Shortlisted used cars on sgCarMart. Could use some advice!

AikL91

6 minutes ago, Goldenmillion said:

Anyways. I think I dodged a lemon judging from the actions of the dealer. He just jacked the price up by a great deal. Unscrupulous 

Tsk tsk. 

No la. Dealer jack up price to help a potential make loan. Nothing to do with whether the car is a lemon or not

• Haha! 1

(edited)

I kinda understand what you mean. But that would drag that “potential” deeper into more unnecessary debt than he needs to incur no? 

Anyways. It’s a matter of integrity for me. If he does this without much thought then what else has he lied about?

I must be naieve to expect a car salesman to stick to what he says. I guess

Edited by Goldenmillion

(edited)
1 hour ago, Goldenmillion said:

@Ct3833 200k for 5 years. 
and as mentioned. 20-30% cheaper than market rate. 

200k km  for a 5 years car is high but not excessively high, whether the mileage  is genuine we don't know. 

This model is a PI model  , used to be sold at about $200k when new. So the depre should be $17.5k on average.  The current  depre of the used  car  is ridiculous.  Let's assume 20% discount from market rate  , the current  market depre is about $19k per year, so 20% discount meaning you should get it at $14k to15k depre, if 30%, the depre will be even lower, just do a quick math test to see if the sales is telling you the truth. There is a guy selling direct in sgcarmart, I didn't look into details, his price is priced to sell, you can go check it out. 

Edited by Ct3833

1 hour ago, Goldenmillion said:

I kinda understand what you mean. But that would drag that “potential” deeper into more unnecessary debt than he needs to incur no? 

Anyways. It’s a matter of integrity for me. If he does this without much thought then what else has he lied about?

I must be naieve to expect a car salesman to stick to what he says. I guess

Car salesmen are there to make sales not provide sound financial advice.

Yes you are naive to think that any salesman has your interests at heart when entertaining you. He is there for the (your) money first and foremost, that is what he is paid to do.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

20 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

but probably whacked day in and out with different sets of drivers who couldn't care less. haha. cause i do the same with rentals when i travel. humps bumps whatever.. just plough thru.

as i understand it - hearsay only and not verified though it may make sense - if the car is actually one of these cars that do the bank airport runs - like wolero - then wolero buys the cars and "employs" the drivers (partly on base salary and partly on number of runs made) and only one or two drivers are alloted that one car, instead of different sets of drivers ..

sure, fully understand the part about rentals and speed humps etc but in my mind, one (or two) drivers alloted to that one car makes them more responsible somewhat ..

what i am trying to say is that one car driven by two people over months much of it on expressways, is much better than one car driven by an "uncountable" number of drivers over the same period of time. 

14 hours ago, Goldenmillion said:

Anyways. I think I dodged a lemon judging from the actions of the dealer. He just jacked the price up by a great deal. Unscrupulous 

Tsk tsk. 

he may also have jacked up the price because coe price increased ..

19 hours ago, Goldenmillion said:

Makes you wonder what kinda money do these private hire dudes make to justify a e220d

if its a wolero car, then as i understand it, the company owns the car, and they need such cars to get the bank contracts to do the airport runs for the higher end customers .. these customers wont want to be sent from the airport to their hotel in an old vios ..

• Praise 1

Twincharged
3 hours ago, Mooose said:

as i understand it - hearsay only and not verified though it may make sense - if the car is actually one of these cars that do the bank airport runs - like wolero - then wolero buys the cars and "employs" the drivers (partly on base salary and partly on number of runs made) and only one or two drivers are alloted that one car, instead of different sets of drivers ..

sure, fully understand the part about rentals and speed humps etc but in my mind, one (or two) drivers alloted to that one car makes them more responsible somewhat ..

what i am trying to say is that one car driven by two people over months much of it on expressways, is much better than one car driven by an "uncountable" number of drivers over the same period of time. 

Majority of the e220d are used as limo service. Period. 
want to buy from not the 1st direct owner, then it is the luck of the draw. 

• Praise 1

Hi All, Looking for advise. A newbie here. I'm planning to get a second hand car. Maybe 4-5 yr old PARF ones. Will be a first time car buyer and have no experience. Whenever i travel outside for vacation, generally rents car. Which is mostly Malaysia 🙂 But never rented or owned one in SG. Right now planning to get second hand car since my wife will need to travel to Changi for work and we are located in West. Don't want to spend 40-50$ daily on Grab. Hence looking for compact SUV or good hatchback.

My budget is around 60-65K (if i get cheaper, better). Was going through sgcarmart and thought Honda Vezel, Nissan Quashqai, or maybe a Volvo hatchback will fit my needs. Do you guys think this makes sense? I have read many comments in this portal about hidden issues with second hand cars. Will buying an OPC car and converting it to regular make sure there will be much lesser issues? Not sure if will need to spend lot of $$ for converting. Any other suggestions on type of car. Are there any brand new cars you will get within 90K including COE and thinks makes more sense than 4-5 yr old ones?

Sorry, there are lot of questions above 🙂 Appreciate if some of the experts in this forum could have a look and give some advise!!

2 minutes ago, kpsreekanth said:

Hi All, Looking for advise. A newbie here. I'm planning to get a second hand car. Maybe 4-5 yr old PARF ones. Will be a first time car buyer and have no experience. Whenever i travel outside for vacation, generally rents car. Which is mostly Malaysia 🙂 But never rented or owned one in SG. Right now planning to get second hand car since my wife will need to travel to Changi for work and we are located in West. Don't want to spend 40-50$ daily on Grab. Hence looking for compact SUV or good hatchback.

My budget is around 60-65K (if i get cheaper, better). Was going through sgcarmart and thought Honda Vezel, Nissan Quashqai, or maybe a Volvo hatchback will fit my needs. Do you guys think this makes sense? I have read many comments in this portal about hidden issues with second hand cars. Will buying an OPC car and converting it to regular make sure there will be much lesser issues? Not sure if will need to spend lot of $$ for converting. Any other suggestions on type of car. Are there any brand new cars you will get within 90K including COE and thinks makes more sense than 4-5 yr old ones?

Sorry, there are lot of questions above 🙂 Appreciate if some of the experts in this forum could have a look and give some advise!!

looking at your choice, we may need to know your priorities is point A to B needs or Point A to B + travel in styles ?

😁

@Contipro Well first priority is point A to point B. Don't mind paying a little extra, if the car looks better and overall feels good 🙂 But not too much. Like 5-10K more if its a better brand and overall looks better is Okay.

Considering will be first time buying a car, was thinking perhaps better to drive something for a year or two before buying something more expensive. And don't need the bigger 7 seater ones or Sedan. So looking for hatchback or compact SUV. Would love an Audi or BMW ha ha.. but don't think i can get something in my price range. And also heard maintenance can be very high for these cars once its older than 4 or 5 years. 

@Volvobrick Volvo V40 is one of the models i had shortlisted. In general the price in sgmart for 4-5 year old was in the range 60-65k. There is like 100's of Honda Vezel's for sale in sgcarmart and i think with some negotiation, should be able to get one for 50K or lower for a 2016/2017 registered model. Does it really make sense to pay 15K extra for a Volvo hatchback? And also not sure how the maintenance will be for Volvo. If it starts having many issues once older than 3-4 years and end up spending even more.

You have to look at the scrap value which you get back when the car is 10. Depreciation will be about 10k a year I think for V40. 

My Volvos doesn't/didn't have serious issues. Can't say the same for Audi and BMW I owned before. 

@Volvobrick Thanks. Been struggling to find out what will the scrap value once a car reaches 10 yrs. Read many comments here which said u may just get 400-500$ for some cars and in some cases may be up to 2-2.5K. Is there some site where can check the scrap value of a car once it reaches 10 yrs?