Set-top boxes soon to be illegal; netizens slam telcos for expensive subscription fees

kobayashiGT

(edited)
2 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Little competition and monopoly? I don’t agree. Can have Starhub, Singtel, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, etc, etc. Pretty cheap considering the library you get. 

Why football is usually monopolized by 1 distributor?  AMDK? Need to find out who are behind dictating terms and pricing.  

Heng I not into football.

Global sports is now money above all else, just look at Tokyo Olympics. 

Unfortunately EPL, La Liga, etc are very powerful and to get the rights to show live matches is very expensive. There must be a large pool of subscribers to make it worth while for any company to get the rights. 

Subscription for EPL in the UK is not cheap either and usually only BT Sport or SkySports has the rights of some matches. 

Edited by Silver_blade
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Scion said:

think Singtel/Starhub cable subscription is declining in the past few years?

i say orh bi goot to them

the sports broadcasting companies may open lion mouth, but Singtel/Starhub themselves also willing to be carrot head to be chopped

u dun see Apple or Samsung jacking up their prices ridiculously for Singapore market

anyway i also dulan cos last year no football matches, but Singtel di siao di gong never gave rebates... i'm going to cancel when my contract ends later this year

Phones can be easily purchased overseas (little price arbitrage opportunity for the consumer after taking in cross border delivery charges etc) and used locally as long as the frequency bands fit. Phone producers can't do much in limiting Country A vendor from selling it overseas to a Country B customer. The phone is a physical good which can be delivered to different parts of the globe. Same for irons, chairs, TV, sound systems etc.

But Broadcasting rights are different from mobile phones. It is a non-physical thing. Those rules are drawn up by broadcasting companies. Besides EPL, your HBO, WB, Sony Pictures etc will also sell at different rates to different countries. That's why pay TV rates vary across countries. Same logic to my previous post on XXX Football League.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
21 hours ago, Blueray said:

my $0.02.

people willing to pay if its live football, Disney+, Netflix and maybe HBO.

the rest of the channels ... nah ...

Depends on the price... I lifelong footie fan... still remember when I could first afford to subscribe EPL for the first time so happy... now the thought of being force to wake up to watch champions league (since I pay for it) turn me off... totally unsubscribe and cancel my mio and hand back my settop box

Now Netflix/Disney/HBO Go only... last two still on free trial, will cancel HBO Go when it finishes

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic

Throw away your set top box

and come to MCF for all your entertainment needs.

And its all free.

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Turbocharged
On 7/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, Kyrios said:

Im paying $65 per mth (off season also pay) for BPL matches cross carriage arrangement. And is strictly BPL only. No FA cup, no international friendlies, no coca cola league cup etc

Save that $65 and find tons of streaming sites for free online..

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

reminiscing the good old 90s when English football, Italian Serie A and NBA were shown live and free on TV (think SBC or TCS)

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

Unfortunately EPL, La Liga, etc are very powerful and to get the rights to show live matches is very expensive. There must be a large pool of subscribers to make it worth while for any company to get the rights. 

Subscription for EPL in the UK is not cheap either and usually only BT Sport or SkySports has the rights of some matches. 

I often read that not all matches are televised even in the UK as well. So if one follows a less popular team, might not get to watch the games, especially away, at all.

I subscribe to Singtel Cast, $50 a month, pay 9 months and get 12 months of service. I get all matches for all teams from EPL, including cup games (League and FA), some La Liga games, UCL, UEL, even some championship games etc. I wish it was cheaper but it is what it is.

For this year Euro, tried one of those streaming from website, watch on PC screen still ok but if I want it on 65 inch 4K TV, quality drops. Also the stream can be interrupted anytime. Not complaining but if I am waking up at 3 am, I want an assured way of watching my fav team play with crisp video quality.

Different strokes for different folks I guess ...

• Praise 3

Supersonic

I don't even have a TV at home.  Got rid of it. ages ago. Everyone watches YouTube and Netflix on tablets, phones or laptops.  

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't even have a TV at home.  Got rid of it. ages ago. Everyone watches YouTube and Netflix on tablets, phones or laptops.  

Yeah, watch YouTube is more than enough.

More time for retirement? Go run 10km sure can sleep well tonight.

giphy.gif

• Haha! 2

Supercharged

Setup top boxes should be illegal.  

Setup top boxes with subscriptions to watch 1000000 channels should be illegal. Those are just scams. 

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)

total ban on internet.

problem solved.

internet is the root of all evil.

when companies can't make their money, they resort to law, instead of being innovative.

Edited by Kb27
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 7/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, mersaylee said:

He's not anti MIL activist lah...he's actively very focused...just one and only target...won't sway...just a bit suay that he can still smell her...😁

Ppl like james are quite common, only he is brave to admit his love.

Just this week someone confided that whenever he goes to his mil place, he's expected to bring food. He always makes sure its tasty and the highest cholesterol option there is.

• Haha! 1

Is there any locally based company that sells a STB with high quality content that is copyright paid? I am for paying what I want to watch. If I do not pay, then the broadcasters will stop broadcasts when there is not enough revenue for them to continue doing so.

However, I am not in favor for paying a sports package that comprises many sports that I do not watch. Which is what Starhub and Singtel forces me to do. 

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 7/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, Scion said:

reminiscing the good old 90s when English football, Italian Serie A and NBA were shown live and free on TV (think SBC or TCS)

Im surprised Mediacorpse is not broadcasting the Euro Finals tonight..usually for World Cup, the semis and final match will be free. Ok looks like i can turn in early tonight..tomolo morning then check scores..🥱

Cost of living really up up up in SG..but i just simply refuse to concede defeat to market capitalism..

Edited by Kyrios
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
15 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

Im surprised Mediacorpse is not broadcasting the Euro Finals tonight..usually for World Cup, the semis and final match will be free. Ok looks like i can turn in early tonight..tomolo morning then check scores..🥱

Cost of living really up up up in SG..but i just simply refuse to concede defeat to market capitalism..

With VPN you can probably watch the finals somewhere online where it’s free 

• Praise 2

Twincharged

The solutions are nearly always simple but made complicated and confusing.

Like our COE, ERP and etc. Like it or not, NOT only vehicle owners are slaughtered to pay but the general public using one form or another form of transportation also pay because the cost trickles down.

We have to ask why the need for NTUC with the largest retail shops need to impose delivery and service fee. Service fee is not waived even if buy a million dollar worth of condoms. The service fee is suppose to pay the pickers in the supermarket. Really? I still get rotten Korean strawberries? 

Questions include why are citizens looking beyond our local channels? Many asking for parliament sessions to be telecast live also cannot. Cannot be all watching prawn right? Why now? Over years we have new player in the market but everyone of them, Singtel got a share in them. So how?

In this pandemic we spent more than $100 billion but just how much of this amount really make a difference?

Perhaps using less than $1 billion for licensing fee can allow all Singaporeans to watch all favorite channels except prawn or crab channels. We can retired all the expensive staff in Mediacorpse and retire our renovation contractor.

I am just being vindictive because I am probably going to head another organization soon. 

• Haha! 1