Slashing incident at River Valley High School, victim killed

Yamapi

Turbocharged

chill bros.. no need dumb here toopid there..

we are profession in our own industry and of cos we dunno how other industry work at times.. that's why sharing is caring lah...

I think think asking AXE brand to move their ad to other day definitely not easy as i believe other brand had oredi book their slots.. so not easy to insert to other day as need other ad to agree to it.. so in a short span of time not easy..

when working with tight timeline at times we do forget to look into details and sensitivity..

my take only lah.. I not in print industry but the one sleeping next to me been with that company 20 years but she in other dept.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Atonchia said:

How to ensure he won't do it again? 

There was a recent case of a son who suffered from schizophrenia stopped taking his regular medication and eventually killed his mom. 

Also the Yishun NS guy went around stabbing joggers. 

Woodland case killing a young mother. 

Punggol jogger during CB kenna randonly stabbed to death.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

chill bros.. no need dumb here toopid there..

we are profession in our own industry and of cos we dunno how other industry work at times.. that's why sharing is caring lah...

I think think asking AXE brand to move their ad to other day definitely not easy as i believe other brand had oredi book their slots.. so not easy to insert to other day as need other ad to agree to it.. so in a short span of time not easy..

when working with tight timeline at times we do forget to look into details and sensitivity..

my take only lah.. I not in print industry but the one sleeping next to me been with that company 20 years but she in other dept.

could the 6 month lead time be the reason why ad revenues are dwindling in sph?

Is it very hot real estate on the front page? I dont know how this works but not everyday they print at the bottom front page advert? sorry i never read st for decades liao.

but i think magazine ads can be more responsive?

frankly i would not blames axe oil for the ad. it is more amusing to me and like i said, life is indeed stranger than fiction.

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Tianmo said:

sometimes I wonder, do you guys think before you shoot?

anyone knows how media booking works?  Not that i am defending SPH on this, but lets get the facts straight first before we just anyhow shoot just to shoot at them.

where the axe brand is, is the only advertisement section on the front cover page, and it cost more than any other pages. The space is booked way ahead, sometimes as early as 6 months, and approved artwork MUST be submitted 24 hrs before print time, which is 5/6pm the day before, which in this case is last Friday because of the weekend. 

Now, the space was bought by Axe brand, and they pay for it way before the incident happen. What do you expect SPH to do? 

So if the weapon was a knife, then Knife brand oil cannot advertise?  Coconut and no coconut drinks there? 

Come on lah, dont be stupid leh, its like picking a bone out of an egg.....

Shoot also be just and fair leh......-_-[laugh][laugh]

.Mr umbrage say one, they don't concede to to their customers or advertisers. So just print both..🤣

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

Yup from Straits Times. 

Was a day before print...

But not front page type... 

So if timing is really close is down to the paper to make any call.  

Anyway this ad is pure coincidence.  If there is longer lead time probably the editor or the company can make a call to postpone / change the page of the ad..... 

But Axe brand definitely has no idea the front page going to be this news..... Only the editor knew....

The layouts are fixed before printing.  Unless there is a product write up by the product advertiser, where the Editorial Department would work with the sales department, most times they work stand alone. 

In this case, it is unlikely the editor knew of the axe brand ads, all he/she care is  how much space he has on the front page for his news. 

the front page covers  the main stories that will capture the most attention,  beside the surge in Covid, the RV case has to be the one. The marketing department of Axe brand would and need to know that the cover news will be RV case, that's their job. 

My point was not about the sensitivity of the ad, and if there is a need to remove/replace the ad, rather who is in question to act. 

It is not SPH.

as for the Axe vs Axe Brand, blame the killer for using an axe, he is the last entry in the whole equation.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Ender said:

.Mr umbrage say one, they don't concede to to their customers or advertisers. So just print both..🤣

The editorial department wrote the news, but Axe brand own the print space for the day, unless Axe brand instructed SPH not to print, SPH is bid by contract to print that ad. 

i know PAP haters hate SPH, but I am just laying the facts, and facts are facts....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Tianmo said:

you are just plain STUPID!!!

Even replying to you makes me feel dumb, and I will be dumb one last time...

Chill bro... 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, Sosaria said:

No thanks to the liberal politically-correct agenda driving education these days, many "mental" cases are still being pushed into mainstream, despite warning signs.

Worse, to avoid stigmatization, their condition is kept secret even from teachers. When they explode, it is totally unexpected.

Parents also need to accept their kid's strength and limitations. If cannot make it in certain schools, then don't over-push. Our education system has various paths these days.

During my time, where got Pathlight and SAAS? The system is a lot more diverse and accommodating these days. A lot of crazies were just not diagnosed then. 

Nothing to do with liberal politically correct education system (don't understand what that means), perhaps you meant very competitive pressure cooker system?

Edited by Voodooman

(edited)
8 hours ago, Ender said:

The outcome in this case is unhappy advertiser and reader. With hindsight, would sph move the story to page 3 instead due to contractual obligations?

Edit. Ex insider included.

Screenshot_20210721-064314.png

Edited by TangoCharlie
  • Praise 9

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

What's the penalty for manslaughter? No less than 30 yrs?

I think is life,  but with good behavior,  less holidays and weekends  maybe sit 20 years inside... Out come under 40, 还是一条好汉.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

(edited)
8 hours ago, Tianmo said:

The layouts are fixed before printing.  Unless there is a product write up by the product advertiser, where the Editorial Department would work with the sales department, most times they work stand alone. 

In this case, it is unlikely the editor knew of the axe brand ads, all he/she care is  how much space he has on the front page for his news. 

the front page covers  the main stories that will capture the most attention,  beside the surge in Covid, the RV case has to be the one. The marketing department of Axe brand would and need to know that the cover news will be RV case, that's their job. 

My point was not about the sensitivity of the ad, and if there is a need to remove/replace the ad, rather who is in question to act. 

It is not SPH.

as for the Axe vs Axe Brand, blame the killer for using an axe, he is the last entry in the whole equation.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Imo is not what we perceived but how the parents read the paper. I doubt they would read the news now anyway.....

It can be an axe advert, an moe school advert or a word/sentence...a banner, a tv/drama/trailer etc ...there is no way to avoid it.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I think is life,  but with good behavior,  less holidays and weekends  maybe sit 20 years inside... Out come under 40, 还是一条好汉.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Won't be life as likely the charge will reduce from murder to manslaughter cos law also took into the consideration that at the time of the crime, it was committed by a 16 yrs old boy.  :wut: Mature level not of a 21 years old. :ignoring:

With IMH records, minimum 15 yeas jail. :we-all-gonna-die:

• Praise 1

Twincharged
11 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Yup from Straits Times. 

Was a day before print...

But not front page type... 

So if timing is really close is down to the paper to make any call.  

Anyway this ad is pure coincidence.  If there is longer lead time probably the editor or the company can make a call to postpone / change the page of the ad..... 

But Axe brand definitely has no idea the front page going to be this news..... Only the editor knew....

The problem is that if really want to go down to such small details, then it will forever be no end. What is worst is that what if it become every small little thing that happened and editor need to keep track and know what is the trending, what is the culture and etc and is in super short notice.

Human do not have all the knowledge, if society go into such small details, then it will cause a lot of work just for that small details and also they can't guarantee that they could cover all in such short notice partly due to the world got so many things to know. If do it in long term, it could burnout people, people are not machines or robort. So I feel that people should learn to see things in bigger perspective then just looking a small little details and pin point that hey straits time so insensitive and etc. It's how we think and react that shape the situation.

• Praise 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Atonchia said:

From a reader's pov, the ad. just stands out. It appears in front of you! Who will go into the details of the work?  

In this case, it is not even an "innocent mistake". I think it is pure coincidence, as you've mentioned. Even the editor might not even have sensed it!

There is no need to get so worked up! Go work out, so that you will be ready for the next ah lian group buy!🤐

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Saw some policemen near the school this morning after dropping off my kid. The case sure made them busier.....Good efforts although I doubt the effectiveness. 

8 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Saw some policemen near the school this morning after dropping off my kid. The case sure made them busier.....Good efforts although I doubt the effectiveness. 

The case happened from within. Not what the police can prevent. It is just to give people a sense of security.

↡ Advertisement