Frameless Carplate

kurrent

Hi. Did anyone have their carplate installed without the frame using double sided tape or frameless kit such as flatee? May i know whether is it legal and will the vehicle pass the inspection?46FEEAA3-EC5B-4452-B6EB-547C05B0C5B4.thumb.png.51ed3587e8fbc945b08173634861655d.png

24F5EFE0-83BD-4B4A-B466-2BE72A6867EE.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
38 minutes ago, kurrent said:

Hi. Did anyone have their carplate installed without the frame using double sided tape or frameless kit such as flatee? May i know whether is it legal and will the vehicle pass the inspection?46FEEAA3-EC5B-4452-B6EB-547C05B0C5B4.thumb.png.51ed3587e8fbc945b08173634861655d.png

You must be quite young.

Before 2000s, most license plates were all frameless, even plates mounted by official ADs. Basically 1 piece of glossy clear acrylic where the silver letters were spray painted on the back before spraying on the layer of black background. They were mounted directly using bolts, so you can see 2 bolt heads on the plate.

So confirm legal, as long as the letter size/font/color meet the LTA regulations.

Recent decade moved to framed I think is due to 

- can conceal the 2 (ugly) bolt heads

- The frame can print all the messages advertising who sold the car etc

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
48 minutes ago, kurrent said:

frameless no issue, my previous car using chrome frameless went for many inspection no issue. It's more of the font and size of the plate and as long not reflective usually ok. The workshop providing should be able to advise u which is legal which is not.

Internal Moderator

I won't do anything to my carplate. I don't buy 4D and I don't find it aesthetical pleasing in anyway. I have car plate because govt make me do so. hahah.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

@t0y0ta haha i know its legal if there is bolt onto the frameless carplate. What i meant is using frameless kit as shown in the photo or using double sided tape. 

@kobayashiGT hahaha. I find frameless nicer and more sleek. Personal preference. Saw quite a few frameless carplates on the street. Was wondering whether is it legal. I saw some car review, the guy mentioned that the car doesnt need front carplate in the states.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, kurrent said:

@kobayashiGT hahaha. I find frameless nicer and more sleek. Personal preference. Saw quite a few frameless carplates on the street. Was wondering whether is it legal. I saw some car review, the guy mentioned that the car doesnt need front carplate in the states.

yeah. no right no wrong lah. buy anything that make you happy! :a-happy:

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, kurrent said:

It is not illegal. Just stick it on. No one would notice. Nor interested. 

3 hours ago, kurrent said:

I once was caught by LTA for licence plate with a frame holder. I was told the license plate need to be secured with screws on to the bumper.

• Haha! 1

Not sure if this article  is valid.

.......All vehicles have to be fitted with the appropriate mounting brackets for both the front and rear car plates.

Vehicle owners are expected to mount their licence plates securely and permanently at the position identified by their vehicles' manufacturer.....

https://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=a&AID=339

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

I once was caught by LTA for licence plate with a frame holder. I was told the license plate need to be secured with screws on to the bumper.

yes correct safety issue...might fly off and kena other road user [thumbsup]

best is those lampo and ferla pasting a vinyl sticker license number...confirm dun fly away but adhesive will dry up [drivingcar]

• Haha! 3

3 hours ago, kurrent said:

I once asked Flatee in their IG pages on whether is their product legal in SG and their answer is yes. So maybe can revert back to them if kena fined.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Dafansu said:

@kurrent mine with 3M tape no issue, went through many inspection

Yeah. You will also pass inspection with license plates with illegal fonts. Thats not a criteria for car inspection.

Supercharged

Just want to ask the experts here, is pot belly car plate legal? It looks crystallized finish on a black car plate. 

Twincharged
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

Just want to ask the experts here, is pot belly car plate legal? It looks crystallized finish on a black car plate

Pictures? Easier to understand. 
anyway the statutes only say the plate must be secured properly. It never say must use screws. If double side tape is strong enough I don’t see why not. 
same with the bloody IU. I’m sure the plastic plate is lighter than the IU anytime. 
worse case is just cut off the tops of the screw and then glue it on the plate to make it look like secured by screws. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1