Jaguar New Boss Explains Why The XJ Had To Die

kobayashiGT

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Rover 416 was a Honda Concerto with Brit engine.....

Let me guess - engine problems? 

I think it is related. My instructor remarked that the car overheated often. And at that time it was like 3 to 4 years old car.
And many times he unlocked (but not unlatched) the bonnet hoping to let off some heat from the opening.

I also felt that its steering was relatively heavy.
Anyway when he changed to a Honda Civic, subjectively I feel the Honda so much easier to manoeuvre. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
9 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Huh he had to test drive every model to see what the brand was all about?

That's like asking a virgin to run a brothel.

First thing he do is test all the model to find out what its all about.

:D

Well, he's not a virgin.
It just that he has not tried those jaguar's pussies.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

This is called the cult of the manager.

As if he tested all the models and "he" can tell what the brand is all about.

Actually "he" does not matter.

Its not him that's buying the car, its the customer.

What he should do is talk to the customer and ask them what kind of Jag they would like to buy.

And let them tell him what they will buy and what they don't want.

But....he also has to put himself in the customers' shoes in order to understand what the customers want.:grin:

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

actually unreliability of any cars very seldom got to do with engine. modern engine not so easy break down.

but those plastic hose and connector  for air water oil and turbo. faulty easily breakdown sensor or switch that keep giving fault code.

i think this is the most common problem got modern conti cars. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Beregond said:

actually unreliability of any cars very seldom got to do with engine. modern engine not so easy break down.

but those plastic hose and connector  for air water oil and turbo. faulty easily breakdown sensor or switch that keep giving fault code.

Of course pure engine block/cam shaft and other solid metal components by themselves are unlikely to fail, but all the parts you mentioned are parts that make up what we refer to as the engine.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 2

28 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Should have let the Brits design the shape and Honda to design the engine.

Honda is not just a car marker they are one of the biggest engine builders in the world.

Honda was very innovative back then. The Concerto (and probably Civic) then already had double wishbone suspension all round (which 911 recently adopted for the front I think), not just good engines. 

Those were the days when Honda Mclaren/Williams dominated F1 too.

• Praise 3

35 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Of course pure engine block/cam shaft and other solid metal components by themselves are unlikely to fail, but all the parts you mentioned are parts that make up what we refer to as the engine.

In the case of the infamous Rover K-series engines, it was the head gaskets that always fail, leading to overheating and eventual engine failure. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Should have let the Brits design the shape and Honda to design the engine.

Honda is not just a car marker they are one of the biggest engine builders in the world.

The perfect car has the racing heritage of the British, the design flair of the Italians, the technology of the Germans, the reliability of the Japanese and the price of the Koreans.

Any country I’ve omitted is intentional.

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Almost all British cars are junky.

Last time my driving instructor's car a Rover 416 so many problems.

Thank goodness he changed to a Honda Civic.

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

If I recalled correctly, the then popular in SG Rover 416 had Honda SOHC engines. A quick check with wiki seems to confirm my guess.

The earlier pre-FL Rover 214 had Brit K-series.

• Praise 2

27 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

The perfect car has the racing heritage of the British, the design flair of the Italians, the technology of the Germans, the reliability of the Japanese and the price of the Koreans.

Any country I’ve omitted is intentional.

Comfort of the French, and utility of the Swedes. Brits are good for the opulence of the interior. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

(edited)

Rover K series engines?

I think they were held together by 10 bolts

You can see the 10 holes where the 10 bolts go in.

If you don't like your MIL you can loosen the 10 bolts a bit.

image.thumb.png.7b1de6551bb4e4cbd59339dac1983207.png

image.png.0193b425929e03942b4f7f6d27c085d9.png

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

When I rode at the back of a Jaguar XE in 2016 (friend was test-driving) - I noted that the interior bits don't look much better than a B&B japanese car like Corolla. Fit and finish was poor for that premium category.

Yah I think there is no way back for them.

In terms of performance (BMW), reliability (Japs), comfort (Merc), interior quality (Audi), resale value (everyone else) they can't win anyone in any category. 

for XE, the space at the back is small

Interior Quality is so so, does not look premium

But the drive,  the "roar" , and zipping in and out is good, much better than Jap and Merc    

sadly resale prices not so good

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

When I rode at the back of a Jaguar XE in 2016 (friend was test-driving) - I noted that the interior bits don't look much better than a B&B japanese car like Corolla. Fit and finish was poor for that premium category.

Yah I think there is no way back for them.

In terms of performance (BMW), reliability (Japs), comfort (Merc), interior quality (Audi), resale value (everyone else) they can't win anyone in any category. 

The XE is too small for me... i'm about 1.7m and my head touches the roof when i sit behind, very tight rear space, and when i got into the driver's seat for the first time, i bumped my knee against the protruding side air con vent. Interior quality was also lacking as overall interior construction felt hollow. But the moment i took it out for a spin, the ride and handling balance is just astonishing. I rank it at the top of the class - sublime primary and secondary ride comfort with a very connected steering, like as if the car has claws gripping the road. The car was just so fun to drive. At that time (I think it was 2016?), probably the other car that was almost as good in that class was the BMW 3-series with M-Sport suspension, though it loses out on being able to round off the bumps as nicely as the Jag XE, especially mid-corner. Jag XE is certainly not a good all-rounder, as if Jaguar designed it first as a sports car and then as a daily car. I reckon Jaguar is like Subaru... both are small volume manufacturers with limited budget, and they prioritise the budget on the engineering bits, leaving not much left for the interior and overall interior quality. 

• Praise 4

Twincharged
5 hours ago, Beregond said:

I respectfully disagree. Until 10years ago, you still have many engines with oil consumption, bad piston rings and timing chain stretch and jump teeth. You would think that such simple problems would be a thing of the past. 

• Praise 3

5 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I respectfully disagree. Until 10years ago, you still have many engines with oil consumption, bad piston rings and timing chain stretch and jump teeth. You would think that such simple problems would be a thing of the past. 

2014 - Porsche had to recall the 911.1 version of the GT3 to replace the 3.8L engine. "The original engines were found to have an issue with a loosened screw joint on the piston connecting rod, though Porsche sources have said the latest engine problem is in the valvetrain of the flat-six motor and it was less troublesome to simply remove the engines and replace them with all-new motors."

The same engines were subject to a 2nd recall due to a "metallurgical defect in certain batches of "finger followers," a pivoting rocker arm in the valvetrain"

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2