COVID-19: Back to the Future Phase 2 (HA) 22July to 18Aug..

RadX

Later this evening got press conference to limit excessive social gatherings at Singapore Pools outlets to protect seniors. Rollover reduced back to 2. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Leong Mun Wai FB post:

Vaccination Discrimination is Illogical and Wrong

I am not anti-vax.  My family and I were vaccinated during the early days of Singapore’s vaccination programme. However, I am strongly against “segregation” based on one’s vaccination status.  Let’s call a spade a spade!  This progressive discrimination meted out by the Singapore authorities is getting more and more out of hand, in spite of the groundswell of opposition.   

While there were questionable policies this Government embarked on during the 20-month Covid-19 saga, I have given it the benefit of doubt because it is not easy to make all the right decisions in a crisis.  However, the latest measures by the MTF to differentiate the vaccinated from the unvaccinated in a discriminatory and most unfair way was the last straw for me.

Firstly, every citizen has the constitutional right to make his/her own decision to get vaccinated or not.  The option to vaccinate has to be a personal choice, and must not be coerced nor should it deprive the individual of privileges and cause duress to daily life should one refuse it.  However new restriction measures announced on 9 October 2021 targeting the unvaccinated were drastic and intrusive, making it oppressive for those who have valid or personal reasons not to be vaccinated.

Second, the Government may have again fallen prey to the “constraint of resource trap” when the focus should primarily be the welfare of her citizens.  The message conveyed is that they want to protect the vulnerable unvaccinated senior citizen from serious illness and hospitalization, but the other not so obvious implicit reason is they fear the hospital capacity will be overwhelmed.   

This potentially vulnerable group consists of about 85,000 senior citizens, already down significantly from about 200,000 in August.  They include the economically disadvantaged, destitute and those who cannot have the vaccine due to medical reasons. 

A better strategy would be to educate and persuade them to be vaccinated, while empowering them to take care of their own health. We should take this opportunity to improve their living conditions, with proper nutrition including vitamins to improve their immunity against viral infection. Undoubtedly more resources need to be allocated to this cause.   

A reason for their venturing outdoors is loneliness and boredom, thus more social workers and volunteers are needed to engage with them.  We can also plan their outdoor forays with some pre-determined route to keep them safe.  Confining them to their homes will only lead to a deterioration of their physical and mental state. 

Third, the discriminatory measures are questionable, even unfair to Singaporeans between 13 and 59 years old (we shall call them the D-group) who have opted not to be vaccinated as a personal choice. This D-group numbers about 400,000 to 500,000 but the number of Singaporeans under restriction may exceed a million including the vaccinated family members.  

The economic benefits of not discriminating against the D-group are substantial and some of these benefits can be used to improve the living and welfare conditions of the protected group described above, to enable a better economic outcome from the new ‘Living with Covid’ strategy.  

Fourth, there is uncertainty whether this discrimination will be extended to those who do not wish to take the third jab, fourth jab and so on in future.  The effectiveness of the vaccine has been shown to decline over time, and more booster jabs may be required. We cannot fault the people if they start to doubt and reject the booster jabs.  The Government should review its overall Covid strategy and not be totally dependent on vaccination. 

In conclusion, I think that differentiation or discrimination measures are not consistent with the objectives of our change in strategy from ‘Zero Covid’ to ‘Living with Covid’. The measures may not improve the public health situation but will reduce the economic benefits of the new strategy drastically.    At the same time, the measures will create a society divided between the 85% of our people living with Covid and 15% living in confinement.  

As Singaporeans we should be inclusive and discrimination of any kind must not be tolerated.

Singaporeans deserve better.

Precisely what I have advocate weeks ago. I doubt it would get much traction seem like the general sentiment spell negative toward the unvax.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

It’s never just the high vaccination rate.

I can only guess is their hygiene and habit culture.. unlike us.. still far from it..

• Praise 2

Coe kee

petrol kee

electricity kee

covid kee

gst ai kee Liao 

Long Zhong kee kah Liao!!!! 

Wah ai kee siao Liao!!!![grin]

Spoiler

54168F8B-D9CA-4C4A-A0E8-4F9CB4FEA069.gif

• Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Ahwhye said:

Don't bank too much hope on booster, it is done to "restore" the waning protection offered by the first 2 shots, it is not magic, some will still die, the best protection now is ownself take care of ownself. This covid vaccine thing has been over-promised, under-delivered so far, booster of the same thing will not be much of difference.

My heart arrhythmia from Pfizer 2nd shot is enough for my doctor to tell me not to take a 3rd mRNA jab.

However, I have a feeling that may also mean people that didn't get long term adverse side effects from their 1st 2 shots, may very well get it on their 3rd.

My own doctor tells me there is still a lot of unknowns about mRNA.

If anybody here knows medical workers in cardiology, you'll know I'm not making this up.

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:
Spoiler

Actually you are correct about this observation. One of the unmet promises of the mRNA vaccines was that development was supposed to be so fast that they could easily modify the sequences 'on the fly' and get a version that was effective against new variants to market quickly enough that they would be clinically and epidemiologically useful. 

That promise hasn't materialised. They simply cannot shorten the timeframe for safe R&D and regulatory approval enough to meet that promise. This is not computer code. And...I'm sorry to say this...but a good part of the hesitation may be because pharma needs to recoup their ROI on the original product before they can invest in new vaccines. 

Well said and I think that's majority of the truth.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Yes. 

Don't get funny ideas hor. She is decent, as am I, in real life. I only TCSS online. 😂😂😂

Can we have a picture? With mask on of course :grin:

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Ender said:

Death rate, including all variant. Can't find data for just the delta.

Singapore only 1.3k per million.

So going by this number, SG's population is 

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/singapore-population/#:~:text=The current population of Singapore,year according to UN data.

The current population of Singapore is 5,909,419 as of Friday, October 15, 2021, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data.

We can expect 7.682K deaths.

How far are we from that? :sick:

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

So going by this number, SG's population is 

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/singapore-population/#:~:text=The current population of Singapore,year according to UN data.

The current population of Singapore is 5,909,419 as of Friday, October 15, 2021, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data.

We can expect 7.682K deaths.

How far are we from that? :sick:

I wasn't clear on my description, Death per million covid cases.. I missed out on the underlined words.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Odyssey2011 said:

Vaccine protect you forever? When will this covid end? 6 months, 1 year or 2 years more. I think it will stay with us for every long. 

06 Sep 2021: 80% immunity from Pfizer vaccine lost in 6 months: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/80-immunity-pfizer-vaccine-lost-143209918.html

Can booster jabs be taken very often? 

Bro, I think don't take too many boosters.

Frankly, you'll never know which one will just be enough to trigger that autoimmune response leading to chronic health issues.

I've asked friends working in cardiology, I was told my heart arrhythmia from Pfizer is not something that can be treated effectively. It is a wait and hope it goes away strategy because even medication may not make me recover totally.

The last thing you want is a heart surgery for something that protects you for 6 months.

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Write so much for what? He come from a good school or a lousy school first? 😁

That's the first thing PAP will ask. 

Living with Covid, means lives of the unvaccinated or those in ill health will be sacrificed. PAP made the choice, and the rest of us LL suck thumb until 2025. 

Being the odd ball to criticize govt could mean that this is his only term in parliament.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Write so much for what? He come from a good school or a lousy school first? 😁

That's the first thing PAP will ask. 

Living with Covid, means lives of the unvaccinated or those in ill health will be sacrificed. PAP made the choice, and the rest of us LL suck thumb until 2025. 

At 2025, they will give a pat on their own backs and say they did a good job. But they forget that alot of their PG and mg supporters will be gone by then. 

• Praise 2

22 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Frankly, you'll never know which one will just be enough to trigger that autoimmune response leading to chronic health issues.

I've asked friends working in cardiology, I was told my heart arrhythmia from Pfizer is not something that can be treated effectively. It is a wait and hope it goes away strategy because even medication may not make me recover totally.

The last thing you want is a heart surgery for something that protects you for 6 months.

Russian roulette.

Are you in your 40s?

Edited by Fcw75

18 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Agree.

You are not the only one. I developed a bit of this issue recently. 

Edited by Odyssey2011
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

Coe kee

petrol kee

electricity kee

covid kee

gst ai kee Liao 

Long Zhong kee kah Liao!!!! 

Wah ai kee siao Liao!!!![grin]

Reveal hidden contents

Covid Kee. This will likely make you suffer more. Health comes first. Your health determine your wealth.

Edited by Odyssey2011
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Arogab said:

I think over how lian and over paid lah

It don't have to be mandatory. I have several unvaxxed people in my team, I talked to them. They all have several reasons and of cos I get stupid reasons that I don't trust this or I have not decided what to take and I am scared if I got vaccination then I might die or whatever health reasons. 

But as I addressed them, I can proudly says none of them were infected after our mass vaccination. Maybe other can say, I got how many people only, easy to handle. But things are suppose to be handled from easy to difficult and the basic should not change

Like now, once been vaccinated, is there really a need for booster? Maybe not. Or at least, not yet so soon.

I agree that actually it is possible to stave off the risk of infection by adhering to simple precautions and strictly maintain your own safety measures.

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

My heart arrhythmia from Pfizer 2nd shot is enough for my doctor to tell me not to take a 3rd mRNA jab.

However, I have a feeling that may also mean people that didn't get long term adverse side effects from their 1st 2 shots, may very well get it on their 3rd.

My own doctor tells me there is still a lot of unknowns about mRNA.

If anybody here knows medical workers in cardiology, you'll know I'm not making this up.

A good reason to, if you must die die want to take the booster, go for a different brand. At least, to avoid "concentrating" the side effects.

↡ Advertisement