Is it worth it to renew my Civic? Reaching 10 Years next June

Xkeviian

Scrap and buy another with a few years COE left.

With 180k mileage,  very difficult to resell if you wanna change car further down the road.

↡ Advertisement

9 hours ago, RGG said:

you mean June 2022 right? if yes too early now will see next year COE trend:)

😂😂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Davidklt said:

With 180k mileage,  very difficult to resell if you wanna change car further down the road.

Why do you think 180k is difficult. Don’t you know at the stoke of a byte it can be any mileage you desire! 😂

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Davidklt said:

Most of the coe cars will be more than 200k km . And COE cars are difficult  to sell anyway, once renewed, must drive on.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the advice. Mine is the 'normal' 2012 Civic 1.6 VTIS AT, $6.4K COE value and $9.8K PARF if deregistered today. 

Have been sending to Kah Motors for regular servicing every 10,000 km, and changing what my mechanic friend say need to change. 

And yeah, dunno what the COE trends will be in 1 year's time. When I bought 9 years ago, was $64K. 

So now have 4 options to consider...

1.   Renew - maybe not 10 years, but 5 years

2.   Get new car - maybe don't need Honda or Civic. Cerato also looks quite nice 🙂

3.   Get used car - with good AD servicing record

4.   Need car meh? Grab lah... 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Actually the interior design of the Civic is quite special, and for that is worth renewing, as the newer generation of similar class cars no longer has the 2-Level Digital Speedometer, Large overflowing dashboard, conveniently placed handbrake, short-stick gearstick and the futuristic protruding Steering wheel.

Supersonic
(edited)
3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Why do you think 180k is difficult. Don’t you know at the stoke of a byte it can be any mileage you desire! 😂

my Altis 260kkm now and is still alive a kicking, but i have saved up enough to repair it anytime when it decides to fail on me😀. My friend's E200 went above 330k km before auto trans servicing. my ex Ody  not so lucky, gave up on me at 240k km. but repair cost of  about 2.4k is no so scary . 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 5

Twincharged
(edited)
8 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

my Altis 260kkm now and is still alive a kicking, but i have saved up enough to repair it anytime when it decides to fail on me😀. My friend's E200 went above 330k km before auto trans servicing. my ex Ody  not so lucky, gave up on me at 240k km. but repair cost of  about 2.4k is no so scary . 

Altis 4speeder is robust. Just keep up with 40k atf drain and fill. Should be able to last closer to 300k. Consider replacing the filter if you have not already done so. Or maybe just leave the filter and do drain and fill considering it is about on its last legs of the clutch material. When you do a rebuild, they will change everything too.  
I think it is over kill by local shops to replace atf filter at every 40k when they change the fluids. Atf filters should easily last 100k

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

11 hours ago, Xkeviian said:

Have been sending to Kah Motors for regular servicing every 10,000 km, and changing what my mechanic friend say need to change. 

And yeah, dunno what the COE trends will be in 1 year's time. When I bought 9 years ago, was $64K. 

if your car all the while is service and repair at AD , and u alway do what they recommend. i bet my ase your 9year old civic still in tip top condition.😂

if your only and main concern is reliability, i tell u no worry.

but if got other concern like other bro mention, maybe u want resell after u renew stuff like that, that is another issue.

but for me if i renew 5 years i will drive all the way .

• Praise 4

Twincharged
(edited)
12 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Most of the coe cars will be more than 200k km . And COE cars are difficult  to sell anyway, once renewed, must drive on.

Haha. Sgcarmart shows otherwise. 😂. Majority all 120-140k km.

I’m sure you know. Just positing here to update and prepare the newbies to the jaws of the used car trade. 

Edited by Mkl22

Trade in paper value for a newer car. Maybe dont need newest. 2019 onwards also good. 

otherwise after coe end, just bmw. Can see chio bu too

11 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Haha. Sgcarmart shows otherwise. 😂. Majority all 120-140k km.

I’m sure you know. Just positing here to update and prepare the newbies to the jaws of the used car trade. 

yeah every time looks at used cars notice all the milleage normally around 100k-140K max.😑 for more than 10 year old cars

• Haha! 1

5th Gear

I always laugh when people start saying oh 180k km is very high, car going to fall apart.

All my cars so far exceeded 200k km in less than 8yrs and after i sold them i still saw them on the road, one even used as Grab.

I sold them because of good deal,  nothing to do with mileage.

My kaki Lancer CS3 400k km and still going strong.

You think cars in US, Japan, Korea, China they run like 50km per day like us?

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 7/7/2021 at 12:03 AM, Ct3833 said:

I was in phuket taking a hire car service. That guy had a 400k km g10 altis which was close to totally silent on idle. We were stuck in traffic for some parts, so sat there in passenger seat for 1 hr.
Zero vibrations, excellent NVH. U would have thought it has start-stop technology or electric motor.
Very smooth pickup. Super cold AC. I can say that guy's car mechanical condition is excellent.
I drove the G10 for 6+ years with 120k km when i sold it and my car was nowhere in that condition when i sold it. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Renew COE is always the substantially cheapest option for a <1.8L engine Japanese car if the car is well maintained.  It should be good to go for another 10 years if one spends another $3-5k to change out the wear and tear parts.

If you are ok to do without a car for now, scrap the car, keep the PARF rebate with you. Hold on to maybe 1 to 2 years before deciding on a new ride.

Your insurance NCD can be retained for 2 years.

If between the 2 options, renew COE or buy new, I will choose to get a new ride. Your depreciation wont be too far off when you get a new Korean car (with 5 years warranty) as compared as to renewing your current COE. Not to forget over the next few years, you will also need to pay for additional 10% year on year road tax increase, and yearly vehicle inspection on top of the potential needs to replace more wear and tear items. 

40 minutes ago, happy_man said:

@Lala81 

Wow...I am impressed - not with 400k km altis, but with the attitude of Thai hire-car coy - At least they don't do ODO reset like some are allegedly committing in our  the 2nd hand market. 🤣

In thailand probably the car is owned not rented...

↡ Advertisement