CNA Documentary - Losing Our Jobs In COVID-19: This Is Our Story

CremornePt

53 minutes ago, CremornePt said:

I found this CNA documentary to be excellent...

Yah... Watched the full episode last week. 

SG still is the luckiest among all other countries in the region. 

I also feel I am not directly affected should not complain too much comparing with those directly affected. 

• Praise 6

i watched one of the episodes earlier, thanks for putting this on 1 page. 

We are quite fortunate here although many have also lost their jobs. i am surprised there have been no race riots in neighbouring countries yet.

• Praise 4

Recently my friends and I received quite a lot of "part time jobs...... Etc from many different non-local numbers... 

My wife too.... I said these likely a scams too given if the are really genuine jobs posting why do they need oversea numbers? 

Unless they have something to hide. 

Hope such "jobs posting" are really looking a helping people out of jobs. 

• Haha! 1

Saw the whole Episode and it is a poignant reminder that this is real

in the meantime, we here who are employed and still in a relatively unfazed place must be in gratitude to be in this position. I definitely am!

• Praise 13

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Atonchia said:

Recently my friends and I received quite a lot of "part time jobs...... Etc from many different non-local numbers... 

My wife too.... I said these likely a scams too given if the are really genuine jobs posting why do they need oversea numbers? 

Unless they have something to hide. 

Hope such "jobs posting" are really looking a helping people out of jobs. 

same. this type of scam are seasonal one.

World cup come liao - got soccer scam

economic not good - got job scam

bitcoin booming - got cryptocurrency scam.

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

same. this type of scam are seasonal one.

World cup come liao - got soccer scam

economic not good - got job scam

bitcoin booming - got cryptocurrency scam.

all time favourite - chio bu scam...

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, Ahwhye said:

all time favourite - chio bu scam...

I never kenna scam before from chio bu. but if got chio bu wanna scam me, i think i will fall for it. hahahahah.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Must be fake news and fake people being featured lah..cos ah ms teo ownself praise ownself said under her charge, employment rate is back to pre-covid levels...so where got cham? pofma? 😆

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/jobs/resident-employment-rebounds-to-above-pre-covid-level-unemployment-rate-fell-again-in

Edited by Kyrios

9 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Must be fake news and fake people being featured lah..cos ah ms teo ownself praise ownself said under her charge, employment rate is back to pre-covid levels...so where got cham? pofma? 😆

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/jobs/resident-employment-rebounds-to-above-pre-covid-level-unemployment-rate-fell-again-in

Its impressive from a state control media. Watch to pass time can. 

• Haha! 2

(edited)

Watched the 1st eps and the reality on the ground is real. 

What I cannot stand the english of our Singaporean.... every sentence must use the word Actually. I'm actually very tired. I'm actually trying to book a hotel right now. Actually, actually actually. Like a punctuation mark. Goodness.... even though the thai dont speak good english, its more bearable. The HK-ers english is the best amongst these 3.

My apologies for nit-picking on their english.

Edited by Old-driver
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Twincharged
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Old-driver said:

Watched the 1st eps and the reality on the ground is real. 

What I cannot stand the english of our Singaporean.... every sentence must use the word Actually. I'm actually very tired. I'm actually trying to book a hotel right now. Actually, actually actually. Like a punctuation mark. Goodness.... even though the thai dont speak good english, its more bearable. The HK-ers english is the best amongst these 3.

My apologies for nit-picking on their english.

Actually I’m also actually irritated with the use of actually!haha

besides actually, there is the overuse of “can” which I believe is just a translation of 可以. Only Singaporeans and Malaysians use “can”

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Actually I’m also actually irritated with the use of actually!haha

besides actually, there is the overuse of “can” which I believe is just a translation of 可以. Only Singaporeans and Malaysians use “can”

@Mkl22 Haha! So I'm not the only one. I guess its the way SGeans talk. Quite painful to the ears `actually' once it is overused. 

Edited by Old-driver

9 hours ago, Kyrios said:

I think it's very true..... Whilst unemployment is lower, there's no note whether people earn same, more or less.....or whether one guy needs to work two jobs 

I would believe the case highlighted in this program may be common, minus condo, car, new baby etc.

Turbocharged
16 minutes ago, bsswan said:

I think it's very true..... Whilst unemployment is lower, there's no note whether people earn same, more or less.....or whether one guy needs to work two jobs 

I would believe the case highlighted in this program may be common, minus condo, car, new baby etc.

Yup..not sure what is MOM's treatment of people who have been laid off but doing gig economy jobs as they struggle to find something better. During this 'gig' period, does MOM consider them to be gainfully employed?

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Those who are retrenched and have joined the gig industries will be considered employed. So she is not wrong although we know this is all bulls**t.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5