Jaguar New Boss Explains Why The XJ Had To Die

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

screenshot-www.motor1.com-2021_07.12-10_06_24.png.7170c5e4747f696bac511490292f9d0f.png

A worthy sacrifice.

If you haven’t noticed, Jaguar and Land Rover are under new management. JLR’s new CEO,  Thierry Bollore, officially started work in September of 2020 where he began rolling out his new vision for the stalling brands. Thierry Bollore started his first month working at JLR driving around every single Jaguar and Land Rover product to learn the brand. He also killed off the Jaguar XJ luxury sedan.

Starting a new job is never easy and joining a passionate team like the group at JLR as CEO must be a daunting task. The situation when Thierry Bollore joined was very clear, Land Rover was a massively successful brand with a clear growth path and Jaguar could use a little work. Previous management imagined Jaguar as a BMW competitor and aligned the brand’s models to compete with BMW’s product offerings. Jaguar found some success with this strategy, but as Thierry Bollore told Autocar, why would you buy a product imitating something that you could simply go out and purchase.

Thierry Bollore’s vision is quite simple, build Jaguar products that are uniquely Jaguars and stop trying to imitate customers. Thierry Bollore is tired of making copies and wants to see Jaguar focus on delivering originals. Bollore went on to explain his vision to Autocar, “ “The plan I brought to the company now looks like the minimum we can achieve. Reimagine is a live project and I have been amazed by the number of people who think we can go further and faster. It has become a cooperative effort with the team.”

In addition to reimagining Jaguar’s products, reliability is a top priority. Jaguar and Land Rover products have suffered in recent reliability assessments so rectify these issues is an important step to build the brand. We look forward to the future of JLR as their new CEO enacts this masterful plan for a strong future.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

lucky he know this😅

In addition to reimagining Jaguar’s products, reliability is a top priority. Jaguar and Land Rover products have suffered in recent reliability assessments so rectify these issues is an important step to build the brand

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 4

"suffered in recent reliability assessments"

I almost fell off my chair laughing!

"recent"? Thought it is since donkey knows when! 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 7

14 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

"suffered in recent reliability assessments"

I almost fell off my chair laughing!

"recent"? Thought it is since donkey knows when! 

In human history, invention of automobile is considered recent 🤣

• Haha! 5

BMW must be laughing at them for dunno how long.

From wiki,

"Thierry Bolloré is a French businessman, currently CEO of Jaguar Land Rover. He began his career at Michelin, then joined *Faurecia in 2005 and Renault in 2012 as Chief Competitive Officer, then was named COO in 2018, before becoming CEO from November 2018 to October 2019."

*Faurecia SE is a French global automotive parts maker and supplier.

Prospects not looking good for JLR.

• Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

BMW must be laughing at them for dunno how long.

From wiki,

"Thierry Bolloré is a French businessman, currently CEO of Jaguar Land Rover. He began his career at Michelin, then joined *Faurecia in 2005 and Renault in 2012 as Chief Competitive Officer, then was named COO in 2018, before becoming CEO from November 2018 to October 2019."

*Faurecia SE is a French global automotive parts maker and supplier.

Prospects not looking good for JLR.

Just in case anyone wanna know his past career. hahaha.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/thierry-bolloré/

Twincharged

From crappy Renault to crappy JLR. the only good news is the Brits continue to make crap. someone has to be at the bottom.😁

was there ever a reliable british made car?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

From crappy Renault to crappy JLR. the only good news is the Brits continue to make crap. someone has to be at the bottom.😁

Got! The millions of British-made Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas! 😂

Until lately, the Honda Civic Type R (EP3, FN2, FK2, FK8) is made exclusively in the UK before exporting worldwide, even back to Japan.

The Nissan Qashqai is considered almost as a Brit invention!

They are very proud of that you know....haha!

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Must wait for another Euros cup lor. See if they win euro cup anot.If never win, the worker no motivation to work one. 😁

Jaguar cars are very far off the pace as compared to the German equivalence. Their performance, reliability, styling (dated) and fuel efficiency are a few steps behind maybe due to a lack of proper investment. Jags used to be very sexy and were oft-times serious contenders to the Germans.

If I were the CEO, I will probably kill off Jaguar instead of just the XJ (I thought XJ is already dead), and then focus on Land Rover with BEV-option only. The E and F Pace don't serve any real purpose anymore because people who are into alternative models to the Germans SUV will just buy the Land Rovers.

Otherwise it will be a slow death for Jaguar and deprive Land Rover of the oxygen they need to stay competitive.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Jaguar cars are very far off the pace as compared to the German equivalence. Their performance, reliability, styling (dated) and fuel efficiency are a few steps behind maybe due to a lack of proper investment. Jags used to be very sexy and were oft-times serious contenders to the Germans.

If I were the CEO, I will probably kill off Jaguar instead of just the XJ (I thought XJ is already dead), and then focus on Land Rover with BEV-option only. The E and F Pace don't serve any real purpose anymore because people who are into alternative models to the Germans SUV will just buy the Land Rovers.

Otherwise it will be a slow death for Jaguar and deprive Land Rover of the oxygen they need to stay competitive.

Land Rovers are just as rubbish. 😁

anything good from the British were lost after WW2.  even the low volume production mclaren is plagued with problems.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
13 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

When I rode at the back of a Jaguar XE in 2016 (friend was test-driving) - I noted that the interior bits don't look much better than a B&B japanese car like Corolla. Fit and finish was poor for that premium category.

Yah I think there is no way back for them.

In terms of performance (BMW), reliability (Japs), comfort (Merc), interior quality (Audi), resale value (everyone else) they can't win anyone in any category. 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
5 hours ago, Beregond said:

lucky he know this😅

In addition to reimagining Jaguar’s products, reliability is a top priority. Jaguar and Land Rover products have suffered in recent reliability assessments so rectify these issues is an important step to build the brand

Have to improve on reliability indeed.

What is a Jaguar if the jaguar cannot run.:grin:

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Land Rovers are just as rubbish. 😁

anything good from the British were lost after WW2.  even the low volume production mclaren is plagued with problems.

Almost all British cars are junky.

Last time my driving instructor's car a Rover 416 so many problems.

Thank goodness he changed to a Honda Civic.

• Haha! 1

Huh he had to test drive every model to see what the brand was all about?

That's like asking a virgin to run a brothel.

First thing he do is test all the model to find out what its all about.

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

8 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Almost all British cars are junky.

Last time my driving instructor's car a Rover 416 so many problems.

Thank goodness he changed to a Honda Civic.

Rover 416 was a Honda Concerto with Brit engine.....

Let me guess - engine problems? 

• Haha! 1

This is called the cult of the manager.

As if he tested all the models and "he" can tell what the brand is all about.

Actually "he" does not matter.

Its not him that's buying the car, its the customer.

What he should do is talk to the customer and ask them what kind of Jag they would like to buy.

And let them tell him what they will buy and what they don't want.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Rover 416 was a Honda Concerto with Brit engine.....

Let me guess - engine problems? 

Should have let the Brits design the shape and Honda to design the engine.

Honda is not just a car marker they are one of the biggest engine builders in the world.

↡ Advertisement