Basketball structure fell on kid, sadly passed away..

Beanoyip

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Blueray said:

since it is already tilted, why still play there and still do slam dunk ? 

Most teens don't know the danger...

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

11 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

It was reported that the courts were renovated in April 2020, including the frame.

Anyway, RIP.

KNS, 1 year + nia can have such catastrophic failure. 

9 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

I was crazy about basketball during my sec school days and I could dunk. That time the structure was very sturdy and the backboard was wood. No way of it collapsing like this.

The rims at Eunos where I stayed was a double rimmed and smaller than other courts. 

like this huh ??

hqdefault.jpg.770fdf9a747535dccbbf2142f0bb4292.jpg

mai HAO LIAN leh :XD:

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

(edited)

a picture paints a thousand words. Enuff said

Pic of NEW post

432323183_WhatsAppImage2021-07-27at7_51_15PM.jpeg.f45ee6c7c0283e6a2cbf6d875a573a2d.jpeg

Commonly found posts around Singapore.

9fc88de3-7038-48b6-be06-5dd656d4e5e8.thumb.jpg.2316bd2615e3aafe8f75f5cf37d1acc1.jpg

91dc4049-4881-4650-ac7b-1c2902c4921d.thumb.jpg.84499a7941dc861c4453b7adc62548f8.jpg

c339a221-b3b3-471e-b786-665ecd9bdf96.jpg.27b90962da998aae3d4488e45e0a9e85.jpg

It's an accident waiting to happen !!!! No, not accident. Its NEGLIGENCE  ! 

No point having inspections when structure is doomed to fail from Day 1. Matter of when nia 

KNNBCCB !!! A life is lost cos someone somewhere farking bo chup [furious]

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 6

10 minutes ago, Chongster said:

this is last time design lah, like 80s

I doubt old.

Look at the flooring, newly coat acylic flooring and the board looks new to me. ^_^

If 80's ones, the flooring are cement. [sly]

I believe that due to the space constrain, it was designed this way. Just behind it is a fencing so close by. :we-all-gonna-die:

Turbocharged

Think most engineers will say the 2 post are too close together, providing minimal support..

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Othello said:

Pic of NEW post

432323183_WhatsAppImage2021-07-27at7_51_15PM.jpeg.f45ee6c7c0283e6a2cbf6d875a573a2d.jpeg

The amount of weights at the top structures for the two thin poles to carry .... :a-noway:

Design for failure. :dizzy: 

• Praise 4

(edited)
18 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

MCF really have a lot of professional structural engineers.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

no lah ... I am just a keyboard warrior 😁

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

21 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

MCF really have a lot of professional structural engineers.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

In fact it’s good to learn the different types of posts …….. my primary school time it was just a solitary pole with a hoop sticking out ( similar to a fishing pole with cut out net ) just sticking out maybe 1 feet only ) , later on came a big one like a Trojan horse type with wheels which can lock or put a wedge ( sand bags ) between the wheels to prevent it moving …….. don’t see them around this days as back then it freed up the school  assembly area for multi purpose facilities 

• Praise 2

21 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Not as professional engineers but had attended & passed the Advance WSH (Workplace Safety & Health) courses.  [pirate] 

Can only give feedbacks base on my observations:secret-laugh:

So in any incidents, the course teaches you to study the safety aspect so as to prevent furture incidents from happening.

cheers :a-toast:

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

29 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

So is SportSG responsible for the design ????? :slow: 

Not the first time it happened and why never look into the design flaw ... :lll._.: 

(edited)

I remembered when I was playing basketball as a teen the structure although the two big diameter legs are made from steel pipes which they are not hollowed. I think they were concrete filled to a certain height. Those are in the CC or community centers, they are somehow better built. Even if they were rusted they are still held up by the concrete. What we see from the pictures the concrete is filled inside the pipe only to the ground level probably. It should be filled higher.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Othello said:

KNS, 1 year + nia can have such catastrophic failure. 

like this huh ??

hqdefault.jpg.770fdf9a747535dccbbf2142f0bb4292.jpg

mai HAO LIAN leh :XD:

Hahaha…in my dreams man.

Ya lor, one year plus also like that. Really is KNN…

Turbocharged

No point having inspections when structure is doomed to fail from Day 1. Matter of when nia 

We will see what the state coroner says....but yiu know I know....[laugh]

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

I remembered when I was playing basketball as a teen the structure although the two big diameter legs are made from steel pipes they are not hollowed. I think they were concrete filled. Those are in the CC or community centers. Even if they were rusted they are still held up by the concrete. What we see from the pictures the concrete is filled inside the pipe only to the ground level. It should be filled higher.

More of using wrong sizes pipes .... :ph34r:

Looking at the total weight of the top structures the pipes are carrying, at least 12" diameter steel pipes or 10" square steel hollow tube.

At the base, there should be a cement skirting of 2" height by 1" thick surrounding the base to prevent water in contact with the steel pipe so as to prevent corrosion of the base.

My 2 cents worth of commence ... :secret-laugh:

• Praise 2

2 scenarios to ponder before we start saying its all design and structure fault.

1. structure simply fell on boy when he was below

2. structure fell on boy who hung onto the structure

there is a difference in liability.

looks likely that this case is scenario 2 ? 

Pic of NEW post

Commonly found posts around Singapore.

9fc88de3-7038-48b6-be06-5dd656d4e5e8.thumb.jpg.2316bd2615e3aafe8f75f5cf37d1acc1.jpg

91dc4049-4881-4650-ac7b-1c2902c4921d.thumb.jpg.84499a7941dc861c4453b7adc62548f8.jpg

c339a221-b3b3-471e-b786-665ecd9bdf96.jpg.27b90962da998aae3d4488e45e0a9e85.jpg

Correct.

The number of posts doesn't matter..... it's the design, material and installation that matters.

Quality over Quantity.

37 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Not as professional engineers but had attended & passed the Advance WSH (Workplace Safety & Health) courses.  [pirate] 

Can only give feedbacks base on my observations:secret-laugh:

So in any incidents, the course teaches you to study the safety aspect so as to prevent furture incidents from happening.

cheers :a-toast:

We have “in house”  MCF safety officer @Carbon82  ……. Maybe he is busy 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1