Massive flood in China, 2021

Jamesc

38 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Major flooding in China over past 5 years.

IMG_2678.jpeg

Before modern news came into play, it's estimated that at least thousands die per annum from the annual summer floods that plague most of the provinces beside the 2 major rivers. And that's considered a good year. A bad year is like the one I mentioned. Good years aren't even mentioned in our history. It's just taken for granted like a dragon will eat some people every year.

There's a reason why the CCP chose the 3 gorges dam to be the centerpiece of a modern industrialised china. It is symbolic to "control" the river that has both given china it's arable lands as well as killed countless millions over the millenia. Does the dam work? Debatable. But it's the communist tendency to have centerpieces.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

(edited)

Water is both life giving and also the most destructive unrelenting force that we encounter on a regular basis.

Singapore is such a small island with probably one of the best city infrastructure even in the 1st world. And we still complain when we get ponding/flash floods when the skies just pour rain down.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Before modern news came into play, it's estimated that at least thousands die per annum from the annual summer floods that plague most of the provinces beside the 2 major rivers. And that's considered a good year. A bad year is like the one I mentioned. Good years aren't even mentioned in our history. It's just taken for granted like a dragon will eat some people every year.

There's a reason why the CCP chose the 3 gorges dam to be the centerpiece of a modern industrialised china. It is symbolic to "control" the river that has both given china it's arable lands as well as killed countless millions over the millenia. Does the dam work? Debatable. But it's the communist tendency to have centerpieces.

i think 1 centerpiece doesnt solve the issue. there are a whole host of other works. many many dams. many many pumps. much engineering and thought and planning.

big country, big problems. sgp so small already so many issues.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, happy_man said:

@Atonchia 

yeah - something like that.

One poster earlier suggest we should try to control the weather. I think more realistic to manage the flood since human had been dealing with it for centuries.

How do you drain millions of tons of water when u need to do so quickly?

The amounts is in several order magnitudes of olympic swimming pool sizes. 

Eventually everything will evaporate etc or get soaked up etc. But when we are talking about large areas, drainage systems etc... It's actually highly difficult to cater for the 1% of events.

4 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

i think 1 centerpiece doesnt solve the issue. there are a whole host of other works. many many dams. many many pumps. much engineering and thought and planning.

big country, big problems. sgp so small already so many issues.

of course they did many smaller dams, many dikes etc etc etc.
China civil service is estimated to be close to 70million people...  Haha these pple need to do stuff right (or at least show they are doing stuff) [laugh]

Yes. Big country, big problems. Just that it's a showpiece project and one the president go there to cut ribbon.

• Haha! 3

If someone remembers the video i posted earlier in the 5000 years history thread.

1 of the videos is about water.
in summary, northern china no water. Southern china too much water [laugh]

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Water is both life giving and also the most destructive unrelenting force that we encounter on a regular basis.

Singapore is such a small island with probably one of the best city infrastructure even in the 1st world. And we still complain when we get ponding/flash floods when the skies just pour rain down.

Our problem from the flash flood could be affected by water level in Marina Barrage.  This especially so during high tide.

It can be resolved with a Detention Tank similar to Stamford Detention Tank.

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

How do you drain millions of tons of water when u need to do so quickly?

The amounts is in several order magnitudes of olympic swimming pool sizes. 

Eventually everything will evaporate etc or get soaked up etc. But when we are talking about large areas, drainage systems etc... It's actually highly difficult to cater for the 1% of events.

Based on the information i had read so far, there is a reservoir about 6km away from city centre.

On the day of rainfall, the reservoir discharged excess water as well.

It could be 2 fold effect.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Our problem from the flash flood could be affected by water level in Marina Barrage.  This especially so during high tide.

It can be resolved with a Detention Tank similar to Stamford Detention Tank.

I dunno. But these flash ponding floods are gone short while later. And other than traffic jams and trees being brought down due to the rain, does it really affect life here as long as the MRT lines don't flood.
Doubt so.

Deeper drains at least occupy same footprint. Building these holding tanks have to balance whether it is an economically good use of our money.
Should lots of money/space conserved go into building something that has frankly somewhat limited use? 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

exactly. our december monthly rainfall is 300 over mm. the whole month. This year Changi climate station experienced 649mm rainfall in just the first 14 days of January

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/weather-january-february-monsoon-rain-dry-climate-change-mss-nea-14391482

zhengzhou on the 20th had 543.75 mm rainfall in a day, 24 hours period.

there is no comparison.

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

If someone remembers the video i posted earlier in the 5000 years history thread.

1 of the videos is about water.
in summary, northern china no water. Southern china too much water [laugh]

pump it north.. lol

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Based on the information i had read so far, there is a reservoir about 6km away from city centre.

On the day of rainfall, the reservoir discharged excess water as well.

It could be 2 fold effect.

if dont discharge the dam might burst.. farked either way

1 minute ago, happy_man said:

The key word is managing water, not trying to control Mother nature.

Yes.

I just find it laughable that we are armchair experts trying to comment on something that the Chinese have been TRYING to manage for the last few millenia.
Just like we don't teach our mother to suck eggs.
Any other country/armchair experts in the world trying to teach china about flood management ... is somewhat similar.[laugh]

It's like we don't teach China how to supervise the world's biggest annual migration of people pre-covid for CNY.
And we don't teach saudi arabia how to safely host several million visitors to one location called Mecca.

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 3

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Singa said:

Scientists have warned that widespread dam construction has exacerbated climate change problems in China's flood zone, says the BBC's China correspondent Stephen McDonell.

Connections between rivers and lakes have been cut and disrupted flood plains which once absorbed much of the region's annual summer downpours.

Wow. What is the likelihood that these flood plains are also inhabited? 

There's a very appropriate hokkien phrase to use for this...

I'm not saying dams can't worsen freak or worsen floods when it does come. But are they all bad and scary? 

Edited by Lala81
  • Haha! 4

2 minutes ago, Singa said:

it's call city planning, dude.

Err. So if the dam is considered part of city planning, then isn't it appropriate?

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Singa said:

More like poor/unethical water management, if they do it correctly, they need to connect the water management with weather forecast and lower the water level in the dam before storm hits.

There are too many cases of sudden unannounced discharged of water from the dams causing more problems and lost of lives downstream.

Wah so clever.... 

Let me recommend you to Mr Xi for the top flood prevention and water mgt post. 

• Haha! 5

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Wow. What is the likelihood that these flood plains are also inhabited? 

There's a very appropriate hokkien phrase to use for this...

The mouth says and certain private parts shiok? 

Just now, Volvobrick said:

Wah so clever.... 

Let me recommend you to Mr Xi for the top flood prevention and water mgt post. 

Mr Xi don't want smart ppl.

Mr Xi only want loyalist.

😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3