Massive flood in China, 2021

Jamesc

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

sibei classic ... nabei water not even above ankle ... need to carry on back? [laugh] 

2021-08-02_115038.jpg

Learn from the best - fry noodles without turning on the cooker. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

On 8/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Singa said:

After the flood, none of the top CCP leaders visited Henan/Zhengzhou, instead Xi goes Tibet (seek higher ground? lol). 

No transparency, no truth is allowed. 

He went to see the source lah. 

Supercharged

Half a year later, heads began to roll.

Beijing punishes local officials for handling of deadly Henan floods

Beijing has punished almost 100 officials and company managers for dereliction of duty around catastrophic floods that hit Henan province and killed hundreds of people last July, state news agency Xinhua said on Friday (Jan 21).

Xu Liyi, secretary of the Communist Party Committee in Henan's provincial capital of Zhengzhou, was removed from his post and Zhengzhou vice-mayor Wu Fumin was also dismissed.

They were among 89 local officials punished by the central government for what Beijing called poor handling of the emergency response to the floods, Xinhua said, citing the conclusions of an investigation led by the central government in Beijing.

The government has called the Henan floods the worst since China began keeping meteorological records. From Jul 17-23, 398 people died or went missing in Henan province, according to the Xinhua report, published on the central government's website on Friday.

“There was a problem of late reporting and concealment in the reporting of disaster information, and negligence ... from lower-level party committees, governments and relevant departments," the report said.

Company managers responsible for the construction of Zhengzhou's infrastructure, including a subway line where 14 people drowned, an episode that was widely discussed on Chinese social media, were among 11 people arrested or detained as a result of the central government investigation.

Henan, a populous province double the size of Austria whose capital Zhengzhou is a city of 12 million people, also incurred direct economic losses amounting to 120.6 billion yuan (US$19 billion), Xinhua reported.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/beijing-punishes-local-officials-handling-deadly-henan-floods-2451541

• Shocked 2

Frankly, mishandling by official is very common everywhere, just that in bigger countries, the impact can be very different. Let me share my personal experience in Singapore. I live on top of a slope, the lowest point my house is above his roof. Heavy rain, my water enters my house, why?

I checked and called the authority ( don't mention here lah). They send a junior guy and they wrote back to me. This is what they say. Raise your platform of your house. Rebuild higher in layman term. 😂.

I ask for a meeting with the engineer. On the appointment date, I saw a guy walking around before meeting me. When he came to me, he told me he is diverting the common drain to reduce the flow. That solve the problem for the next 10 odd years. There is a second part of the story after that 10 odd years.

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Frankly, mishandling by official is very common everywhere, just that in bigger countries, the impact can be very different. Let me share my personal experience in Singapore. I live on top of a slope, the lowest point my house is above his roof. Heavy rain, my water enters my house, why?

I checked and called the authority ( don't mention here lah). They send a junior guy and they wrote back to me. This is what they say. Raise your platform of your house. Rebuild higher in layman term. 😂.

I ask for a meeting with the engineer. On the appointment date, I saw a guy walking around before meeting me. When he came to me, he told me he is diverting the common drain to reduce the flow. That solve the problem for the next 10 odd years. There is a second part of the story after that 10 odd years.

"lowest point my house is above his roof" = ur neighbor's roof?

"Heavy rain, my water enters my house, why?" = enter his house/ur neighbor house ah?

2 hours ago, Cheesey74 said:

"lowest point my house is above his roof" = ur neighbor's roof?

"Heavy rain, my water enters my house, why?" = enter his house/ur neighbor house ah?

My house is almost on top of an elevated land. So my ground floor is the house down the slope roof level. During once a 100 year rain, this is the typical phrase used, the drain overflows and rush into my house.

Nobody look at public drains while every year, new developments discharge ' surface run off ' rain water into the existing drain. Therefore, the existing drain cannot cope with these new flow. 

2 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

My house is almost on top of an elevated land. So my ground floor is the house down the slope roof level. During once a 100 year rain, this is the typical phrase used, the drain overflows and rush into my house.

Nobody look at public drains while every year, new developments discharge ' surface run off ' rain water into the existing drain. Therefore, the existing drain cannot cope with these new flow. 

Now more and more patches are cemented up eg landed houses a lot no longer have any turf, open areas tendered out for more buildings, widened roads eating up the trees/grass that were lining beside them. Less rain water absorbed by the ground. That's not even talking about increased rainfall. 

Supercharged
3 hours ago, happy_man said:

Will similar punishment be mete out to officials in the "democratic" M'sia, or US over deadly flooding screw ups ? 😜

635763654881610589-1-katrina.jpg

I guess it would depend on individual government's definition of 'negligence'.  [laugh]

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

i dont quite understand your description of the scenario. but if the water flow is forced backwards, then it floods your ground floor right? and this water flow is solely from your house and no other up stream water flow comes before your house?

That means the drain serving your house is too small and this choke point causes a backlog of water into your ground floor?

2 suggestions.

1. temporary holding tank to reduce the rain water flow. pub would not allow such structures in your house but it would help

2. get pub to enlarge the drain or add another drain if the run off is coming from a different part of your property that is better drained via a different direction due to elevation contours

53 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

i dont quite understand your description of the scenario. but if the water flow is forced backwards, then it floods your ground floor right? and this water flow is solely from your house and no other up stream water flow comes before your house?

That means the drain serving your house is too small and this choke point causes a backlog of water into your ground floor?

2 suggestions.

1. temporary holding tank to reduce the rain water flow. pub would not allow such structures in your house but it would help

2. get pub to enlarge the drain or add another drain if the run off is coming from a different part of your property that is better drained via a different direction due to elevation contours

Rain water harvesting is allowed. 

4 hours ago, Nolicense said:

2 suggestions.

Basically, the public drain is too small to cater for the increase in drain off from the new developments. Now they have increase the drain size and at the same time covered up. If you drive along most private landed houses, it is quite common. 

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Rain water harvesting is allowed. 

Yes l, for bigger developments, you are required to install a holding tank. Once upon a time harvesting rain water required metering 😆

• Haha! 1

45 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Yes l, for bigger developments, you are required to install a holding tank. Once upon a time harvesting rain water required metering 😆

some people dont know history lah.. 

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Before 2005, PUB don’t allow home rain water harvesting.

↡ Advertisement