Singapore coming soon. Kenneth Mak just recently mentioned the possibility of using Novavax as a booster since it's efficacy it almost on par to the mRNA vaccine base on orignal variant.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/askst-how-does-the-novavax-covid-19-vaccine-work-can-it-be-used-as-a-booster

Q: I heard non-mRNA vaccines cannot be used as boosters here. Will Novavax be allowed as a booster?

A: Prof Mak said that he believes Novavax's vaccine will be available as a non-mRNA alternative for the booster programme.

This is because the evidence to date shows that, compared to some other non-mRNA vaccines here, Novavax's vaccine is more effective against the Delta and Omicron variants, said Prof Mak.

But he added that the Expert Committee on Covid-19 Vaccination here will first need to complete its discussions and issue recommendations on the vaccine.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Ender said:

Can sense Singapore coming soon. Kenneth Mak just recently mentioned the possibility of using Novavax as a booster since it's efficacy it almost on par to the mRNA vaccine base on orignal variant.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/askst-how-does-the-novavax-covid-19-vaccine-work-can-it-be-used-as-a-booster

Hopefully those who jab 2 doses of mRNA can opt for novavax as booster lo?!

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Hopefully those who jab 2 doses of mRNA can opt for novavax as booster lo?!

I may let my 270 days expire if they approve this for boosting. Ever since i kenna hyperthyroidism, with heart palpitations as a effect, i feel my heart is not 100% anymore. So better not risk the heart inflammation of nmrna.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

1 hour ago, Ender said:

I may let my 270 days expire if they approve this for boosting. Ever since i kenna hyperthyroidism, with heart palpitations as a effect, i feel my heart is not 100% anymore. So better not risk the heart inflammation of nmrna.

You must be a young man.

Ivory tower say those below 30 is at risk for heart inflammation :grin:

7 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

You must be a young man.

Ivory tower say those below 30 is at risk for heart inflammation :grin:

Mid 50s..  But my hyperthyroidism has caused some serious anomalies to my heart. i.e. Heart palipation and drop in cardio and stength.Til now I can't can back 100% of my fitness that was 3 months ago. I need more time for recovery. The booster dateline, just isn't enough time for my recovery. That's why I will let my booster dateline expire first, coz not going to risk inflammation in my current situation. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ender said:

If the lapse of fully vaccination status does not affect you much, then just let it lapse. Not worth to take the risk to take another mRNA. Hope that they can allow the mix of mRNA and novavax vaccine, also allow people to have a choice to opt for this vaccine, not forcing people must jab mRNA vaccine as booster if they have jabbed 2 doses of mRNA previously. Like what they are doing now, cannot choose to take china vaccine if already jabbed mRNA.

• Praise 2

On 1/12/2022 at 9:24 PM, Ender said:

Mid 50s..  But my hyperthyroidism has caused some serious anomalies to my heart. i.e. Heart palipation and drop in cardio and stength.Til now I can't can back 100% of my fitness that was 3 months ago. I need more time for recovery. The booster dateline, just isn't enough time for my recovery. That's why I will let my booster dateline expire first, coz not going to risk inflammation in my current situation. 

You're right on that insufficient time for your body to recover, I'm pretty sure that is the same for many people out there that are still suffering from side effects after months of their vaccine shots.

However, ivory tower is saying we should shorten our shots instead so I guess unless they see larger number of people dropping dead, it's just going to get shorter. Even if people are not dropping dead, it's not exactly useful to our economy if people are sick from chronic side effects from vaccination.

Maybe we should get a medically trained person to be health minister?

Mf2apsg.gif200.gif

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

You're right on that insufficient time for your body to recover, I'm pretty sure that is the same for many people out there that are still suffering from side effects after months of their vaccine shots.

However, ivory tower is saying we should shorten our shots instead so I guess unless they see larger number of people dropping dead, it's just going to get shorter. Even if people are not dropping dead, it's not exactly useful to our economy if people are sick from chronic side effects from vaccination.

Maybe we should get a medically trained person to be health minister?

He has hyperthyroidism.  That's why he is not taking booster for the time being.

↡ Advertisement