Opel Questions

CarGuy88

Never own a opel before but some other stablemate from the same parent company.

It served me well and although less reliable than the japs, it offered a much

better drive and felt more sturdy all round. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

9 hours ago, CarGuy88 said:

Thinking of buying one. Any Opel owners car to share if there are serious reliability issues (e.g. like VW a few years back)? Also heard the depre is super bad?

Other than that they seem more comfortable than similarly priced Japanese cars, hence considering. 

Do share your thoughts and experiences!

for cars in SG, depre only got 3 types :

- bad

- badder

- badderest

if depre is a concern, buy a pre-owned Opel, should save quite a bit. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

@Soya well on paper at least their fuel economy is pretty decent for a non-hybrid; all using compound link suspension at the rear; all have all those self parking aids (I'm not the only one driving, so I find it attractive 😉); heard (yet to try for myself) have better sound insulation than avg for the bread and butter category; most of the time got 5 yr warranty; and fifinally looks wise not great but still acceptable to me.

What alternatives which are contenders would you recommend btw?

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, CarGuy88 said:

@Soya well on paper at least their fuel economy is pretty decent for a non-hybrid; all using compound link suspension at the rear; all have all those self parking aids (I'm not the only one driving, so I find it attractive 😉); heard (yet to try for myself) have better sound insulation than avg for the bread and butter category; most of the time got 5 yr warranty; and fifinally looks wise not great but still acceptable to me.

What alternatives which are contenders would you recommend btw?

100k budget go buy Avante Elite

Job done

I've personally owned an Opel Astra-H, bought on its 8th year at 240k mileage and driven it to its end of COE in 2017 touching 280k. Only issue I had was the ignition coil pack starting to fail towards the last 2 months, causing it to burn out one spark plug a month, otherwise I loved the drive and the quietness as compared to the other cars on its class, and gave me a consistent 15km/l fuel consumption. The car had just one Achilles heel, which is the Easytronic gearbox actuator that would require replacement at every 100k or so.

I would've renewed its COE if not for the 10k plus parf rebate that I would have forgone.

The 2 things that you will need to take into account are:

1. Resale values are crap due to the general unfamiliarity and perception of the brand, so either buy brand new and drive to the end, or buy second hand cheap and sell cheap a few years on.

2. As someone pointed out above, as the car starts to become rarer in the later years of its COE, stockists in Singapore tend to not stock many parts or price them sky high. However as that car was fairly common in the UK (and in RHD), it was easy to find parts online and ship them in for a fraction of the part cost in Singapore, if you're up for that kind of thing.

If you can live with the above, I would say Opel is a value for money proposition. Also, it's easier to find your car in car park, and no need to ever worry about your car getting stolen up north (if the borders ever reopen...)

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

Twincharged
(edited)

Seriously? You buy crap so that it won’t get stolen?

it’s precisely that it shit that no one wants to steal it.  😂

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 4

Twincharged

You guys need to go around to 2nd hand dealers. Some cars they won’t even want to touch even if you sell to them at paper. They would still lose money by 

1. paper losses for each day that they take to sell.

2. Clog up their parking space. 
3. Tie up funds which could otherwise be used for buying other faster moving cars. 

2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

What logo? In the end it will be the general public who pays to buy these cars. If the people don’t buy why would the dealers renew?
It’s a vicious circle, less people buy means less mechanics know how to fix and less parts supply. If one wants to be unique then sure go ahead and keep an Opel and be stuck without a strong parts spare parts supply. Go with the flow for typical bread and butter daily transport and have minimal down time. a daily bread and butter transport should be just that. Gives you reliable service. If it’s the 2nd or 3rd car sure by all means you can afford some down time. 

@Mkl22 Yes, my point exactly because demand determines the cars to be renewed. One search and will find the BMW 5 series has around 320 COE-renewed posting on sgcarmart. Quite a lot, but doesn't necessarily mean is more reliable.

I think we have to differentiate reliability vs parts availability.

Yes, less road cars of the same brand on the road may caused parts supply to be lower.

But then again, that doesn't mean is less reliable. 

I could have my car going into the workshop every 6years and wait for parts for a week, while the other going in every 2 years and waiting for parts for a day or 2. 

I'm not sure what's your definition of reliability, but mine would be the former.

3 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Nowadays Korean cars are generally reliable too right?

Should be on par with or close to Jap models.?

Unlike 20 years ago i had a Korean car a Daewoo it was rubbish!

I have never own a Korean car before but would love to.  You see, 20 years ago the Daewoo was rubbish, but looking at the new Elantra one will see so much difference.

I think we need to keep an open mind. Using  20 years ago experience and putting it into modern context just wouldn't be right because companies do improve and there is a reason why they still can survive till this date.

Ultimately if test drive, feels good and price is affordable. Just go for it.

@CarGuy88  To me, the current Opel models are all into their end of production. At that price point the Skoda might be a better alternative. 

• Praise 8

Twincharged
4 hours ago, kelaihoyin said:

@Mkl22 Yes, my point exactly because demand determines the cars to be renewed. One search and will find the BMW 5 series has around 320 COE-renewed posting on sgcarmart. Quite a lot, but doesn't necessarily mean is more reliable.

I think we have to differentiate reliability vs parts availability.

Yes, less road cars of the same brand on the road may caused parts supply to be lower.

But then again, that doesn't mean is less reliable. 

I could have my car going into the workshop every 6years and wait for parts for a week, while the other going in every 2 years and waiting for parts for a day or 2. 

I'm not sure what's your definition of reliability, but mine would be the former.

I have never own a Korean car before but would love to.  You see, 20 years ago the Daewoo was rubbish, but looking at the new Elantra one will see so much difference.

I think we need to keep an open mind. Using  20 years ago experience and putting it into modern context just wouldn't be right because companies do improve and there is a reason why they still can survive till this date.

Ultimately if test drive, feels good and price is affordable. Just go for it.

@CarGuy88  To me, the current Opel models are all into their end of production. At that price point the Skoda might be a better alternative. 

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2018/08/24/psa-turnaround-of-gm-loss-maker-opel-vauxhall-eschews-pileem-high-sellem-cheap/amp/

$20B losses. 🤣

30 minutes ago, Shoebox said:

Opel if don't go back to Auto Germany, go where service? AG knife very sharp one you know.

CK 

• Praise 1

Ok my 2 cents. Go to Facebook join Opel group. Can see all feedbacks there. Im driving July 2017 astra stn wagon 1.0. U have to get use to the easytronic gearbox haha

Very big boot space with auto tailgate. Cheap toad tax. Parts wise can buy from local stockist. A few of them infact.

Go get preowned. 1st owner take the 1st hit liao haha. There is a 1.4 litre now on sale. Many poisons inside.

• Praise 1

i think the " best bet" for opel would be the older 1.4 turbo astra that had 6 speed auto gearbox, hearsay its better than the current opel astra which is CVT transmission..

There was an opel astra thread here within MCF but not so active anymore.

For this budget safer bet would be getting skoda octavia 

11 hours ago, Soya said:

GM marry Frenchie........wow, dunno wat to say

one expects american muscle and french sexiness.. but get fat american and french worker temperament

• Haha! 3

They must be sprinkling some illegal stuff in the showroom coffee for people to be so hung up about a brand that has no prestige, heritage or ability. 

• Haha! 2

The problem with Opel is they lack a strong design identity which other conti makes have.

If u hide the opel brand, it could pass off as a kia or hyundai these days. 

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Blueray said:

for cars in SG, depre only got 3 types :

- bad

- badder

- badderest

if depre is a concern, buy a pre-owned Opel, should save quite a bit. 

Buy no scare, scare no buy.

Buy Opel because it's big and cheap, not because of any other reasons (can't see any other than heritage or etc, which ain't worth much if you're not interested in those)

At some point in time some Opels like the mokka could be going for attrage depre.

It's a definite yes for the Opel over the Mitsubishi, because how much worse can you get when your only other option is a 3 cylinder which vibrates like a sex toy non stop ?

Same goes for the Cruze. It's better than the Attrage except in fuel consumption.

1 hour ago, Macrosszero said:

They must be sprinkling some illegal stuff in the showroom coffee for people to be so hung up about a brand that has no prestige, heritage or ability. 

Sounds like VW's coffee spell 🤣

Time to buy a VW Jetta...erm no Skoda Octavia now!

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2