James May properly drives his new Toyota Mirai for the first time.

kobayashiGT

He makes the car looks and sounds boring. Haha....

The car absolutely suits him and the Toyota unkers around the world.

I hope other car makers have something more exciting than this.

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Just watched it earlier today. He's always been a big fan of the Mirai.

yes, saw the videos he did on his first mirai too some time ago .. 

with just a handful of hydrogen filling stations in uk it takes a big fan to want one 😄

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Just watched it earlier today. He's always been a big fan of the Mirai.

Same as me. I also a big fan of hydrogen. hehehehe.

quite surprise toyota come out with a new car that run on hydrogen. can it run on other fuel or only hydrogen??

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Same as me. I also a big fan of hydrogen. hehehehe.

Hydrogen is boring to me unlike petrol or EV (no choice).

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Beregond said:

quite surprise toyota come out with a new car that run on hydrogen. can it run on other fuel or only hydrogen??

i think it only runs on hydrogen.

there is no plug in for electricity nor is there a petrol engine 😶

• Praise 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Beregond said:

The Mirai is a Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV), so only runs on hydrogen.

They also recently raced a modified GR Yaris with an ICE that runs on hydrogen. That is an alternative method of using hydrogen - burn it directly in a ICE.

https://www.motorsport.com/super-taikyu/news/toyota-corolla-hydrogen-fuji-future/6514557/

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 4

Just now, Toeknee_33 said:

The Mirai is a Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV), so only runs on hydrogen.

They also recently raced a modified GR Yaris with an ICE that runs on hydrogen. That is an alternative method of using hydrogen - burn it directly in a ICE.

👍 .but there is no way to sell these cars in volume expect for research purpose. unless countries got plans for hydrogen station.

the way i see future car will be run on electric and petrol diesel.

• Praise 3

Just now, Beregond said:

👍 .but there is no way to sell these cars in volume expect for research purpose. unless countries got plans for hydrogen station.

infrastructure needs to be there, from the video james may seems to suggest that germany has a large enough network of hydrogen filling stations to make owning such a car there viable.

hydrogen powered vehicles are yet another step more difficult to own, vs electric, because it is still possible and relatively not onerous to have a plug to recharge the electric car at home, but probably almost impossible to have your own hydrogen filling station in the house 🤪

• Praise 4

1 minute ago, Beregond said:

There is a raging debate about BEV's impact on the environment and how hydrogen could be a cleaner renewable energy. 

The current thinking is that hydrogen will power the HGVs, and electricity will power LGV and cars.

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/truck-news/2021/01/28/hgv-giants-agree-to-collaborate-on-development-of-hydrogen-trucks 

• Praise 3

Supersonic

talking about  environmental friendliness , blending with the nice scenery at the background with lots of fields, greens  along the way  , the video is pleasant to view . 😀

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Mooose said:

infrastructure needs to be there, from the video james may seems to suggest that germany has a large enough network of hydrogen filling stations to make owning such a car there viable.

hydrogen powered vehicles are yet another step more difficult to own, vs electric, because it is still possible and relatively not onerous to have a plug to recharge the electric car at home, but probably almost impossible to have your own hydrogen filling station in the house 🤪

It would be easier, not harder, if there is a network of filling stations. Your friendly neighbourhood petrol kiosk can also be modified to dispense hydrogen. Pump and go, just like fossil fuel.

Apparently there are already 90 stations in Germany.

Station.jpg

• Praise 3

10 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

There is a raging debate about BEV's impact on the environment and how hydrogen could be a cleaner renewable energy. 

The current thinking is that hydrogen will power the HGVs, and electricity will power LGV and cars.

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/truck-news/2021/01/28/hgv-giants-agree-to-collaborate-on-development-of-hydrogen-trucks 

11 minutes ago, Mooose said:

Full EV is definitely coming in as the next big thing.

many 3rd world and developing countries still have no plans to make any switch so petrol and diesel will still stay for a long long time. hard to imagine telling opec to stop their business also.....

if now hydrogen also come in .... can imagine the big squeeze 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Toeknee_33 said:

It would be easier, not harder, if there is a network of filling stations. Your friendly neighbourhood petrol kiosk can also be modified to dispense hydrogen. Pump and go, just like fossil fuel.

Apparently there are already 90 stations in Germany.

Station.jpg

yes, its easier with the infrastructure of hydrogen filling stations ..

haha sorry but i meant a hydrogen fuel cell car was harder to own vs an electric car in the sense that for an electric car, there is the option of charging it at home (say at night) but no similar option for the hydrogen fuel cell car ..

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
32 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Hydrogen is boring to me unlike petrol or EV (no choice).

I think is the novelty of the technology that I like about. hahah.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Beregond said:

many 3rd world and developing countries still have no plans to make any switch so petrol and diesel will still stay for a long long time. hard to imagine telling opec to stop their business also.....

true this, because of the cost of doing up the infrastructure ..

we take things like having constant electricity supplies for granted, but even some asean countries do not have 3-phase electricity throughout their country yet .. can see the many electricity wires from posts all over .. and there are brown-outs, electricity cuts from time to time for various reasons like storm or what ..

so yes, petrol and diesel (or ethanol or whatever combo) will still stay for a long time ..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2