Frameless Carplate

kurrent

4 hours ago, kurrent said:

Can try gary art sign at bt batok or chuan heng at sing ming? Not advertising or affiliated with them. Just some of the shop i came across earlier. 🙂 

Bought a couple of times at Chuan Heng. Good quality (Acrylic and also those chrome type). Perhaps costs a little bit more. Not sure. 

On 7/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, kurrent said:

@kobayashiGT hahaha. I find frameless nicer and more sleek. Personal preference. Saw quite a few frameless carplates on the street. Was wondering whether is it legal. I saw some car review, the guy mentioned that the car doesnt need front carplate in the states.

Hope you get a few more people that turn their heads cos your number plate is nice.

• Haha! 2

On 7/24/2021 at 5:08 PM, t0y0ta said:

You must be quite young.

Before 2000s, most license plates were all frameless, even plates mounted by official ADs. Basically 1 piece of glossy clear acrylic where the silver letters were spray painted on the back before spraying on the layer of black background. They were mounted directly using bolts, so you can see 2 bolt heads on the plate.

So confirm legal, as long as the letter size/font/color meet the LTA regulations.

Recent decade moved to framed I think is due to 

- can conceal the 2 (ugly) bolt heads

- The frame can print all the messages advertising who sold the car etc

Anyone remember the black on yellow number plates ?

If it is not broken....why change it? The one given by your car dealer is the safest bet. It is made of metal and it doesnt get damaged easily.

16 hours ago, Davidklt said:

Anyone remember the black on yellow number plates ?

I have black on yellow at the back and white in front. Suits some car colour better than silver on black. 

2 hours ago, kurrent said:

@Discoburg Bro in the end what you did with your carplate? Change back to the frame type and send for inspection? Any fines?

Just paid the fine and sold away the ride. Now I just use whatever the AD gives.

Supersonic
On 7/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, kurrent said:

Hi. Did anyone have their carplate installed without the frame using double sided tape or frameless kit such as flatee? May i know whether is it legal and will the vehicle pass the inspection?46FEEAA3-EC5B-4452-B6EB-547C05B0C5B4.thumb.png.51ed3587e8fbc945b08173634861655d.png

24F5EFE0-83BD-4B4A-B466-2BE72A6867EE.png

Why cannot frameless? The frame is not a legal requirement. It's there to advertise the AD's name

• Haha! 1

@Soya Hi Soya. I was told that by right need to secure the carplate using screws or bolt & nuts instead of using double sided tape. By doing this, they will need to drill 2 holes into the car. I havent got my ride which mean i can choose either one. 

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, kurrent said:

@Soya Hi Soya. I was told that by right need to secure the carplate using screws or bolt & nuts instead of using double sided tape. By doing this, they will need to drill 2 holes into the car. I havent got my ride which mean i can choose either one. 

Who ever told u that? lol

Mine is frameless. Pass inspection maciam Einstein pass PSLE

• Praise 1

Supersonic
Just now, kurrent said:

@Soya How did you mount them? Using double sided tape? Got one bro here kanna caught for frameless. 

Double sided tape. Otherwise how to mount?

Whoever kena caught for 'frameless plate' probably had other issues like non-compliant font, plate size, etc. Definitely not because use double sided tape.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, kurrent said:

@Soya Can use either double sided tape or using flatee. How long have you been on frameless carplate?

Long enuf. If u scare, mount it on a frame. Can sleep better.

Turbocharged
19 minutes ago, kurrent said:

don't see any such regulation before and as mentioned previously mine was pasted with 3M tape for my previous ride and have went for many inspections with no issue. anyway even with the 2 holes, the frame can be open easily and plates can be taken out within seconds, don't see any different. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
29 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

don't see any such regulation before and as mentioned previously mine was pasted with 3M tape for my previous ride and have went for many inspections with no issue. anyway even with the 2 holes, the frame can be open easily and plates can be taken out within seconds, don't see any different. 

there was one S2000 who was stopped by VICOM during regular vehicle inspection for double side tape license plate. he posted a video before. there were also 3 LTA vehicle engineering chaps there and they also insisted that without screws is a fail.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1