Mobile Contactless Payment Discussion

Blueray

Noticed more and more food stalls at hawker centres and coffeeshops now accept mobile contactless payment.

Looking to set up mobile contactless payment on my android hp and would like to know the following 

1. most user friendly interface

2. linked to bank account or credit card

3. uses QR code or NFC

Thanks in advance for feedback and suggestions.

🙏

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

34 minutes ago, Blueray said:

Noticed more and more food stalls at hawker centres and coffeeshops now accept mobile contactless payment.

Looking to set up mobile contactless payment on my android hp and would like to know the following 

3. uses QR code or NFC

🙏

1) Any banks will accept the SGQR. Friendly interface depends on individuality bank app.

2) Bank Account

3) QR Code

I'll usually use PayLah as its the most quick to make the transaction.

• Praise 3

GrabPay cos I use Grab and GrabFood quite often.

If not Samsung pay on paywave terminal. 

Also link my transport card to phone. I ever forget to bring wallet to work a few times,  but still able to take transport, dine and shop.

if phone no battery I can beg [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Blueray said:

3. uses QR code or NFC

🙏

1) My go-to mobile payment is grabpay & fave pay.

- Grab pay can earn point

-Fave pay can earn rebate.

2) I will link my gray pay top up to my amex cashback CC, can earn cash back.

3) The payment mode is depends on the vendor. those who accept credit card, will have credit card terminal. whereas smaller stall like hawkers will just use QR code. But both work fine. No complaints for both method.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
9 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

GrabPay cos I use Grab and GrabFood quite often.

If not Samsung pay on paywave terminal. 

Also link my transport card to phone. I ever forget to bring wallet to work a few times,  but still able to take transport, dine and shop.

if phone no battery I can beg [laugh]

Can only beg for battery juice. hahaha. if they e-wire you money, you also cannot use. 😂

(edited)

Too many service providers  that cause confusion and not all generally accepted in all places. 

I was in China and basically there are two and made no mistake, acceptance is almost 99%

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 3

Sorry, I a bit of mountain tortoise ....  [:(]

Can PayLah be used on those hawkers with QR code ?  [:/]

Have not tried paying hawker's food using QR code. I used PayLar for on line purchases or paying friends only. [:)]  

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

2) I will link my gray pay top up to my amex cashback CC, can earn cash back

this one still can meh?  i thought most cc already removed rebates and min spend count for top ups to mobile wallets?

😬

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, Enye said:

this one still can meh?  i thought most cc already removed rebates and min spend count for top ups to mobile wallets?

😬

I am using this card. The cashback still counts.

https://theshutterwhale.com/blog/2021/5/4/uob-and-american-express-launch-new-uob-absolute-cashback-card-with-17-flat-cashback-on-almost-everything-including-commonly-excluded-categories-eg-insurance-bills-and-wallet-top-ups

Supersonic
4 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Have not tried paying hawker's food using QR code. I used PayLar for on line purchases or paying friends only. [:)]  

Paylah can be used. Even though i have not try using it. I tried using grabpay before.

5 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Too many service providers  that cause confusion and not all generally accepted in all places. 

I was in China and basically there are two and made no mistake, acceptance is almost 99%

Unlike China, we have SGQRcode.

Any payment app works including wechat pay

5 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

It works as long as it SGQRcode.

I have been actively using it post-CB last year.

(edited)

For Android it should be Android pay to do paywave payments.

Google Pay(similar to Apple's Wallet), just add a debit/credit card account. It is easy to setup. You can also add Paynow into Google Pay. Open the app scan the QR code from the vendor and key in the amount, then submit.

Another popular one which I am also using is Favepay. Same, download the app, add a debit/credit card account. Scan the vendor QR code and key in amount and submit. Favepay is available in foodcourts such as Republic FC but not all the stalls. Those chain stalls like WeeNamKee chicken rice or BlancoCourt Beef noodle they dont use favepay but they have paywave. Marks& Spenser is also using Favepay. Favepay is good because of their rebate. The next time you patron the same store the rebate will auto deduct. You dont have to press or do anything. Favepay is also getting common at those basement foodstalls in malls.

For me I use my iphone to to do all of my payments. Paywave and Favepay especially. I did download Google Pay but it is like not common. You can also use GooglePay to pay your friends cos there is the Paynow option(if you are not using any bank app). 

Look around and see what is common for you. Cos for my workplace some hawker stalls are using Favepay. 

Paywave is using NFC. So you have to hold your phone near to the machine (looks exactly like the NETS machine).

Favepay, GooglePay, PayNow you have to scan the QR code and key in the amount manually, then submit.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1