Phase 2 heighten alert to minimise risk of virus spreading, but what about group buy in the neighbourhood?

SGMCF328

Do you think group buy should be restricted during heighten alert period?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think group buy should be restricted during heighten alert period?

• Yes, since it involves interaction between different groups of people at the same time
    • No, participating in group buy is the same in nature as going to supermarket and wet market

Turbocharged

Was reading the new below and suddenly have this question in my mind. I am more on the side that group buy is like a trip to the supermarket, provided that everyone observe the safety measures spelled out by MOH. But some of these groups can involve >100 members at its peak, so can the measures be adhered to all the time?

Not just free delivery and bulk discounts: The rise of community group buys in Singapore

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/free-delivery-bulk-discounts-singapore-rise-community-group-buys-15240638

group-buys-main.jpg

group-buys-2.jpg

SINGAPORE: In the year or so since Mrs Tan began joining group buys, she has seen everything from high-quality fresh fruits to microfibre cloths to ergonomic chairs being hawked at a discount.

Today, the 31-year-old, who wished to be identified by her last name only, estimates that half her groceries come from orders placed through chat groups on WhatsApp or Telegram run by others in her estate.

“While the prices weren’t necessarily cheaper than in a neighbourhood supermarket, we felt the fruit and vegetables were significantly fresher than what we were getting. We eat a lot better with the same amount of money,” she said.

She also appreciated the flexibility and convenience of being able to pick up her items at her neighbours’ homes.

This process, known as group buying, involves people in the same estate banding together to place bulk orders for items in order to cut delivery costs and enjoy discounts from suppliers.

And it is gaining traction in Singapore, fuelled by COVID-19 restrictions. A simple search on Instagram yields more than 50 group-buy profiles tagged with the names of different estates.

Group buys have also sprung up island-wide based on shared interests, like for those buying children’s toys or for couples looking to renovate their homes.

But even as it appears that the primary aim of group buys is to get a good deal, other side benefits have emerged along the way. Even hawkers are benefiting, though the question remains: To what extent?

And while there is uncertainty about breaching regulations in running group buys, the positives outweigh the drawbacks, so far, for the likes of Mrs Tan.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

OK with me if safe distancing is maintained throughout the process, especially more OK if payment via paynow, pay tomorrow, pay monopoly etc etc 🤭😅. And time slots assigned so no crowding or chit chat or Yada-ing. 

Check, collect and go. Mask on all the time. 

Group buys' main draw is actually the price of goods. If NTUC, SS, Giant can match prices plus free delivery, there may be lesser group buys. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

As long as organisers has in place some protocols to maintain safety measures, i have think it's fine.

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, PSP415 said:

OK with me if safe distancing is maintained throughout the process, especially more OK if payment via paynow, pay tomorrow, pay monopoly etc etc 🤭😅. And time slots assigned so no crowding or chit chat or Yada-ing. 

Check, collect and go. Mask on all the time. 

Group buys' main draw is actually the price of goods. If NTUC, SS, Giant can match prices plus free delivery, there may be lesser group buys. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

think issue no trace together QR code, thus if shit happen cannot trace. then people who comply and obey the law will argure why are they so special? can have more than 2 visitors....... then doesnt this defeat the purpose of asking everyone goes into pharse 2 heighten alert? and increase risk for their neighbours whom wants to be safe in their home but expose to risk due to their neighbours group buy?

• Praise 1

54 minutes ago, D3badge said:

think issue no trace together QR code, thus if shit happen cannot trace. then people who comply and obey the law will argure why are they so special? can have more than 2 visitors....... then doesnt this defeat the purpose of asking everyone goes into pharse 2 heighten alert? and increase risk for their neighbours whom wants to be safe in their home but expose to risk due to their neighbours group buy?

That's a good question. 

But there are actually records of ppl collecting (mobile numbers) and/or payment records. 

Hence there are "traces", just that it's not as easy as TraceTogether apps or tokens. In fact, my TraceTogether apps is linked to my mobile number. From there, I can be contacted for history of my movements/those who were close contacts for xx days/weeks etc. 

With safe distancing measures and time slots to allow 10/15 mins grace  or whatever before the next buyer collect the goods. In fact, sometimes, a neighbour can help collect for a few friends and drop off at their doors, reducing the chance to have crowds. 

Just my thoughts. 

Stay safe 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

When there is an inconvenience  law,  it always apply to others and not ourselves.... 

What so important of a grp buy in the current state we are in now?  

Because "I am" involve,  so it must be OK,  as long as so and so,  what and what is done? If "I am" not involve,  then fxxk man these guys sld all be charge, these are the fxxkers who are causing our problems,  and look at what happen now, and this and that and whatever..

For god sake, in case anyone still doesnt see it, we are really fxxk this time, just look at the map, there is no ring fence, clusters are everywhere... 

Fxxk the grp buy lah....

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

It is no different in terms of risk compared to those food delivery services, actually.

So long as there's no congregation at their front door.

Tracing might be an issue though but I believe if the exposure time is less than 30 minutes and everyone is masked, it may not be such a biggie.

Anyway they can always keep a record of collection time and who collected.

Supersonic
(edited)
On 6/5/2023 at 12:46 PM, Ender said:

Heng ar, I don't have neighbors doing group on the side.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/group-buy-hdb-flat-neighbour-noise-clutter-corridor-3498196

'Thought I was staying next to a supermarket': When group buying becomes a neighbour's nightmare

I think if you stay in a newer estate, chances higher that your neighbours would do group buying. Staying in old estate should not have such problem. 😅 But for this case estate, the estate is Yishun and consider not so new estate also can have such problem. Anyway, the person complaining, when she moved in that time already know that her neighbour is doing group buy and yet still buy the flat. So who to blame.

Edited by 13177
  • Shocked 1

Supercharged
(edited)
On 6/5/2023 at 1:09 PM, 13177 said:

I think if you stay in a newer estate, chances higher that your neighbours would do group buying. Staying in old estate should not have such problem. 😅 But for this case estate, the estate is Yishun and consider not so new estate also can have such problem. Anyway, the person complaining, when she moved in that time already know that her neighbour is doing group buy and yet still buy the flat. So who to blame.

Look at the condition of use from HDB  for "Home business scheme" :

"Conditions of Use

The business must be operated by owners, registered occupants, or tenants of the flat (with consent from the flat owners). Third parties and non-resident employees are not allowed to work in the flat.

There must be no advertisements, signages or posters displayed at the flat.

No extraneous traffic should be introduced to the site nor should there be any adverse impact to the neighbourhood and the living environment, such as, noise, smoke, smell, litter, effluent or dust nuisances or danger posed to surrounding residents.

No use of heavy equipment or appliances that are not intended for domestic use.

No large-scale storage or frequent loading and unloading of goods, especially for bulky items or use of the flat as a distribution centre.

The activities must comply with the rules and regulations of other authorities (e.g. Singapore Food Agency, for food safety and hygiene, Fire Safety and Shelter Department, for fire safety requirements)"

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/living-in-an-hdb-flat/home-business/home-based-business-scheme

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged

My aunty (unmarried stay with siblings) already cause so much troubles with her siblings over Amway biz... until they want to sell their condo and buy smaller unit for just two of them leave her find her own place

Cannot underestimate daily inconvenience lead to what

• Praise 1

On 6/5/2023 at 1:09 PM, 13177 said:

No ah, if you want to do regular group buy, conduct your business downstairs at the void deck. Don't make people walk up and down the corridor and disturb others.

• Praise 1

Someone started this near my place to "convenient" the community in either 2020 or 2021 becos of covid...didn't lust a few months...becos they left the goods on the ground floor...many 4 legged would self help first...😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1