Condos, private apartments eligible for new grant to install electric vehicle chargers

therock

(edited)

Lol. I'll stick to hybrids until 3rd party repair improves which is dubious given our level of automotive/electrical technical work understanding in our local mechanics.

Changing a tesla battery pack costs 16-20k usd.
And their standard solution is just change the entire battery pack.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Lol. I'll stick to hybrids until 3rd party repair improves which is dubious given our level of automotive/electrical technical work understanding in our local mechanics.

Changing a tesla battery pack costs 16-20k usd.
And their standard solution is just change the entire battery pack.

Yeah if you see those videos on the construct of a Tesla, they use all kinds of different nuts and bolts, a nightmare to repair. 
Hence they usually replace - currently I don't even know if there are Tesla workshops in SG?

(edited)
17 minutes ago, therock said:

Yeah if you see those videos on the construct of a Tesla, they use all kinds of different nuts and bolts, a nightmare to repair. 
Hence they usually replace - currently I don't even know if there are Tesla workshops in SG?

u are not allowed anyway. Everything is void warranty. 
Until Right to Repair is passed in America.

There is no repair parts available for tesla. They are salvaged by electric car workshops canabalising or buying written off old teslas...

Haha if u buy one... just be prepared to get your head chopped off when u go back for repairs. Not that they are trying to chop you, but everything will just be part replacement. there is no repair...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Most condos nowadays have basement - hardly even mscp - carparks. I will bet many of such carparks, have bad ventilation, means not much outlet for air (or human).

Just wondering, in the event of any fire, which i guess it's fair to say while all vehicles got risk of fire, EVs have higher risk, right?, then what is the protocol? Yes, carparks should have some portable fire extinguishers, but if those cannot kill the fire (check out the one on the ionic in the Car Catch Fire thread), and it starts getting out of control, then how?

Fire engines are too tall to enter basement carparks, which will leave only Red Rhinos? If the sprinkler system (if there is) also doesn't work, then will building safety be compromised? 

• Praise 2

Supercharged
10 hours ago, GoodCar said:

Back to the basic question 

1) Does our housing type suitable for EV car? EV is more suitable for Landed house, no? .

2) The over all cost of the car did not come down and in fact may increase the cost of other car type when people are "encourage" to switch to EV.

3) when batt fire started, it burn fierce and almost cannot stop. Imagine the heat damage to the building structure in the underground carpark.

4) the making of these batt and hi tech may pollute the Earth more than we know.

5) can the electric grid of old building support it? More $$ to upgrade the grid?

Don't go EV for the sake of doing and don't let these green fervour go extreme. Anything go extreme is never good no matter how holy it sounds.

Solar power collection is good effort. I support it, this EV thing....crazy to me. May be is for the dollar and cents but the social cost is high

Want to go EV, do it in big transport operator who has the resource for maintenance and support, Bus, Taxi etc etc, leave the private car alone please, like some bro mentioned above, more problem may be created.

Have we forgotten the electric bike saga? Want to upset more people?

One forest fire in USA and Australia probably create more pollution than trying to go extreme green in this tiny island. 

Just my view.

The battery in an EV is built like a tank. Even with a direct short, the outer case barely breaks. See this video on a Prius battery.

17 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

The battery in an EV is built like a tank. Even with a direct short, the outer case barely breaks. See this video on a Prius battery.

That’s a duo multi chemistry battery charger for r/c. I have similar charger that I used every weekend. I have been charging lithium batteries since I started r/c in 2003. So far so good for me. Always balance charge my lithium batteries. Meaning the charger will monitor every single cell when charging. Any dead cell, it will give you visual and audio alarm.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:44 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

Charge $$$ if after 0.5-1hr fully charge nvr shift car lol

sure alot ppl collect their car back fast

Cannot charge by minute? 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:31 PM, Atrecord said:

Most condos nowadays have basement - hardly even mscp - carparks. I will bet many of such carparks, have bad ventilation, means not much outlet for air (or human).

Just wondering, in the event of any fire, which i guess it's fair to say while all vehicles got risk of fire, EVs have higher risk, right?, then what is the protocol? Yes, carparks should have some portable fire extinguishers, but if those cannot kill the fire (check out the one on the ionic in the Car Catch Fire thread), and it starts getting out of control, then how?

Fire engines are too tall to enter basement carparks, which will leave only Red Rhinos? If the sprinkler system (if there is) also doesn't work, then will building safety be compromised? 

Think now all are sprinkler system😱

Spraying water on electricity 😱😱

• Shocked 1

I think the collateral damage risk is what I'm concerned about.. 

Insurance companies will need to reinvent car insurance...

Maybe should build the charging station like a server room come fitted with halon/CO2 drenching system and IR, heat, smoke sensor. Should be safe.[idea]

Then fitted with sewage water sprayer too, after charging, owner never retrieve vehicle, auto spray whole car with sewage water.[laugh]

• Haha! 3

One day there may even be wireless charging with chargers built under each lot..

Fast chargers that take minutes.. but for now... 

Supercharged

The industry not only need to think about how to charge the vehicle, it also needs to design how the charging bay can minimize fire damage to the car as well as its surrounding. For a start, there should be a concrete wall separating the EVs.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Chargers on the way. But law requires new buildings to cater to 15% of total parking lots.  😁 Enough meh?

Govt proposes laws for EV charging, including requiring new buildings to install chargers

All new buildings with carparks will have to install electric vehicle (EV) charging points in at least 1 per cent of their total car and motorcycle parking lots in future, under proposed laws to regulate EV charging in Singapore.

In addition, the developments have to provide sufficient electrical load to support EV charging with 7.4 kilowatt chargers for 15 per cent of the total parking spaces.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/govt-proposes-laws-for-ev-charging-including-requiring-new-buildings-to-install-chargers

The main issues:
- fires

- less than civic residents

- lack of lots = fights = less friendly condo environment

- costs incurred to add more lots in future - more disputes..

10 hours ago, therock said:

The main issues:
- fires

- less than civic residents

- lack of lots = fights = less friendly condo environment

- costs incurred to add more lots in future - more disputes..

I believe if the same system like booking tennis court, All by hourly slots should ease out the issue.

Charges by wireless/credit card payment by the minutes per kilowatt hour, deduction of the actual amount once unplugged and shifted out.

If have 16 hours slot and 10 lots, each day can charge 160 cars

• Praise 1