Low Mileage Car

Goldenvodka

Supersonic
18 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

@Stratovarius 

COE Swift. 

No more loan.. now only service road tax and maintenance. COE still have 7 years to go.

Scared sell away next time no money to buy car 🙄 when reopen.

1 month about once or twice drive to nearby mall to makan only. less than 20km clocked each time

Rather than be concerned over the low mileage in the last 12 months, what's the overall mileage of your COE Swift? If mileage oredi high, good that the car gets a rest.

↡ Advertisement

If the usage is so low, really doesn't make sense to keep the car. It is throwing away 6 or 700 dollars each month. Unless your lifestyle and usage will revert back to normal once the covid arrangement is over, like by Dec. 

Otherwise can consider selling the car and keep the money one side and buy back one if the same mileage/age again when you need to drive often again. 

• Praise 2

21 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

@Stratovarius 

COE Swift. 

No more loan.. now only service road tax and maintenance. COE still have 7 years to go.

Scared sell away next time no money to buy car 🙄 when reopen.

1 month about once or twice drive to nearby mall to makan only. less than 20km clocked each time

just a thought, if you dont use your car much, the tyres may flat spot too .. it may not be perfectly round because the patch the tyres have contact with the ground, may be slightly flat .. may not notice it in normal driving but on a higher speed run, you can hear the tyres go bum bum bum .. 

also i read in the car manual before, certain things like air con best to run once a week ..

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

If the usage is so low, really doesn't make sense to keep the car. It is throwing away 6 or 700 dollars each month. Unless your lifestyle and usage will revert back to normal once the covid arrangement is over, like by Dec. 

Otherwise can consider selling the car and keep the money one side and buy back one if the same mileage/age again when you need to drive often again. 

If it’s a renewed COE car at a good price. I think it’s around $2-300 a month only. 

if you go out more than 10 times a month you break even already assuming a ride cost $20. 

Usually older car has more issues and problems/ maintenance cost and tyres change etc.

For me, relatively new car under 5 yo,just drive and be free spirited, my trusted w/s boss will tell me, Japs car no problem de, whack hard and use to the fullest capacity, now korean car can give Japs a run for the money, both are very economical and light on pocket.

Ppl buy car to drive, not to park and maintain like showroom condition . . . my motto is " U own a horse to be ridden, not keeping it inside the stable whole week," the horse will become a donkey.  . . . Hee hor ! " [drivingcar] 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

I change based on mileage always. I've never found any basis for 6 monthly servicing.

but now bit heck care liao. maybe 15k service one time for jap/korean cars.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

6 mths only drive 500km.
TS don’t need a car

TS want a car.

haha yeah 500km. Even intra-estate dabao over 6 months should be more than that man.

• Haha! 1

Just now, Lala81 said:

haha yeah 500km. Even intra-estate dabao over 6 months should be more than that man.

😂

My wife and I are mostly wfh.  Mileage over 8 months is close to 7k km.

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Mooose said:

just a thought, if you dont use your car much, the tyres may flat spot too .. it may not be perfectly round because the patch the tyres have contact with the ground, may be slightly flat .. may not notice it in normal driving but on a higher speed run, you can hear the tyres go bum bum bum .. 

also i read in the car manual before, certain things like air con best to run once a week ..

nah... flat spot not so easy unless for a few months never move at all.

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Meanmachine said:

Usually older car has more issues and problems/ maintenance cost and tyres change etc.

For me, relatively new car under 5 yo,just drive and be free spirited, my trusted w/s boss will tell me, Japs car no problem de, whack hard and use to the fullest capacity, now korean car can give Japs a run for the money, both are very economical and light on pocket.

Ppl buy car to drive, not to park and maintain like showroom condition . . . my motto is " U own a horse to be ridden, not keeping it inside the stable whole week," the horse will become a donkey.  . . . Hee hor ! " [drivingcar] 

why workshop boss say only Jap car no problem? conti many problems meh? 😁

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

😂

U cycle more than you drive... 

• Haha! 3

Supersonic
19 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

😂

I guess even default wfh, but sometimes still would drive the car out, like dabao foods or buy groceries right? And during weekends also should use the car go out walk walk? Should able to clock some mileage? I think low usage of car now is quite common, since people wfh mostly. But no choice but still have to hold on to the car. Cause life should be back to normal eventually? Lol.

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, may_dream said:

@Goldenvodka i don't drive to work also and mine is OPC but i managed to clock like 800km per month. i only visit friends on weekends. 

Your milage just like my BIL.

He visits his Vietnamese friends at weekend.

They work all over Singapore.

:D

One day when you all upgrade your cars and I buy from you no one will believe the low mileage.

They will all think I clock the cars.

Very hard to sell.

:D

(edited)

Additional few more reasons why of the low mileage. In the past used to drive to Malaysia and workplace. My workplace each day can clock about 50km.

Now only use car to go further neighborhood places where LRT cannot reach or there is a transfer between MRT/LRT

1. Walk to buy groceries or if lazy, amazon fresh

2. Nearby neighborhood mall usually I take LRT. Lazy to find parking.

As for meeting friends, a personal pool of friends that meet up must drink alcohol drinks. So driving is no way

Edited by Goldenvodka
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

😂

This is roughly our mileage too...

during pre-covid period 😆

one year about 10-12k...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1