COVID-19: Back to the Future Phase 2 (HA) 22July to 18Aug..

RadX

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

This is what virus do - keep mutating and keep spreading. There will be more variants after Delta, hopefully they get less and less lethal.

Spanish flu took 3 years I think to settle. We are half way there! 

Spanish flu settled in 3 years, when there wasn't much international travel and transportation was pretty much limited. Also population density was smaller. Compared to now, I doubt 3 years is enough [laugh]

Of course, we have the advantage today of modern advanced medical capabilities and knowledge.

↡ Advertisement

专家:本土病例减少只是暂时 我国解封后须准备应付每日数百起病例
https://www.zaobao.com.sg/realtime/singapore/story20210811-1180667

Experts: The reduction of local cases is only temporary. After my country's unblocking, it must be prepared to deal with hundreds of cases every day
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.zaobao.com.sg/realtime/singapore/story20210811-1180667?fbclid%3DIwAR3ONys1GhmAuhAv0f6rxUceITdpVSqOBmIybvC94LtCjmkwCgUI3h9UvgM

• Praise 1
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

It is easy to be compassionate when it is not you giving your money.

That's so true.

My MIL is so generous when she is spending MY money!

:D

When she use she own money

then not so much!

• Haha! 2

8 hours ago, Voodooman said:

WFH might work for some occupations but HBL is really a stupid idea.

Delta is already here and looking at what is happening in Australia, NZ and China, it is just unstoppable.  

Border control can slow new variants and buy us time but really, we need to live with Covid for a long long time. 

Yes, can't hope for zero cases that's for sure. But if there is a huge outbreak at schools due to Delta variant and kids have to go ICU, I'm sure those in charge won't be harping about new normal and opening up quickly again. 

• Praise 3

40 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Experts: The reduction of local cases is only temporary. After my country's unblocking, it must be prepared to deal with hundreds of cases every day
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.zaobao.com.sg/realtime/singapore/story20210811-1180667?fbclid%3DIwAR3ONys1GhmAuhAv0f6rxUceITdpVSqOBmIybvC94LtCjmkwCgUI3h9UvgM

if daily few hundreds cases plus dunno how many asymptomatic cases, think most people can skip the booster jab even if there is any, can rely on natural immunity formed by infection liao....[grin]

9 hours ago, bsswan said:

image.png.7266ce32b40c2ad6aec8641dec768d8f.png

"Since the pandemic began, children have made up for between 11 percent and 20 percent of total state tests. Of the states that still report pediatric COVID-19 hospitalizations, no more than 1.9 percent of child cases resulted in hospitalization.

In total, there have been 17,413 cumulative child hospitalizations, meaning about 0.4 percent of all children who contract COVID-19 are hospitalized. Children have made up no more than 0.26 percent of virus-related deaths in states and seven states have reported no pediatric deaths.

40 percent of parents also said it was 'unlikely' that their children would be getting vaccinated."

I only overheard a report, not fully concentrating, saying the usual, many kids that have died had underlaying health conditions such as obesity, diabetes or heart strain. This would reflect the general US population but numbers would need broken down into demographics, household income, race etc. to see what, if any, differences apply.

Take from the numbers what you will, I'm not going down that road, but we've already seen quite a number of kids here testing positive.

Honestly nobody knows. And I'm of the impression that most parents won't want their children to be vaccinated, based on the situation now. So if we're going to place our bets that it's safe to resume some opening up, then we had to be mentally prepared for some children casualties along the way. 

Statistically, it's easy to say only 0.4% of infected children are serious enough to go ICU. But as a parent, if my child is part of the unlucky ones, I for sure won't be so callous and say oh it's just part of the 0.4%. If the Delta spread becomes that bad in schools and kindergartens, we will be forced to go back to HBL.

Then what's next? Is OYK going to change tune and says all children should be encouraged to be vaccinated? I had a bad feeling when we say as long as we are 80% vaccinated, it's good to go to open up more. 

Talk so much also no use, it's already a foregone conclusion. Let's just hope we get lucky. 

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Before going into the topic of whether to open border widely or not, countries need to be differentiated based on a different levels of risk.

Not just high and low.

Same to us, our risk appetite is getting bigger 😂

• Haha! 1

Hope don't anyhow open up

especially the winter months usually spread much faster in northern hemisphere..... 

I am happy dining out is relax... 

But with kids under 12 doesn't make my worries go away. 

10 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Haha, well at least we would have tried our best bro. 😊

We were advocating aggressive measures from pre CNY 2020 to even avoid importing this damn virus into our country in the first place. But..."economy". "racism." "xenophobia". Three magic words that scuppered us early on, and made sure we didn't nip this in the bud as we should have. Even after that we were advocating masking when no one else (official and establishment types) would.

So now we're stuck with mitigation. I'm still doing what I can. Encouraging my own secretary and dept staff to work from home, Zoom etc. Even though as head of dept I can't enjoy wfh myself as often, at least I can do this for those reporting to me. I know you do the same bro. 👍🏼

Sorry to hear about that. Your case is about the real sacrifice in which healthcare professionals had to make on the ground, in order to keep casualties low. One of my siblings, a staff nurse of a government hospital, was tasked to be on duty at Changi Expo, when the dormitories situation exploded. It was a case in which all hands have to be on deck, and I've vividly remembered she telling me that at one point, the govt was even asking for retired doctors, nurses to come back as volunteers. That's how thin the line was last year. 

But yeah, we still see more f**k-ups after the dormitories so nothing changed at the top. The healthcare professionals were simply asked to step up time and time again, with each of the screw ups. 

I was chastised here in this forum last year, when I questioned someone why the heck were we still going ahead with GE2020 in the midst of so many unknowns. I've got my answer half a year later, as evidenced by screw ups after screw ups, they really can't be bothered that much so long their agenda and economic goals have to be met. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Can tell they really give up and f**k all liao. You die your business, we're going to open up for $$$. 

When test balloons are so damn obvious that they don't even bother to write between the lines, I say good luck to everyone. 

• Praise 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

I had a bad feeling when we say as long as we are 80% vaccinated, it's good to go to open up more. 

Guaranteed that they'll be pushing for even higher. 80% is just a near term milestone.

In 6 months time we'll probably have jabs available for 3-11 y/o. By then, the government will go all-out to reach +90% of total population, even if this sounds near-impossible.

We only have to look at other countries with high vaccination rates - non-vaccinated still make a sizable proportion of the critically ill & those are the exact people government wants to cover.

The non-vaccinated population will face ever increasing pressure to be jabbed. Full stop.

At least in 6-12 months time, the vaccine supply & selection will grow - Novavax, Moderna/Pfizer variant targeted boosters, perhaps NUS/Arcturus COVID locally produced vaccine will be available etc etc.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, CremornePt said:

Guaranteed that they'll be pushing for even higher. 80% is just a near term milestone.

In 6 months time we'll probably have jabs available for 3-11 y/o. By then, the government will go all-out to reach +90% of total population, even if this sounds near-impossible.

We only have to look at other countries with high vaccination rates - non-vaccinated still make a sizable proportion of the critically ill & those are the exact people government wants to cover.

The non-vaccinated population will face ever increasing pressure to be jabbed. Full stop.

At least in 6-12 months time, the vaccine supply & selection will grow - Novavax, Moderna/Pfizer variant targeted boosters, perhaps NUS/Arcturus COVID locally produced vaccine will be available etc etc.

We should be looking at 80% vaccinated by end of August.

If below 12 is vaccinated, that will be 90%.

Once hit 90%, pressure will be on ppl who are unable to vaccinate.

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Once hit 90%, pressure will be on ppl who are unable refused to vaccinate.

Change a word.

• Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Once hit 90%, pressure will be on ppl who are unable to vaccinate.

No need to pressure people who are not vaccinated. Just bring in Novavax fast here, i believe unvaccinated people would automatic go take vaccine de. Lol.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

That's what I keep saying.

Moderna is superior when it comes to Delta.

:D

yeah, they are saying moderna has 3x more vaccine than pfizer, so "stronger" [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1