Massive flood in China, 2021

Jamesc

Turbocharged

We should send our SCDF and SMRT staff over to learn how they cope with the tunnel flood. It can happen here also

↡ Advertisement

Just now, Victor68 said:

We should send our SCDF and SMRT staff over to learn how they cope with the tunnel flood. It can happen here also

We should send SMRT staff to HK MTR to learn how to prevent floods.

This is especially when they are hit by typhoons during summer and autumn.

40 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Yes. If not  then how our ancestors learn when grow crops and when to harvest ?

@happy_man those rainfall records kept for agricultural purpose are probably of daily rainfall.  For sudden storm surge floods such as this, hourly or even shorter interval readings are more relevant.  This means some sort of automatic system unless they have someone on duty to empty the measuring can at the start of every rain and then keep reading hourly throughout the storm.  So, it will be interesting to know the basis of the statement that this is a once in a thousand year storm.

Rapid rise in water level can be because the city/tunnel drainage systems are overwhelmed.

We often assume things to take a linear path. But failure of systems usually lead to an exponential rise. It may not necessarily be due to the sudden release of water from the dam though certainly if everywhere nearby is full/need to vent away some water, certainly makes it worse.

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

How dare you even suggest that? How can the best in the world go learn from China? 

• Haha! 1

45 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Mr Xi don't want smart ppl. Mr Xi only want loyalist.

ball carrying is universal! [laugh]

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
39 minutes ago, Singa said:

as in learn by negative example?

so you feel we are the best and there is nothing to learn? even if the flood is in Malaysia or Indonesia, there is still something we can learn. What so negative of they trying to save life during a flood?

(edited)

i'm dumbfounded that each time when i see super duper heavy rain and flood water already reach above waist

what the fk still care about one hand holding umbrella ... causing imbalance ... difficult to hold on to each other .... whatnot

body cannot get wet? [hur] 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 4

9 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

This is sad. Setting aside politics, innocent people are dying. 

I am jiak kantang, so I love CCR. This seems appropriate. 

Me too.....

• Praise 4

5 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

i'm dumbfounded that each time when i see super duper heavy rain and flood water already reach above waist

what the fk still care about one hand holding umbrella ... causing imbalance ... difficult to hold on to each other .... whatnot

body cannot get wet? [hur] 

Hair cannot get wet.....

1 hour ago, Nolicense said:

i think 1 centerpiece doesnt solve the issue. there are a whole host of other works. many many dams. many many pumps. much engineering and thought and planning.

big country, big problems. sgp so small already so many issues.

1 big dam wont fix the  problem. 

but does it help. i would say yes, it help alot. without all these dams, maybe the flooding would be worst.

despite such bad flood, the death remain at double digit.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Must be human instinct.

gmflooding1110_2x.jpg

if alone bo tai ji is OK

what i mean when in a group especially require “saving”  ... the umbrella is making things worse

and funny thing when see people tripping due to heavy wind blowing the umbrella and they hold on tight on it ... [hur] 

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Hoseyboh said:

Me too.....

Of course that's probably my favourite CCR song, but I thought I'd better find one about stopping the rain cos everyone can see it. 😁

Fortunate sons, we are, to know CCR. 😊

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

56 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Must be human instinct.

gmflooding1110_2x.jpg

Eh head wet and head not wet makes a huge difference to how miserable u feel lol leh. 

• Haha! 5

4 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Eh head wet and head not wet makes a huge difference to how miserable u feel lol leh. 

Yes totally agree [nod]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1