[Help Please] Strong smell of previous owner's car perfume does not go away

Sogo

Hi all. Need some help with this.

The previous owner of the car I'd bought, put a lot of perfume in it. Besides the usual Ambi-Pur at the aircon vents, there was a reed diffuser placed in the rear passenger door magazine pocket ... like this:

Vanilla_Bean_6479bb7d-0e5b-4ee1-a86e-b64055e57ac3_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.1b7b2550aa269f1eba789aa77dc2b61f.jpg

Strong perfume smell is present whenever I come to the car and open the door, but the smell feels stronger when I switch on the aircon - I'd feel cold, perfumed wind blowing in my face.

I suspect the smell is now trapped in the aircon system.

What can I do to remove the smell? Would sending the car for aircon evaporator coil cleaning help? If so, who should I send the car to for this?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Someone will say change car...😁

I'd try this first, change the cabin filter...change car mats...open all windows and park the car under noon sun for at least an hour with fan blowing at top speed, then drive around with for 20 mins with ac turn on but recirculation off. If need be, place charcoal packs in the car or even change the cabin filter again after few weeks. 

If smell persist...visit any touch up shop dealers use...

Change car as last resort...😁

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator

Change your cabin filter to charcoal type one.

Thristy hippo can help also.

If you like new car smell, you can wrap your whole interior with plastic wrap, then park your car at some open space carpark for 2 days, sure will have the new car smell. But I won't recommend that lah. I cancerous. hahahahaha.

previous owner was sweaty buibui doing food delivery or chiobu who use car to go yoga class ? the smell got difference one hor. :XD:

try driving with aircon circulation "open" for a week and see how. 

• Haha! 4

3 minutes ago, Billard18 said:

change aircon cabin filter, then buy pandan leaves to clr away the smell.

Pandan leaves can only mask the smell won't rid it. 

1 minute ago, Blueray said:

previous owner was sweaty buibui doing food delivery or chiobu who use car to go yoga class ? the smell got difference one hor. :XD:

Wear mask while driving...or else outside exhaust fume...😅

1 minute ago, mersaylee said:

Wear mask while driving...or else outside exhaust fume...😅

let nature air overcome the artificial smell lor.

or open vents only at night lor. 

Internal Moderator
17 minutes ago, Blueray said:

If is the latter one, I will choose to keep the scent. I am a "sensational" person. hahaha, it keeps my imagination rich. :grin:

• Haha! 4

(edited)

If the perfume was Chanel No 5 by a lady owner and you couldn't get rid of the small I would buy the car of you and resell it to a collector that likes things like that.

But if the smell still lingers as a last resort just buy some durians and leave the car under the sun all day.

At the end of the day, chop, sign and guarantee you cannot smell the perfume anymore.

:D

And if you don't like durians then some spilled milk left over night works well too.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Sogo said:

Hi all. Need some help with this.

The previous owner of the car I'd bought, put a lot of perfume in it. Besides the usual Ambi-Pur at the aircon vents, there was a reed diffuser placed in the rear passenger door magazine pocket ... like this:

Vanilla_Bean_6479bb7d-0e5b-4ee1-a86e-b64055e57ac3_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.1b7b2550aa269f1eba789aa77dc2b61f.jpg

Strong perfume smell is present whenever I come to the car and open the door, but the smell feels stronger when I switch on the aircon - I'd feel cold, perfumed wind blowing in my face.

I suspect the smell is now trapped in the aircon system.

What can I do to remove the smell? Would sending the car for aircon evaporator coil cleaning help? If so, who should I send the car to for this?

Well...at least it's not BO. Look on the bright side. Silver lining. Glass half full. 

You could be having this Seinfeld moment. 

For a solution, just get those activated charcoal deodorisers they sell at supermarkets like Cold Storage. I use them in my fridge to clear out the durian smell. 😁

• Praise 1

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

If the perfume was Chanel No 5 by a lady owner and you couldn't get rid of the small I would buy the car of you and resell it to a collector that likes things like that.

But if the smell still lingers as a last resort just buy some durians and leave the car under the sun all day.

At the end of the day, chop, sign and guarantee you cannot like the perfume anymore.

And if you don't like durians then some split milk left over night works well too.

Wow you mentioned lew lian also. 

You and I ah... Same wavelength. Different phase. 😁

two_waves_a.png.4deb5ac6ce2a50152e9b790cc16ba665.png

My highest compliment. It's a sine of my high respect for you. 😁

BTW don't waste lew lian. Just eat and use the shells. Or get free shells from lew lian shop. 😁

Edited by Turboflat4

6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Wow you mentioned lew lian also. 

You and I ah... Same wavelength. Different phase. 😁

two_waves_a.png.4deb5ac6ce2a50152e9b790cc16ba665.png

My highest compliment. It's a sine of my high respect for you. 😁

BTW don't waste lew lian. Just eat and use the shells. Or get free shells from lew lian shop. 😁

Geniuses think alike.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged

I have dog nose and don't like to have smell (pleasant or unpleasant) in my car

activated charcoal bag works for me

I have 3 big bags in each of the mesh pockets in the car

breathe-green.jpg

• Praise 2

Can consider getting one of those incar car purifiers too. Not only perfume smells will be gone but you'll have cleaner air without the contaminants. should consider giving the car surfaces a good clean too as odours linger on them.

Anyway Philips, novita, xiaomi, 3m.. many options out there for u. An eg of the Philips gopure demo, I don't sell by the way.

YouTube gopure link

↡ Advertisement