Jump to content
Karoon

Most deceptive traffic equipment on our roads?

Recommended Posts

Turbocharged (edited)

I'm voting for this one. When u're joining the expressway and relying on this mirror, don't. Turn your head and look instead. Speeding cars will not be noticeable until they're very very close (what they're doing in the bus lane is a separate matter ). For our road safety it should be removed rather than give a false sense of safety as i've seen many near misses from inexperienced drivers here 

IMG_20210720_205746.jpg

Edited by Karoon
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

I never look at this type of mirror and never know how to look also. Lol. I only turn my head to see for any oncoming traffic.

  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
5 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I never look at this type of mirror and never know how to look also. Lol. I only turn my head to see for any oncoming traffic.

Sama sama - the image is just too small. Only useful for small roads at night. But sometime I scare myself thinking my own headlights are from another approaching car! 

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Sama sama - the image is just too small. Only useful for small roads at night. But sometime I scare myself thinking my own headlights are from another approaching car! 

Yes, same for me.

Image too small and "blurrish", I use my neck to turn my head and let my eyes do the seeing /checking.

Cos there's this nagging fear that some flying, I mean, fast bike or ride by the time I move eyes from mirror, just nice missed my visual check, kissed me, I mean, my car.

Just me. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
31 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Sama sama - the image is just too small. Only useful for small roads at night. But sometime I scare myself thinking my own headlights are from another approaching car! 

I find such mirror no matter day or night also difficult to see le. Esp at night my old flowery eyes cannot see anything on the mirror, so blur lo. [dizzy]

  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

this type of mirror is totally hopeless,  I was almost hit once and now I only trust my head turning and my eyes seeing......[laugh][laugh][laugh]

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
7 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

this type of mirror is totally hopeless,  I was almost hit once and now I only trust my head turning and my eyes seeing......[laugh][laugh][laugh]

But some roads seems like must depend on such mirror to see for oncoming traffic, cause even turn head also have some blocking which obstruct your view lo. 

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged
15 minutes ago, 13177 said:

But some roads seems like must depend on such mirror to see for oncoming traffic, cause even turn head also have some blocking which obstruct your view lo. 

These mirrors only good for carparks. Or small roads with blind corners

  • Praise 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)
12 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

These mirrors only good for carparks. Or small roads with blind corners

Thats why i have phobia if encounter roads with blind corners which must rely on these mirrors to see, cause i really dont find such mirror reflect very accuracy on the oncoming traffic.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
3 hours ago, Karoon said:

I'm voting for this one. When u're joining the expressway and relying on this mirror, don't. Turn your head and look instead. Speeding cars will not be noticeable until they're very very close (what they're doing in the bus lane is a separate matter ). For our road safety it should be removed rather than give a false sense of safety as i've seen many near misses from inexperienced drivers here 

IMG_20210720_205746.jpg

I only use it at night 

To see the specks of light. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

The mirror is dangerous, can't be trusted. It depends on how it's angled when installed.

Sometimes at night, you see the beam of lights, it's your own car. Sometimes it's not when you think it is, then big trouble.

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

This convex mirror setup cannot be relied upon. You must also turn your head and check. Pretty much the same drill as for "blind spot mirrors" etc in your own car - I simply don't trust them.

I'm not sure if I would consider it "deceptive" though. That dubious honour would go (in my books) to the now ubiquitous "Traffic Police Camera Zone" signs. You look up, you look down, you look all around, you do the hokey pokey, and you still can't spot the mata - no bastid on the bridge, no bird in the bush. More often than not, they just use it to signal a red light camera junction. 

But then why bother with the signage at all? They have red light cameras with different signage (the old Red Light Camera sign prevails). And I've seen mata on the bridge with zero warning from signage for kilometers upstream. So basically it's a crock of shit. I think I've said before that the most devious strategy would be for them to put the signage at random "likely" places and then deploy their matas in *other* locations sans signage. That way you scare people into submission in the signed places and catch people unawares in the rest, enriching the coffers. That was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but it seems they've now adopted exactly this strategy. For shame.

So TL;DR, this:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.ea76fa7af6be0e77725a78370dc16b86.jpg

to me, is the most deceptive signage.

  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

The convex mirror is only useful at tight blind corners and small roads where the traffic is slow. Even that, it should serve as a fore warning only. One still have to turn the head to check for on coming traffic.

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear

Only good for hdb estates driveways.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

i don't use it. in addition to limited viewing angle, many are dirty and misaligned. 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
9 hours ago, Kb27 said:

The mirror is dangerous, can't be trusted. It depends on how it's angled when installed.

Sometimes at night, you see the beam of lights, it's your own car. Sometimes it's not when you think it is, then big trouble.

Ya lo, the lights appear on the mirror so confusing, and all i could see only lights and dont know the lights is from where and belong to who? Lol.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear

My vote for most useless: Those "Your Speed is XX km/h" cameras they put at some expressway exits.  

  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, Kklim said:

My vote for most useless: Those "Your Speed is XX km/h" cameras they put at some expressway exits.  

Be careful what you wish for.. it may turn to snap on exceeding limit .. 

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×