Opel Questions

CarGuy88

Thinking of buying one. Any Opel owners car to share if there are serious reliability issues (e.g. like VW a few years back)? Also heard the depre is super bad?

Other than that they seem more comfortable than similarly priced Japanese cars, hence considering. 

Do share your thoughts and experiences!

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

To gauge reliability and popularity of a brand in Singapore. One can see the number of coe renewed cars. 
opel might be german sounding but there is nothing but GM rubbish underneath. Now under the PSA group. Lagi worse. French crap. 

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
7 hours ago, CarGuy88 said:

Thinking of buying one. Any Opel owners car to share if there are serious reliability issues (e.g. like VW a few years back)? Also heard the depre is super bad?

Other than that they seem more comfortable than similarly priced Japanese cars, hence considering. 

Do share your thoughts and experiences!

Can I know what attract you in shortlisting opel?

I can't say much for the car reliability, I don't own a Opel. But I must say, it is not popular among the resale market, if you have the tendency to drive for like 3-4 years and change car, then better not. When you are selling, you will feel the pinch.

Unless you are a 10 year driver like me. I will just drive a car until 10 years, then yeah. But you need a lot of love to drive for 10 years thou.

I have VTEC in my car, so I don't mind driving it for 10 years. hehehehehe.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

To gauge reliability and popularity of a brand in Singapore. One can see the number of coe renewed cars. 
opel might be german sounding but there is nothing but GM rubbish underneath. Now under the PSA group. Lagi worse. French crap. 

GM marry Frenchie........wow, dunno wat to say

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Soya said:

GM marry Frenchie........wow, dunno wat to say

but those who are working at opel are still germans. Just the boss are french, ex-boss are Americans. hahahhahaha

(edited)

Wow 100% of people here are against. That's important feedback!

Like I said, basically it has Japanese car price but a bit more creature comforts. If it's broken all the time then I guess not worth it liao.

BTW was thinking between Astra, Grandland and Crossland. Do continue sharing if you have any experience. Thanks!

Edited by CarGuy88
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
46 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Insignia drives quite well (rented one in Australia) but to own one? 

Good luck! 

Opel Insight= Chevy Malibu? 🤣

someone would say best in sg jb batam and maybe whole world. 

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, CarGuy88 said:

Wow 100% of people here are against. That's important feedback!

Like I said, basically it has Japanese car price but a bit more creature comforts. If it's broken all the time then I guess not worth it liao.

BTW was thinking between Astra, Grandland and Crossland. Do continue sharing if you have any experience. Thanks!

Some 15 to 20 years my friend's Opel Astra used to have persistent problems and issues.

Maybe now they improved somehow.

If still no improvement then the brand condemned liao.

Twincharged
(edited)
5 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Some 15 to 20 years my friend's Opel Astra used to have persistent problems and issues.

Maybe now they improved somehow.

If still no improvement then the brand condemned liao.

My family had the piece of shit opel vectra B. It’s was shitty to drive and own. 
Opel astra, the SAF GP station wagon one? Yup. Crappy too. SAF got it cause ST engineering got the agent for Opel in Singapore. Of course they would fob it off to the army. What a waste of tax payers money. The sunny GP car prior to that would have been more reliable. The Mitsubishi Lancer was better too. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

@CarGuy88 I guess most of the comments here will say the brand is crap. Yet I can presume most have never own one before. It is always the hearsay.

If u look at online reliability scores for Vauxhall/Opel they can be higher than other German counterparts. Of course some can always say online ratings are skewed.

No doubt u see more of those COE cars but probably not because of their reliability but because of their logo. Their logo alone brings profit to the dealers. 

To me, Jap cars are still the way to go if looking for serious reliability, but that doesn't mean you won't get a lemon car in the end.

Conti cars, GM or PSA, still fair below Jap in my opinion.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, kelaihoyin said:

@CarGuy88 I guess most of the comments here will say the brand is crap. Yet I can presume most have never own one before. It is always the hearsay.

If u look at online reliability scores for Vauxhall/Opel they can be higher than other German counterparts. Of course some can always say online ratings are skewed.

No doubt u see more of those COE cars but probably not because of their reliability but because of their logo. Their logo alone brings profit to the dealers. 

To me, Jap cars are still the way to go if looking for serious reliability, but that doesn't mean you won't get a lemon car in the end.

Nowadays Korean cars are generally reliable too right?

Should be on par with or close to Jap models.?

Unlike 20 years ago i had a Korean car a Daewoo it was rubbish!

Twincharged
13 minutes ago, kelaihoyin said:

What logo? In the end it will be the general public who pays to buy these cars. If the people don’t buy why would the dealers renew?
It’s a vicious circle, less people buy means less mechanics know how to fix and less parts supply. If one wants to be unique then sure go ahead and keep an Opel and be stuck without a strong parts spare parts supply. Go with the flow for typical bread and butter daily transport and have minimal down time. a daily bread and butter transport should be just that. Gives you reliable service. If it’s the 2nd or 3rd car sure by all means you can afford some down time. 

Thanks everyone, maybe I go down to test/touch and feel first then see if it's really as attractive as imagined. Taking into account all the cautionary comments of course. That's the best way to decide.

• Praise 3

Supersonic
21 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

My family had the piece of shit opel vectra B. It’s was shitty to drive and own. 
Opel astra, the SAF GP station wagon one? Yup. Crappy too. SAF got it cause ST engineering got the agent for Opel in Singapore. Of course they would fob it off to the army. What a waste of tax payers money. The sunny GP car prior to that would have been more reliable. The Mitsubishi Lancer was better too. 

GM is the weakest link

Look at asian Chevrolet.....crap

Saab.....destroyed by them

Opel.....messed up so bad that being owned by frenchies is supposedly something positive

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Supersonic
7 minutes ago, CarGuy88 said:

Thanks everyone, maybe I go down to test/touch and feel first then see if it's really as attractive as imagined. Taking into account all the cautionary comments of course. That's the best way to decide.

Test drive, showroom car sure feel shiok one la

Juz curious, with so many other choices around the $100-$120k budget, why settle?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1