Is it worth it to renew my Civic? Reaching 10 Years next June

Xkeviian

Neutral Newbie

Hi there, my Honda Civic is going to reach 10 years next June. I am thinking of extending the COE, but some say might as well get a new car because of my car's high mileage (already 180,000km). Any advice on which would be better? I am thinking of extending the COE because my usage has dropped quite a lot in the last 2 years (don't need to send wife to work or kids to school anymore), and I send the car to Koh Motors for servicing regularly, so I thought the car can tahan another 5 years. Thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

How much is the PARF to forgo? 180k is not extremely high.

But normal Civic is a B and B car, easy to compare the financials with a new (perhaps Korean) car. 

Supersonic

the parf of your civic is about 10k to 11k. COE 48k. all in about 58k. plus repair of about say 1k to 2k per year, your annual maint plus higher road tax would come to about  7k to 8k/year. 

New Kia Cerato is selling at 89k now with depre of about 8.3k. You might be better off buying a new Kia. 

• Praise 4

Agree, extend 10 years if Type R

otherwise just scrap and change car

i renewed mine and fc is soooo bad now (14 year old car)

Twincharged
(edited)
8 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

the parf of your civic is about 10k to 11k. COE 48k. all in about 58k. plus repair of about say 1k to 2k per year, your annual maint plus higher road tax would come to about  7k to 8k/year. 

New Kia Cerato is selling at 89k now with depre of about 8.3k. You might be better off buying a new Kia. 

How “dare” you compare the mighty civic to the cerato! 😂

not apples to apples for sure! 🤣

Jokes aside, yeah for 10k more a new car would be better, if just A to B car is needed. 
wonder which version of civic it is. A 2.0 might fetch some. Might be able to sell it off for some extra cash and let someone else renew instead. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

New car for me too if you plan to drive for 10 years. If it's only for 5 years, maybe reviewing is okay but you lose the parf and any repair you need to make in the 4-5th year will not be worth it as you have to scrap soon. 180k mileage means a lot more things to change soon too and more ex servicing. And if u ever need to sell, u will mostly just get back paper.

You mentioned about kids so I guess u have a good number of pax and I think the civic will compare poorly when compared with the new cars with safety systems. That itself is a dealbreaker. Can also consider 2 to 3 year old cars with AD servicing records if u don't plan to drive for 10.

• Praise 3

2nd Gear
11 hours ago, Xkeviian said:

Hi there, my Honda Civic is going to reach 10 years next June. I am thinking of extending the COE, but some say might as well get a new car because of my car's high mileage (already 180,000km). Any advice on which would be better? I am thinking of extending the COE because my usage has dropped quite a lot in the last 2 years (don't need to send wife to work or kids to school anymore), and I send the car to Koh Motors for servicing regularly, so I thought the car can tahan another 5 years. Thanks!

you mean June 2022 right? if yes too early now will see next year COE trend:)

• Praise 3

11 hours ago, Xkeviian said:

depend alot on the condition and maintenance. not the mileage

if u have drive it for like 5-10 years already then more or less u know what thing need to be done. if the car u alway take well care of, whenever problem arise u fix at once. there is no reason cannot renew.

the feeling of no monthly installment to pay for the car is dun know how to say😁 ,some more u say u drive very less now. from what u describe u want to renew, but main concern is car reliability.

just visit your trusted ws to have a gauge loh if u cannot judge yourself.

(there is no such thing as car reach 10 years suddenly will break down, sg ppl have this concept cos the bloody coe , if without the coe system, u will easily see 20 years old car in sg like in other country)

• Praise 9

Supersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

How “dare” you compare the mighty civic to the cerato! 😂

not apples to apples for sure! 🤣

Jokes aside, yeah for 10k more a new car would be better, if just A to B car is needed. 
wonder which version of civic it is. A 2.0 might fetch some. Might be able to sell it off for some extra cash and let someone else renew instead. 

Haha, i went through the state  before  I renewed  my Altis. I was contemplating new  Elantra  and  Altis, at that point in time, new Elantra was about 80k, Altis was 90+K,  because COE was 26k, parf+ body  10k, for 36k depre, meaning $300/per month,  the gap between new and old was too big. I ended up i renew my Atis .  no regrets so far. 

If i get him to compare new civic with his current civic, then there is slightly better reason for TS to renew his car.  And since he did not mentioned type R, I am assuming the normal Civic. Type R will be a different story. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

Twincharged
33 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

.  And since he did not mentioned type R, I am assuming the normal Civic. Type R will be a different story. 

what i meant was civic 1.6/1.8/2.0 Manual or Auto. For sure not Type R as it will be a no brainer to renew.

I mean there are some out there who would pay extra for a 2.0M and tart it up to be like a Type R. thus maybe can sell for a slight premium vs just scrapping.  so the extra few K can go towards the new car and thus reduce the difference.

• Praise 1

(edited)

If Type R > Renew
If non Type R > Consider not to renew

The PARF + COE + Inflated Road Tax + Additional maintenance would add up to nearly the cost of a new B&B car in similar segment

It also depends if you have done any major maintenance to the car i.e Replaced transmission, engine/transmission overhaul, radiator, condenser etc which might suggest that the next 10 years will less costly to maintain since the replaced parts could mean a lesser likelihood to break down again in the 11th to 20th year.

Edited by Aventa
  • Praise 2

Honda civic have no issue lasting beyond 10 years. Spare parts also available across the border once Malaysia border reopens.

I would say either renew COE, or order the new civic which comes with a new (detuned) turbo engine. Would not consider any pre-owned Civic from mid 2010s because they feature the same 1.6L engine from 2008 generation.

5 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

what i meant was civic 1.6/1.8/2.0 Manual or Auto. For sure not Type R as it will be a no brainer to renew.

I mean there are some out there who would pay extra for a 2.0M and tart it up to be like a Type R. thus maybe can sell for a slight premium vs just scrapping.  so the extra few K can go towards the new car and thus reduce the difference.

I suspect this Civic is the 9th gen, which is the zzz... version with only 1.6L generally.

Unless if TS really likes the appearance of the car, he could keep it, or otherwise he should scrap it and get something else, like a Shuttle (if he wants Honda) or the Cerato.

Hypersonic

When I first saw this car I was drooling.

But then as I see more and more, its not so appealing.

Its like a bit too fussy for everyday use.

Its a bit like eating foie gras, yes its very nice but do you want to eat it every day? 

image.thumb.png.2d3ad292bbba3539979042ee68731948.png

For an every day car I rather see this

image.png.ee51426b7d72bc1d492d659695284400.png

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

since your usage has dropped considerably, another option is to dispose at Year 10 then BMW or Grab. No point buy new or renew and put down a large expense upfront.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4