Shortlisted used cars on sgCarMart. Could use some advice!

AikL91

(edited)
4 hours ago, AikL91 said:

Thank you all for the feedback and opinions. I guess it will be safe to say i will shortlist either a cerato or an avante due to its lower costs and years left. 

Which brings me to the next question, Kia or Hyundai? 😅

Tried reading around but was not able to get too much.

Would also like to know, if i were to negotiate for the price, usually what is the range the dealer is able to accept? (Ie 3k below asking price or 10%) 

Thanks in advance!

Oh my goodness.....🤔

Negotiating of price should not base on what the dealer quote you unless is a new car. Do your home work with sgcarmart. Use those prices as benchmark. Slash a few k off depend on the condition of the car.

The bottom line be prepared to "walk". There will always be another better ride at the next dealer. Learning how to "walk" away sound easy but in practise difficult 

One tip though. Choose the first few dealers that you have no intent of buying. Chat and gather more info and experiences. 😄

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

On 6/29/2021 at 5:27 PM, AikL91 said:

For me personally, i like to drive and it will mostly be from Point A to Point B and the occasional errands. Mileage would not be very high as it will most likely be driven roughly 3 times a week. 

Mainly looking at more of sedan and SUV. Hence, why i chose Tivoli. 

Thanks for the opinion. Really appreciate it. 

For point A to point B car, have you tried taking grab regularly before?  Taking grab a lot will give you a sense of how to tell a car quality beyond spec like comfort, suspension and noise (wind noise, engine noise and whatever noise). 

Do you want driving / sitting pleasure? I think this is at least 3 level: 1) enjoyable, 2) hate to drive/ sit, 3) neutral (neither enjoy or hate). 

These Q should help you to decide. 

(edited)
5 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

One of the lowest depre around too. After COE shot up, it's almost impossible to find 5k 6k depreciation. Most are now in the 7k 8k range. 

You might as well buy a parf car for that money. I found some Avantes and Sylphys for 8k depre.

If you want you could go lower and get an Attrage or Cruze which is cheaper than some of the COE cars in terms of depreciation.

As for scraping the barrel:

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=1009246

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=999253

Or if a newly renewed car is preferred:

http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=991803

*Though the Jazz has higher scrap value, you can't eat parf and it remains a fact that the Altis is bigger.

Heck if I had no car now the new NV200 petrol looks damn tempting.

Edited by Brass

(edited)

So what if you’ve always wanted a Mercedes, but could never afford one? 
Such as a E class 220d with ultra high mileage 200k (with questionable history of being perhaps a Grab car) …would it still be a good and safe buy? 

If not, what are the things that can be done to make it an acceptable choice ?

Edited by Goldenmillion

7 hours ago, Goldenmillion said:

Such as a E class 220d with ultra high mileage 200k (with questionable history of being perhaps a Grab car) …would it still be a good and safe buy? 

It's not about the car you can afford to buy.It's actually makes sense to buy a car that you can afford to service and run.

• Praise 3

On 6/29/2021 at 11:34 PM, AikL91 said:

I understand that a conti car can be quite costly in terms of maintenance. I would like to ask in terms of maintenance for audi, will a 3rd workshop be able to do the same job or would i need to send it back to the dealer? 

As this would be my 1st car, which might be a better option? 

If you not earning close to 10k a month,  forget about conti cars 

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Hamburger said:

@Goldenmillion 

Forget it. Save yourself the hassle. You can thanks me later. 

I think the mileage is the least of the worry.

The questionable bit should be if it has been involved in a total write off.

I have witness a few resuscitated cars with major Jig and fixture alignment before it was sold as a Accident free car.

So need to take a bit of "risk" when the car is too good to refuse. Sometimes due to a price different of 1 K to mask any suspicious and suddenly have a "show and drama" of a 10K difference and the boss say, "cannot lah....sell u at this price.. "

but since my assistance make a mistake, "take it and go" hehehhehe

9 hours ago, Goldenmillion said:

affordability and mileage are two separate discussion, if one could never afford a certain brand, then dont buy, no need to think about it even the car has a genuinely low mileage. 

200k km for how long? 10 years ? this is normal usage in SGP . But if it is  a one  year old car, then for sure it is a grab car. Good or safe buy depends on the car condition, undercarriage etc. But if I have that money for a 1 year old Mercedes, i would rather buy a  new  one unless the car is sold at very very substantial discount.  

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Goldenmillion said:

i think a fair number of these were used by private hire (not necessarily grab) like wolero (airport transfers for those bank customers) .. if its black and has high mileage, chances are that it is ..

mileage high is like what the other bros here say, not on its own to say bad .. if they do the airport runs, then a lot is clocked running at 100kmh etc better than driving 200000km in stop start city driving .. 

Twincharged
15 minutes ago, Mooose said:

i think a fair number of these were used by private hire (not necessarily grab) like wolero (airport transfers for those bank customers) .. if its black and has high mileage, chances are that it is ..

mileage high is like what the other bros here say, not on its own to say bad .. if they do the airport runs, then a lot is clocked running at 100kmh etc better than driving 200000km in stop start city driving .. 

but probably whacked day in and out with different sets of drivers who couldn't care less. haha. cause i do the same with rentals when i travel. humps bumps whatever.. just plough thru.

• Haha! 1

Yeah. It black and sexy as hell. For me It’s the value proposition lor. 
for the low price you get a merc. And all the reputation and style that comes with it. 
but at the back of your head.. there’s that nagging feeling it’s been abused.and will it result in a major repair. 

• Haha! 1