COVID-19: Back to the Future Phase 2 (HA) 22July to 18Aug..

RadX

Israel - 400/km2 population density

Maybe density is a missed out factor in Covid transmission.

:D

21 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Please look at the population density of Singapore and Denmark first. And the fact that mRNA vaccine efficacy has always been higher for whites than asians.

Singapore - 7,804/km2

Denmark - 137.65/km2

The spread will be a lot faster. 

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Denmark has a similar population and vaccine rate compared with Singapore today. They also use the same vaccine, pfizer and moderna.

They also have average 500 new cases for the past weeks.

Now they are completely opening up, but here everyone is screaming bloody murder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/denmark-lifts-covid-restrictions-crediting-high-vaccine-uptake-rcna1967

Denmark has become one of the first countries in the European Union to ease all of the domestic restrictions that were put in place to control the spread of Covid-19.

Government officials lifted the country's remaining restrictions Friday, including the requirement that people show proof of vaccination through a vaccine passport to enter nightclubs. Denmark's health ministry said high vaccine uptake has allowed the country to roll back the pandemic control measures.

"The epidemic is under control," Danish Health Minister Magnus Heunicke said in a statement Aug. 27, when he announced the country will not extend its Covid restrictions after Friday.

More than 83 percent of eligible people over the age of 12 in Denmark are fully vaccinated, according to the Danish Health Authority. The Scandinavian country has recorded an average of around 500 new cases each day for the past week, but the health ministry said mitigation efforts and widespread support for the vaccines no longer require Covid-19 to be categorized as a "socially critical disease."

Heunicke said Denmark is "in a good place right now" but cautioned that "we are not out of the epidemic," adding that the government will be quick to reimpose measures, if needed.

The eased restrictions also come after the release of new data on vaccine effectiveness among the Danish population. A study released earlier this month by the Statens Serum Institut in Denmark found the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was more than 84 percent effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19 from the delta variant, while the vaccine developed by Moderna was nearly 89 percent effective against delta.

Both vaccines were also found to offer strong protection against hospitalization from the delta variant. The study found Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccines were 94.4 percent and 100 percent effective, respectively, against severe disease.

Michael Bang Petersen, a professor of political science at Aarhus University in Denmark who advised the Danish government, said gaining public trust was key to vaccine acceptance in the country.

You don't just look at population size and vaccination rate. Denmark has a population density of 135 people/sq km while Spore is 7800 people/sq km.

We are literally sardine packed in public transport, foodcourts, hawker centers. I looked at Denmark's curve, they peaked at about 4k per day  before it settles to 500 per day now. We cannot assume that we will end up like them. My point is we are considered densely populated, we might end up settling at 800-1K a day with a few deaths daily. Is this something which we are ready for?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

Absolutely. 

Just this Wednesday my employee's family members tested positive for PCR and everyone in my company freaked out, including me. He went for a PCR on the same day and while waiting for his result, other colleagues kept asking me and his direct manager for the result. I understand his iPhone was inundated with questions after questions by fellow colleagues. This was both before and after his negative ART result. Well, almost everyone in my company has been vaccinated and yet they freaked out. Me too.

Thankfully his first PCR was negative. 

Same thing happened to another employee on Friday - close contact was positive and she is still waiting for her result. Finger crossed man...

Just want to say the fear is very real. I'm not sure if anyone wants to live life being anxious about your co-worker next to you or sitting near you in a new endemic norm, from time to time (I'm in essential service but even then I will enable staff to WFH when it does not affect delivery of service).

Of course the fear is very real. It just sticks in my craw when someone making public pronouncements intimates other feelings in private. 

The name of the game is hypocrisy. 

• Praise 3

7 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Israel - 22,145/km2  and population is 9 million

Bro, Israel is 22,145 km2 in terms of area. Population is 9m.  So population density is 406.4/km2.  Few times more dense than Denmark, but way lower than Singapore.

It is not 22,145/km2.........just to highlight there is a typo error in your post above

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Covid resilient nation has been given up. Now want to try Covid infected nation. 

They honestly think by letting the numbers go up we can reach a plateau and the daily cases stop increasing, and achieve the natural immunity nonsense. What about those unvaccinated? We would be putting them at a much greater risk. 

Yes, daily infected numbers will plateau when everyone was infected lor. Then serious cases start climbing. By then what? Say serious cases not important and we should look at deaths instead? 

Now I am seriously not sure about this immunity things, if vaccinated can get infected (just look at the 28-day numbers from the authority), whatever natural immunity also may not able to prevent re-infection, it can be a non-stop vicious circle...... just wiping out the weak along the way......until the time one become weak....

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Israel - 22,145/km2  and population is 9 million

Population density is a factor for sure.

Israel has 5000+ cases on Sept 10. 

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Denmark has a similar population and vaccine rate compared with Singapore today. They also use the same vaccine, pfizer and moderna.

Now they are completely opening up, but here everyone is screaming bloody murder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/denmark-lifts-covid-restrictions-crediting-high-vaccine-uptake-rcna1967

Denmark has become one of the first countries in the European Union to ease all of the domestic restrictions that were put in place to control the spread of Covid-19.

Government officials lifted the country's remaining restrictions Friday, including the requirement that people show proof of vaccination through a vaccine passport to enter nightclubs. Denmark's health ministry said high vaccine uptake has allowed the country to roll back the pandemic control measures.

"The epidemic is under control," Danish Health Minister Magnus Heunicke said in a statement Aug. 27, when he announced the country will not extend its Covid restrictions after Friday.

More than 83 percent of eligible people over the age of 12 in Denmark are fully vaccinated, according to the Danish Health Authority. The Scandinavian country has recorded an average of around 500 new cases each day for the past week, but the health ministry said mitigation efforts and widespread support for the vaccines no longer require Covid-19 to be categorized as a "socially critical disease."

Heunicke said Denmark is "in a good place right now" but cautioned that "we are not out of the epidemic," adding that the government will be quick to reimpose measures, if needed.

The eased restrictions also come after the release of new data on vaccine effectiveness among the Danish population. A study released earlier this month by the Statens Serum Institut in Denmark found the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was more than 84 percent effective at preventing symptomatic Covid-19 from the delta variant, while the vaccine developed by Moderna was nearly 89 percent effective against delta.

Both vaccines were also found to offer strong protection against hospitalization from the delta variant. The study found Pfizer’s and Moderna’s vaccines were 94.4 percent and 100 percent effective, respectively, against severe disease.

Michael Bang Petersen, a professor of political science at Aarhus University in Denmark who advised the Danish government, said gaining public trust was key to vaccine acceptance in the country.

As mention by some other forumers here,  we cannot use Denmark to make this comparison. The population density between Denmark and Singapore is like a sky and ground difference, it will spread way faster than Denmark.

What you can compare however is that with the same 5m+ population of Denmark, they have been producing a long line of badminton world champions since Morten Frost days, but Singapore could not.  Something  Singapore can think about. [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

10 minutes ago, Starry said:

Bro, Israel is 22,145 km2 in terms of area. Population is 9m.  So population density is 406.4/km2.  Few times more dense than Denmark, but way lower than Singapore.

It is not 22,145/km2.........just to highlight there is a typo error in your post above

Let's not be so divisive. Let's stay unit-ed. 😁

• Haha! 5

This round cannot restrict because the spread centred around the workplace, essential services-type workplaces to boot. They can't or don't have the will to order workplaces to shut down, so we get this latest 24 hours standby all your workers to WFH order to the companies. 

It seems fairly obvious now that the 2 clowns steering the ship have differing thinking. One wants to move fwd and take some risks, one is conservative and everything want to check clear before proceed. Daily task force meetings must be fun. The ship will only sink faster if they can't agree on a consistent direction. Just choose one approach and stick to it. With this forward-backward approach repeating in a loop, they are just making life miserable for everyone, those adverse to opening up are unhappy why they are not dng more to curb infections, those who are welcome to open up are unhappy that everyone is still living with school playground rules for social interaction. 

To be honest, i am in the for opening up camp. It's fairly obvious that for the general populace fatigue with the constant rule-following has set in. Plenty of people going out whether mandated by work or for play. Some here have voiced concern about the impact on young children, but as i am typing this post right now i have multiple groups of parents bringing their kids out around me, so... At this pt I don't see an effective way to eliminate the spread unless a curfew is declared and you have soldiers patroling the streets to deter people from stepping out of their homes 🙂

• Praise 6

13 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

read some news. even booster shot user there also kenna infected🤨

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

Now I am seriously not sure about this immunity things, if vaccinated can get infected (just look at the 28-day numbers from the authority), whatever natural immunity also may not able to prevent re-infection, it can be a non-stop vicious circle...... just wiping out the weak along the way......until the time one become weak....

You're quite right, I think. Natural immunity is just something being preached when govt felt it's safe enough to gamble once 80% vaccination has been reached. To hell with the remaining unvaccinated 20%, and to hell with the threat and possibility of newer unknown variants. 

Once we let go of control to curtail community spread, we let loose the Pandora's box. Yes, all is fine and dandy when such actions are justified by saying it's all mild symptoms, no serious illness, no need ICU yada yada until kids below 12 start dying. 

I urged the G to consider heightened alert status once again before it's too late. But knowing them, what they said here today is basically just preempting us of the measures they would be taking soon. 

Mask wearing, tightened border controls and vaccination are still keys to longer term success. Now it seems tightened local controls are no longer seen as necessary. 

• Praise 3

7 minutes ago, Ganwb79 said:

This round cannot restrict because the spread centred around the workplace, essential services-type workplaces to boot. They can't or don't have the will to order workplaces to shut down, so we get this latest 24 hours standby all your workers to WFH order to the companies. 

It seems fairly obvious now that the 2 clowns steering the ship have differing thinking. One wants to move fwd and take some risks, one is conservative and everything want to check clear before proceed. Daily task force meetings must be fun. The ship will only sink faster if they can't agree on a consistent direction. Just choose one approach and stick to it. With this forward-backward approach repeating in a loop, they are just making life miserable for everyone, those adverse to opening up are unhappy why they are not dng more to curb infections, those who are welcome to open up are unhappy that everyone is still living with school playground rules for social interaction. 

To be honest, i am in the for opening up camp. It's fairly obvious that for the general populace fatigue with the constant rule-following has set in. Plenty of people going out whether mandated by work or for play. Some here have voiced concern about the impact on young children, but as i am typing this post right now i have multiple groups of parents bringing their kids out around me, so... At this pt I don't see an effective way to eliminate the spread unless a curfew is declared and you have soldiers patroling the streets to deter people from stepping out of their homes 🙂

Where’s the captain of the ship?

• Haha! 2

38 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Israel - 400/km2 population density

Singapore is 2000/km2?

Oh.. Fcw75 already shared its 7800 per square km. 

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

when we hit 1000 or 2000 already then what?? 5000 per day??

our population only 6m? if 1 mth got 30k ppl kenna ?? wtf acceptable?????

those ppl on top must ownself and their family kenna, then they will know if we really can live with this.

now we are just sheeps for them to achieve their kpi.🤢

We are worse than Malaysia currently..

• Praise 4

28 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

We are like 20 times denser.... 

But to be fair.... Not many places are are occupied. 

The cities and towns population density probably quite close to SG. 

If I remember correctly for SG. 

The town with highest density is Woodlands

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

Besides the absolute numbers, what really scares is the numbers that will end up severely ill or die.  Denmark may have similar number of daily case now as us but the virus has already swept through their general population once.  Since we had kept the virus under control thus far, we cannot assume that we will have the same gentle rise in severely ill numbers or deaths that the european countries are now experiencing. Also there is the added factor of our much higher population density as others have already pointed out.  I believe this was what Kenneth Mak was also saying in the press conference yeterday

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Wind30 said:

I just want to say something polite. Everything has to be based by evidence. Currently in Singapore we have zero serious illness among below 12. I have a son who is 7. We cannot live our lives based on worries, etc. Why are we even shouting about children dying from COVID when we have not even seen a single serious case of COVID below 12 locally. It is totally not logical. 

Bro, nothing to do with logic, but got to do with human psychology.  There are always two groups of people. The first group are the people who are always anticipative and prepared. They tend to over-worry things sometimes, but are always well prepared in the event of a difficult situation.

The 2nd group are the cool cucumbers who will not even think about a situation until it happens in front of them. If the sky is to fall tommorrow,  they will enjoy every single hour today and worry about the sky tomorrow.

I am sure everyone has colleagues or friends that is in one of the above groups.  It is common.

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

40 minutes ago, Starry said:

You can't just look at population density of a country alone, too. Much of israel or even denmark is sparsely populated. If you compare their cities with singapore, population density shouldn't differ much, i think.

↡ Advertisement