Low Mileage Car

Goldenvodka

Been working from home since covid started.

At first still have some alternate week arrangement but for the past 6 months totally never step into office.

Just realized the following things

1) 6 months travel only about 500km. noticed this when I am scheduling for the next oil change. Wonder if can push the next oil change to a couple of months more. like change a year once

2) 1 full tank petrol can use 3 months. Maybe next time should top just 1/4 tank

Any other ideas to save on maintenance for a real low mileage car?

↡ Advertisement

New car should still be under AD service? Then recommend maintain six month interval since free servicing also got expiry date

If you wanna save on maintenance sell your car and take Grab. Seems like u have little use for this $50/day item

• Haha! 1

If no longer under warranty, change oil at 18 months.  The car is a lot more robust than most think.  I would probably stretch to 2 years with such low usage. 

• Haha! 3

@Goldenvodka 

just my personal view ..

any particular reason you are thinking of moving back your servicing? to avoid going out to places or delay spending money?

if avoid going out, then sure, because no one knows who has been in contact with who etc, and totally understandable want to reduce risks.

but if its to delay spending money, i think imho its marginal .. sure the engine oil will not overnight upon the stroke of X months suddenly lose its viscosity or something, but to me if its money that needs to be spent, servicing that needs to be done, whether its today or 60 days' time, is not going to make much of an impact by doing on time ..

for filling the tank, there is another thought .. not a scientist but just thinking if a full tank means less air inside and therefore less loss by evaporation, so keeping a full tank is better?

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

In low humidity countries, it can be stretched super duper long for low mileage car.

In our climate, I will not go beyond 12 months.  "Too much" moisture in EO.

• Praise 8

Supersonic
14 minutes ago, Goldenvodka said:

At first still have some alternate week arrangement but for the past 6 months totally never step into office.

1) 6 months travel only about 500km. noticed this when I am scheduling for the next oil change. Wonder if can push the next oil change to a couple of months more. like change a year once

2) 1 full tank petrol can use 3 months. Maybe next time should top just 1/4 tank

Assuming your car is under AD warranty, the T&C usually states servicing interval is max X km or X months. Otherwise warranty may be void. Can argue abt covid, WFH, blah-blah-blah but if later got big ticket item to claim, the advantage is on their side. So bo pian, send for service lor. Oredi save so much $$ on wear & tear, petrol, parking, etc for past 6 mths so just let it go

If not under warranty, u are the underwriter. So do as u wish. Lol

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
19 minutes ago, Goldenvodka said:

For engine oil servicing, i will not prolong the interval, maybe I will use a cheaper oil instead? Due to our humidity, our engine oil will degrade faster.

For petrol, yah. You should just pump like $30 each time, to keep the petrol "fresh" but don't worry lah. Petrol will take months before it goes stale.

You should still wash your car regularly. And remember to monitor your tyre pressure.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

1. do it once a year is ok. if you do short trips then be aware of fuel dilution in the engine oil as the oil will not be hot enough to allow the fuel vapors to evaporate. maybe change even earlier.

2. yes, keep it 1/4 tank. fresh fuel is always better.

3. dont waste time and petrol starting the car and let it idle. a decent battery should be able to last 2weeks if you dont have parking camera. just go for a normal drive and it will charge up fine.

Never let your fuel thank go below 1/4 as the fuel pump is below this level and the fuel pump uses the petrol in your tank to cool itself.

So I will never go below half tank.

Also the more air in your fuel tank means more moisture.

:D

1 hour ago, Goldenvodka said:

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Soya said:

Assuming your car is under AD warranty, the T&C usually states servicing interval is max X km or X months. Otherwise warranty may be void. Can argue abt covid, WFH, blah-blah-blah but if later got big ticket item to claim, the advantage is on their side. So bo pian, send for service lor. Oredi save so much $$ on wear & tear, petrol, parking, etc for past 6 mths so just let it go

If not under warranty, u are the underwriter. So do as u wish. Lol

Ya. My AD called me to send my car for servicing even thou mileage not reach due to warranty issue. Tot can stretch a bit but they strictly follow 15k km or once annually.

• Praise 5

(edited)

My car is old car. no more warranty already

last time I used to perform servicing 7500km interval or 6 monthly whichever came first

but now 6 months also cannot travel 500km so I am thinking of changing to change EO every 12 months.

Items like AC filter, Air filter, sparkplug, I intend to change them when the millage reaches instead of yearly interval now 

Important things like coolant, ATF and EO. Will still change them accordingly to servicing schedules 

As for Tyres, this one I won't play play. Important thing. Every 48000km or 4 years. Even only drive less than 500km

Edited by Goldenvodka
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Goldenvodka said:

My car is old car. no more warranty already

last time I used to perform servicing 7500km interval or 6 monthly whichever came first

but now 6 months also cannot travel 500km so I am thinking of changing to change EO every 12 months.

Items like AC filter, Air filter, sparkplug, I intend to change them when the millage reaches instead of yearly interval now 

Important things like coolant, ATF and EO. Will still change them accordingly to servicing schedules 

yeah. There is no hard and fast rule on your car servicing. You drive your car, you know what is best for your car too. As long you got sayang her, she will sayang you back one. hahaha.

remb to buy 4d of your carplate whenever you bring her for a oil change, maybe she will thank you back by grand prize! hahahahaha

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Goldenvodka said:

yours is a SS right?

1 - i would extend too. But maybe to 8 to 9 months. will not stretch to 12.

2 - Normally i will top up half tank. Like some say, more fuel = less evaporation.

But 500km is really low for 6 months. i dont drive to work but still clock 3 to 4k in 6 months. If really want to save, can consider to sell the car. 

• Praise 2

(edited)

@Stratovarius 

COE Swift. 

No more loan.. now only service road tax and maintenance. COE still have 7 years to go.

Scared sell away next time no money to buy car 🙄 when reopen.

1 month about once or twice drive to nearby mall to makan only. less than 20km clocked each time

Edited by Goldenvodka
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
31 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Never let your fuel thank go below 1/4 as the fuel pump is below this level and the fuel pump uses the petrol in your tank to cool itself.

So I will never go below half tank.

Also the more air in your fuel tank means more moisture.

:D

had an old merc classic plate before. fuel sat for a long long time. found that fresh fuel was much better. thus decided to keep it low and pump only when needed. anyway, that was my experience.

• Praise 2

58 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Ya. My AD called me to send my car for servicing even thou mileage not reach due to warranty issue. Tot can stretch a bit but they strictly follow 15k km or once annually.

Yah if u miss any one might void ur warranty

Looks like different ADs got different practices.

I went back to Tan Chong for the free servicing every 6 mth, even though i also low mileage...

then last month, when i asked, the AD said they understand covid, many people WFH, so they are ok with the servicings being stretched beyond 6 mth... didn't say actual allowance, but just said 'but should not wait few years lah'...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1