Slashing incident at River Valley High School, victim killed

Yamapi

Hypersonic

The boy was not physically in court. No point for the parents to turn up to "support".

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, awhtc said:

Attempted suicide plus random vicious murder at a young age.  It will be difficult for society to trust such a person roaming freely as one never knows when he will snap again.  I wonder what will be the judgement.

likely prison or IMH for the rest of his life...

• Sad 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

No thanks to the liberal politically-correct agenda driving education these days, many "mental" cases are still being pushed into mainstream, despite warning signs.

Worse, to avoid stigmatization, their condition is kept secret even from teachers. When they explode, it is totally unexpected.

Parents also need to accept their kid's strength and limitations. If cannot make it in certain schools, then don't over-push. Our education system has various paths these days.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 7

3 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Gagged order meant media also cannot publish family details etc. 

Yes I know but not social media of different ones. Just a photo or picture of parents is probably a good starting point, can be snapped by anyone there and shared. 

Perhaps "this friend's son / daughter say its xxxxxxxxxxxxxx who did it" and then photos shared, Facebook, WhatsApp, twitter, telegram, kpo group chats etc. 

I meant it could be reason why parents decide not to attend. They can visit their son when they are allowed to, in time, in private. 

Stay safe 

• Praise 3

29 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/teenager-charged-murder-schoolmate-river-valley-high-school-15251294?cid=FBcna&fbclid=IwAR0q5hbN8pN2uiT19J2xI6AHBGrtsZRRvyWfsF7g2wtsSFDuYadFMEiYkNY

Parents engaged lawyer but told him that they won't appear in court.  So sad, shouldn't they be there to support him even he has done something wrong?

Poor boy was a patient of IMH and had attempt sucide 2 years ago.

the child is not in court. video link. So no point for the parents to be there for the charging.

• Praise 2

20 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

This action alone says a lot about the family. 

I won't jump to conclusion - the boy appeared via video link, not physically in court. Plus the amount of shock and grieve is not something we as outsiders can comprehend.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

No thanks to the liberal politically-correct agenda driving education these days, many "mental" cases are still being pushed into mainstream, despite warning signs.

Worse, to avoid stigmatization, their condition is kept secret even from teachers. When they explode, it is totally unexpected.

Parents also need to accept their kid's strength and limitations. If cannot make it in certain schools, then don't over-push. Our education system has various paths these days.

I agree. 

Mental illness is still a big stigma in most if not all societies. 

It's very difficult to understand when and how one can explode, what sudden provocations or even focused planning of harmful activity takes place in such a mind. 

So many scenarios, fluid agents to trigger, family background, genetic or hereditary possibilities, school culture, parenting styles, external factors like violence on shows, games etc etc. 

A simple easy way out would be to keep all under medication (I do not agree), their lives forever as zombies but society at large will be extremely safe from their unpredictable explosive mental state. 

Personally, I want to know if this boy is under medication and if he's monitored to take it regularly, go for scheduled visits to see his doctor and is the school aware of his condition. No, why? Yes, what did they do to look after him in the classroom/school context. 

Axe bought online? Who at home received the package? Money from who? 

I dread to think of future days where school start to have metal detectors at entrance. I sincerely hope it will not come to that stage. Hopefully, no copycats too. 

Just my thoughts. 

Stay safe 

• Praise 4

off topic from the main issue but  do those elite IP school allow/have option of  the students taking O levels at end of sec 4 equivalent  as fall back plan in case the school or the student feels he/she cannot cope with IP demands and wants to revert to normal O levels?? 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

off topic from the main issue but  do those elite IP school allow/have option of  the students taking O levels at end of sec 4 equivalent  as fall back plan in case the school or the student feels he/she cannot cope with IP demands and wants to revert to normal O levels?? 

they have i think. But it can be an issue.

Remember the saga several years ago, that some O level students in RI failed the O levels. They were students who couldn't keep up and switched to O level stream. Then the school itself is not prepared to teach the O level curriculum, teachers no longer familiar etc.

• Praise 3

46 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

Boh pian, lim peh was from ah beng school, dunno about IP or IB. Can eat or not? :D

Limbey also from ah beng Sch,  and I love ah lian.... [laugh]

KNN,  IP/IB you no know ah?  

IP is you play play limbey check your computer address then you know. 

IB is if you disagree with me with anything I say here,  even if is 1pm or 1:01pm,  then you are KNNBCCB PAP IB,  you understand now?  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

20 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I won't jump to conclusion - the boy appeared via video link, not physically in court. Plus the amount of shock and grieve is not something we as outsiders can comprehend.

The original report gave the impression he is charged in court in person and no mentioned of video link. 

Hence I felt, as parents they should be there. 

• Praise 1

24 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Limbey also from ah beng Sch,  and I love ah lian.... [laugh]

KNN,  IP/IB you no know ah?  

IP is you play play limbey check your computer address then you know. 

IB is if you disagree with me with anything I say here,  even if is 1pm or 1:01pm,  then you are KNNBCCB PAP IB,  you understand now?  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

euu donch guaii lanxz ah. later iie call miie gan korz come beat chew thn euu knw. 

41 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Many places/countries have similar systems and values as Singapore. 

HK, China, Korea, Japan, Thailand. 

Strong emphasis on academic results, going to top unis will meant future is more secured. 

Route to such unis start from primary school....see how parents do to ensure getting kids into "good" school. 

Nevermind what political preference/idealogy, most of our societies are still leaning towards elitist model. 

Just look at the stress students for all the places I mentioned, the sucide rates and rates of mental issues.. 

We can see how much societal pressures are placed on kids. 

Family clusters also getting smaller compare to decades ago.. With one or 2 kids for each family....

Less kids don't mean more parental attention... But meant less peers to play with. 

Most kids have their own cocoon... Need to engage them to see their mental and physical well being. 

• Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

the child is not in court. video link. So no point for the parents to be there for the charging.

oic

35 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

Can take as private students? 

1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

Not sure if he is taking O'level or skip O'level, 

RVHS has Integrated programme. 

Think no O levels for him cos RVHS is a IP school but they still need to meet certain GPA to promote to next level.  Quite stressful.  More stressful then those O level students.

• Praise 5

(edited)
1 hour ago, Vid said:

The boy was not physically in court. No point for the parents to turn up to "support".

oic.  

If me even via video link i would be there too.  To see my boy even via video link.  And also let him know i can "there".  

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic
19 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

oic.  

If me even via video link i would be there too.  To see my boy even via video link.  And also let him know i can "there".  

Pretty sure there are other ways for the parents to be "there" for the boy.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1