Shortlisted used cars on sgCarMart. Could use some advice!

AikL91

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, new potential 2nd hand car buyer here. Looking to get a 2nd hand car in the near future. 

Browsed through sgcarmart and I have shortlisted a few models of car.

1. Audi A3 Sedan 1.4A TFSI Ambiente 

The cars i shortlisted are roughly the same in terms of age (3Y8M left) and price (50k) 

2. Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6A

I personally like the way it looks. However, I do not really see much of this model on the roads and was wondering if there is a particular reason so. 

Years left is decent (4Y8M) , price (56k)

I have also looked at Kia Cerato as well as Hyundai Elantra. 

Would like to seek your thoughts on which would be a more worthwhile car and if so, what other cars would be an alternative? 

Really appreciate the help and all advice in advance! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
Just now, AikL91 said:

Thank you! 

Hi all, new potential 2nd hand car buyer here. Looking to get a 2nd hand car in the near future. 

The cars i shortlisted are roughly the same in terms of age (3Y8M left) and price (50k) 

2. Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6A

I personally like the way it looks. However, I do not really see much of this model on the roads and was wondering if there is a particular reason so. 

I have also looked at Kia Cerato as well as Hyundai Elantra

Would like to seek your thoughts on which would be a more worthwhile car and if so, what other cars would be an alternative? 

i would say a big no no to choice No.2. you are at the mercy of the sole agent and parts importer. Audi A3, Tivoli, Elantra and Cerato seems to be quite different. maybe state your criteria then people can suggest alternatives.

ie SUV or Hatch or Sedan. mileage high? need very good FC?  enjoy driving or just A to B car etc...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie
5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

i would say a big no no to choice No.2. you are at the mercy of the sole agent and parts importer. Audi A3, Tivoli, Elantra and Cerato seems to be quite different. maybe state your criteria then people can suggest alternatives.

ie SUV or Hatch or Sedan. mileage high? need very good FC?  enjoy driving or just A to B car etc...

For me personally, i like to drive and it will mostly be from Point A to Point B and the occasional errands. Mileage would not be very high as it will most likely be driven roughly 3 times a week. 

Mainly looking at more of sedan and SUV. Hence, why i chose Tivoli. 

Thanks for the opinion. Really appreciate it. 

Audi A3 and cerato / elantra are of different league. 

Drive wise go for audi.

Maintenance wise go for cerato/elantra.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Neutral Newbie
41 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Audi A3 and cerato / elantra are of different league. 

Drive wise go for audi.

Maintenance wise go for cerato/elantra.

I understand that a conti car can be quite costly in terms of maintenance. I would like to ask in terms of maintenance for audi, will a 3rd workshop be able to do the same job or would i need to send it back to the dealer? 

As this would be my 1st car, which might be a better option? 

for first time car buyer you should consider elentra or cerato for lower maintenance and repair costs.

Audi A3 gearbox may have issues  due to it being dry dual clutch which was known to be problematic many years back, not sure if the newer models have resolved the DSG issues..

• Praise 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, AikL91 said:

I understand that a conti car can be quite costly in terms of maintenance. I would like to ask in terms of maintenance for audi, will a 3rd workshop be able to do the same job or would i need to send it back to the dealer? 

Had Audi before but none of the DSG. Never serviced/repaired at tor kor. Always at outside WSs which are competent enough and reasonable enough. And my Audi's were a lot more complicated than the A3. 

In fact once my car was recalled to fix some steering hose. After that the engine started leaking oil. I suspect they not happy I never serviced with them....

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

Cerato/avante for sure. Get those coe car since first car confirm scratch here and there. Get used to it then by then u will have a clear mind of what u really want/need. 

Supersonic
22 hours ago, AikL91 said:

2. Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6A

Your selection maciam asking strangers if u shld order risotto, bulgogi or chicken rice. U gonna get all sorts of irrelevant answers

What is it you're looking for in a car?

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Soya said:

TS didn't say it was his first time buying car

he did say it will be his first car. 

(edited)
17 hours ago, AikL91 said:

wont be wrong by going with the general recommendation  here. Additional points to consider:

-  get one or two experience driver to go with you, especially those who have bought used car before. 

- avoid  falling pray of pressure selling tactic,

- dont simply place deposit until you are fully convinced.

- if in doubt, walk away and rethink, best is keep your wallet and credit cards elsewhere,   go grab your credit cards and wallet only when you are fully convinced.

- you will notice that every dealer will tell you that the car that  you are viewing has many potential buyers waiting, it is not true. if they say cannot hold it for you, ask them to sell  it off 

- best is to check for 2 or 3 past service records, see if you could get a mechanic to do a under carriage

and engine assessment. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Thank you all for the feedback and opinions. I guess it will be safe to say i will shortlist either a cerato or an avante due to its lower costs and years left. 

Which brings me to the next question, Kia or Hyundai? 😅

Tried reading around but was not able to get too much.

Would also like to know, if i were to negotiate for the price, usually what is the range the dealer is able to accept? (Ie 3k below asking price or 10%) 

Thanks in advance!

Supersonic
29 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

@AikL91 KIA is Spagetti bolonaise And Hyundai is Spag Carbonara. Same same yet not so same understand. [drivingcar]

Maybe what he really wanted was mee sua. Then how?

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Soya said:

Maybe what he really wanted was mee sua. Then how?

Mai hum version too? 😆

yes yes, I know it’s Mee siam…..

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, AikL91 said:

2. Ssangyong Tivoli 1.6A

#2 is a no go imho.

I wouldn't touch a car whereby the manufacturer is so unviable that it might close down sooner or later.

Moreover at 56k it's not cheap either, with depreciation at ~10k I suppose?

I probably would suggest looking at some one owner Vezels, as below:

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=999825

Or even the SX4 (unlikely to be phv but it's oddball, like the Tivoli)

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=968089

For sedans, you could consider:

Bigger is better, but for almost no added cost.

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=967089

Cheapest in market (Attrage not considered)

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1002418

Oddball yet practical (almost as big as Ceratoes)

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=973419

Luxury department:

No complaints, can scrap if GG:

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=993324

Edited by Brass
I love Mercedes Benz
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3