Condos, private apartments eligible for new grant to install electric vehicle chargers

therock

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/electric-vehicle-ev-common-charger-grant-lta-condo-15247874

Condos, private apartments eligible for new grant to install electric vehicle chargers

Good news for Electric car owners:

SINGAPORE: A new grant that offsets half the cost of certain electric vehicle (EV) charger components will be made available to condominiums and private apartments looking to install such chargers.

The Electric Vehicle Common Charger Grant will co-fund the installation costs of 2,000 chargers at such homes to incentivise early adoption of electric vehicles, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said on Monday (Jul 19).

The Government has announced a target to deploy 60,000 EV charging points across Singapore by 2030, of which 40,000 will be in public car parks and 20,000 will be in private premises.

As always, the devil is in the details:

What if the car doesn't move and hog the lot

Who is going to pay and can you 'steal' the charger by parking next to it and removing his charger

Will there be new fire hazards rules - eg a fire system on top of the charger and a fail safe switch to avoid electrocution

What kind of charging points? Like phones, each car may have different charging cables or points...

Should be interesting..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

1 minute ago, therock said:

What kind of charging points? Like phones, each car may have different charging cables or points...

Singapore only allows 3 charging connector:

1. Type 2;

2. Type 2 combo; &

3. CHAdeMO

• Praise 3

Supercharged
3 hours ago, therock said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/electric-vehicle-ev-common-charger-grant-lta-condo-15247874

Good news for Electric car owners:

As always, the devil is in the details:

What if the car doesn't move and hog the lot

Who is going to pay and can you 'steal' the charger by parking next to it and removing his charger

Will there be new fire hazards rules - eg a fire system on top of the charger and a fail safe switch to avoid electrocution

Should be interesting..

Charging adapter is locked during charging. 

Even if the charging cable is forcefully cut, the high voltage lines should disconnect and drop the voltage to safe level within milliseconds. Part of the IEC standard require. This is tested via the load dump test during certification. 

I believe most chargers will support PnC eliminating the need for card authentication. Can't see how you it is possible to steal for neighbouring charging point.

But not sure how this will be implemented since it is unclear how how chargers operator will handle the backend authentication. 

• Praise 3

Supercharged

I can see my car at the basement carpark through the air well, if I park it at the right lot

I want to buy a long extension cord to charge my car like this 😁

WOMAN HANGS WATER HOSE FROM 10TH FLOOR OF HDB TO WASH CAR

serangooncarwash_stomp.jpg

• Haha! 3

Supercharged

If the charging system is not well thought thru, friendly neighbors may quickly turned into your worst enemy. It'll be a very sad situation. 

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, Didu said:

If the charging system is not well thought thru, friendly neighbors may quickly turned into your worst enemy. It'll be a very sad situation. 

Charge $$$ if after 0.5-1hr fully charge nvr shift car lol

sure alot ppl collect their car back fast

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

6 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Charge $$$ if after 0.5-1hr fully charge nvr shift car lol

sure alot ppl collect their car back fast

5 mins grace period.

After that, $1/min.

• Haha! 2

I foresee mobile electricity charger trucks and towing trucks doing a roaring business once EV takes off.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

13 minutes ago, awhtc said:

I foresee mobile electricity charger trucks and towing trucks doing a roaring business once EV takes off.

My worry is that our fire service does a roaring trade once EVs become common.. 

I think EVs have a lot of potential, but the cost of any battery replacement right now will negate any potential savings from going to the pumps…

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Indeed, it is better to park far away from the EV charging bays.

We will never know how those EV car owners fiddle with the original battery and electronics and whether the EV chargers are well maintained.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I don't think our normal car insurance covers fire damage as a result of parking close to an EV. There may be cost involved to even non-EV drivers. 

Next is building fire insurance coverage. The condo management committee likely needs to work with their insurance company on suitable location to deploy the charging lots. (This will also include feedback from EV owners.) 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
13 hours ago, Didu said:

Indeed. Sg is still a long way from having a win-win/sharing mindset

We'll probably see the usual dickheads who will park their EV at a charging spot overnight n hv the gall to tell others off and act as a 'victim' after being called out

Or arsewipes who chope EV charging lots by placing chairs, cones or fake 'out-of-order' signs

We're gonna get entertained by these new Stomp / social media villains soon. Wait for it

In the meantime, Garrett popcorn going to huat...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

If you go to some housing chats, you’ll hear about entitled folks moving into the first EC or condo and just acting like idiots.. adding EVs will simply make it worse..

• Praise 2

Twincharged
18 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Singapore only allows 3 charging connector:

1. Type 2;

2. Type 2 combo; &

3. CHAdeMO

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/tesla-charging-points-now-in-orchard-grant-for-charger-installation-in-non

Hopefully the Tesla charging points will have different type of connectors to cater for different car models to charge beside Tesla. Coz these are public spaces and not private housing. For public spaces if charging point is only installed for a specific brand to charge then it not too right already. Public spaces = shared spaces for charging and that includes to be able to allow different cars model to charge too.

35 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

They should just use their own sinking funds to install. 

Some condos are reluctant so they need the usual “gifts” from the government..

(edited)

Back to the basic question 

1) Does our housing type suitable for EV car? EV is more suitable for Landed house, no? .

2) The over all cost of the car did not come down and in fact may increase the cost of other car type when people are "encourage" to switch to EV.

3) when batt fire started, it burn fierce and almost cannot stop. Imagine the heat damage to the building structure in the underground carpark.

4) the making of these batt and hi tech may pollute the Earth more than we know.

5) can the electric grid of old building support it? More $$ to upgrade the grid?

Don't go EV for the sake of doing and don't let these green fervour go extreme. Anything go extreme is never good no matter how holy it sounds.

Solar power collection is good effort. I support it, this EV thing....crazy to me. May be is for the dollar and cents but the social cost is high

Want to go EV, do it in big transport operator who has the resource for maintenance and support, Bus, Taxi etc etc, leave the private car alone please, like some bro mentioned above, more problem may be created.

Have we forgotten the electric bike saga? Want to upset more people?

One forest fire in USA and Australia probably create more pollution than trying to go extreme green in this tiny island. 

Just my view.

Edited by GoodCar
Add on
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1