Basketball structure fell on kid, sadly passed away..

Beanoyip

Turbocharged
(edited)

This is not a new basketball court. It has been there for some years, min 8-9 yrs if not longer. Those living nearby will know better.

Edited by Kxbc
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Basic knowledge of structure engineering will tell you the highest stress occurs at the point where it joins the ground. If they put a weld joint precisely there, then that's goondu design. Approved by goondu authorities. 

that's my guess based on the photo

the (galvanised?) frame looks new so I ruled out corrosion

------------------------------------------------------------------

I just read the post above mine

if it is not new, it could be rust forming around the circumference of both poles

fence1.jpg

Edited by Phang
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged
9 minutes ago, Beregond said:

my block there some years back they build a shelter pick up point.  u already know how narrow those road inside hdb compound is, they build that pick up point at a sharp bend. normally cars need to give way to each other at the bend . very hard for 2 cars to pass by each other side by side .

but they choose to build the pick up point there. serve almost 0 purpose. create problem

The one who done up the proposal is dumb.
And the one who passed the proposal is dumber.

Turbocharged
13 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Same like sheltered walkways.

The width of the roof only adequate for two pedestrians side-by-side and rain falling straight.

Almost totally useless when there is heavy slanting rain from heavy wind.

Those who green-lighted those sheltered walkways or those who designed those walkways don't have the foresight to see that rain doesn't always fall straight and pedestrians don't always walk in a single file. 😕

be reasonable lah

how wide u want them to build?

there are standard guidelines and dimensions to the infra

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Yes, same thought. They copy NBA players!

It happened at my former work place. Fortunately, the structure was very strong. Only the ring gave way!

But did their basketballs go inside the net !?:grin:

10 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Basic knowledge of structure engineering will tell you the highest stress occurs at the point where it joins the ground. If they put a weld joint precisely there, then that's goondu design. Approved by goondu authorities. 

Technically they r not wrong, a properly welded joint will be stronger than the parent metal itself, the key word is "properly welded", that 1 only the person who weld n the person who inspected it will know.

2 hours ago, Chongster said:

Apart from the fact that people can die if heavy things drop on them, I don’t think there’s anything else to concluse from this incident.  Sad.

It seems to be of a structural problem. The two thin pipes were not strong enough to support the whole structure.

• Praise 3

(edited)

this bball post looks "weird" to me. I am (was) a bball player. The post are usually 1 thick one or 2 medium sized ( but spaced apart, prob about 1.2-1.5m?) The posts looks way too near each other. Its about the width of the basket. Means ard 60cm ?!?  Plus it looks thin and unstable to me.  

I say it is design fault !!!! They better come clean !! 

I believe this court is part of the East Coast Plan 

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Scion said:

be reasonable lah

how wide u want them to build?

there are standard guidelines and dimensions to the infra

Then I think those who drew up those guidelines on sheltered walkways did not do a good enough job.
They just drew up what is theoretically adequate (accordingly to their own assumptions) but practically and functionally lacking. 

18 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

i dunno about the kids nowadays but i played quite abit of bb in my sec school days. We were considered good if we can touch the net. Only slam dunk when we go back primary school "visiting teachers". 

Lol. Now we know who the culprits were!😂

• Haha! 2

10 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

But did their basketballs go inside the net !?:grin:

They brought down the ring!

• Shocked 1

54 minutes ago, RadX said:

i also say, but i see them hangin for dear life sometimes..clearly the base had eroded

If structural design, contractor fault. 

If rusted...... then meant...

The whole design of the basketball structure are too flimsy, light bottom and heavy top, one look at it i can tell it's unsafe.

I played basketball and I knew how players warmed up practise by shooting from centre court and dunking at times, even the court spot-light if blown needs weeks of replacement, i must admit it is due to poor follow-up on maintenance & repairs, someone must notify the town council via RC committee to Community Centre staff. And the fitness club equipments provided to HDB residents are in state of despair .let alone the basketball structure mishap.[bigcry]

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

i think they only build the structures, no one inspect or maintain it...until it falls.

i go to a few children playground nearby, and saw steel cables were broken, exposed. No one inspect them, no one fix them.

I thought so too. Doubt the public amenities like playgrounds and basketball court are routinely checked and maintain. 

Like you, I also observed a lot of these poorly maintained equipment around the estate. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

If structural design, contractor fault. 

If rusted...... then meant...

If structural design, shouldn't it be the architect's fault? As long as the contractor built according to the specs!

If rusted, it could be contractor's fault or maintenance...

3 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Lol. Now we know who the culprits were!😂

ya. every year during teacher's day the graduated students will break the bb net ring. Till the principal banned us from the court.:XD:

But only the ring broke. The structure still stayed. Nowadays courts and playgrounds are not as robustly built as last time. They do look sleeker, but not anywhere near the robustness as those old designs. 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

It’s the worksmanship nowadays. Long time ago when I played bball, where got such problem when I hanged on the rim.

If during young time I'd played more basketball I could have been taller by another 6 or 7 inches.
I think now it is impossible....:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1