40 years ago China can’t even CKD a car, how did they overtake Proton and Perodua?

Contipro

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

no industry in the world can beat spore 

no need to make a single bolt or nut or car parts

and collect $3 billion revenue for "selling car" ... lol

not to mention day by day still collect car usage ... erp and bring to the next level of km by km run ... lol

Manufacturers bring cost down when more ppl use their product

Scholar charge more when more ppl use their product

If that's not the most brilliant plan business plan ever, I dunno what is....

Why Malaysia Proton fail to be global recognize automotive manufacturing ?

Never setup a organization under government care. 

Malaysia Doctor Mahathir direction is national car policy. Protect and protect using government funding (or i should said peoples money).

When proton run out of cash, no need to spend much effort already can suck money out from THE BANK (The Government). Proton teams work under "NO PRESSURE", that is justified to be a failure organization. 

versus

Korea President Park didn’t set out to build a national car, but a Korean car. The Korean flag was not pasted on any of the cars.

Manufacturing licenses and government loans given were tied to export targets. While the domestic manufacturers were protected from foreign competition, they still had to compete domestically.

Asia Motors couldn’t meet the target and President Park kept to his word and withdrew Asia Motors’ manufacturing license, and that was the end of the company, snapped up by Kia.

Very straight forward, fail is fail = suspend the license no more talking and begging. 

I not sure which other country have national car policy and under government care ? 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Contipro said:

Why Malaysia Proton fail to be global recognize automotive manufacturing ?

Never setup a organization under government care. 

Malaysia Doctor Mahathir direction is national car policy. Protect and protect using government funding (or i should said peoples money).

When proton run out of cash, no need to spend much effort already can suck money out from THE BANK (The Government). Proton teams work under "NO PRESSURE", that is justified to be a failure organization. 

versus

Korea President Park didn’t set out to build a national car, but a Korean car. The Korean flag was not pasted on any of the cars.

Manufacturing licenses and government loans given were tied to export targets. While the domestic manufacturers were protected from foreign competition, they still had to compete domestically.

Asia Motors couldn’t meet the target and President Park kept to his word and withdrew Asia Motors’ manufacturing license, and that was the end of the company, snapped up by Kia.

Very straight forward, fail is fail = suspend the license no more talking and begging. 

I not sure which other country have national car policy and under government care ? 

korean car maker has gone a long way [thumbsup] 

i still remember ... the 1st time when we saw Kia Picanto ... walao ... bash until the car will break into pieces ...

now Kia Stinger ... Kia Sorento ... Cerato ... all [thumbsup] .... must get Audi designer .... [laugh] 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Proton had 80% market share because they taxed the hell out of imported cars.

Then Proton sat back put their feet on their desk and said - I have arrived.

And then it went down hill all the way!

:D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

20 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

40 Years ago...all Major Car Mfg..said China..have no Market for their Cars...Now..China are their main Customer.

40 years ago, a US chip maker had a huge carpark but only had two cars and plenty of bicycles.

Having a car was frown upon as it brings out the green eye monster or in Singapore context, driving a better car than the boss syndrome.

They have since matured in terms of how they present themselves. Not so much for the singaporean unfortunately. 

• Haha! 1

The days of Chinese cars poorly put together should be over. I still remember stepping foot into Geely showroom to see the CK (not Calvin Klein 😉), touch abit here there, outta the showroom in no time. Went next CnC, Kah, Proton Sg, Perocom etc etc. There were more ppl in Proton n Perodua showrooms if we compare these as the "cheapest" car around then . 

Fast forward 10, 15 yrs now. Different game. Geely has 49 percent stake in Proton n bought Volvo, allowing Proton to rebadge their models. The vision & objectives of Proton has derailed definitely. Perodua is just another brand with JV with Toyota/Daihatsu to make car for the mass which is the main objective till today which they clearly claim which is perfectly OK for any business model. They are still rebadging Toyota models. Chinese car makers are aggressively out to gain any market share now with their own design & fr the technology they acquired fr buying into foreign car brands. I can't  count how many domestic Chinese car maker brands at all. 

I do wonder if Geely with a 49 percent stake in Proton gain some Mitsubishi technology as well? I m no engine geek & will still be happy even if I dun get the most updated Toyota "heart transplant" out of a Perodua, simply bcos to own a pc of personal transport in Sgp is still a heavy price. 

Will car models like Geely Boyue, which is the Proton X70 (CKD) or Geely Minyue which is the Proton X50 (CKD) touch our hearts t if they make an appearance? I m not sure myself but I will definitely take a look myself with the likes of a kid curiosity who never grows up. One thing for sure, the Boyue or X70 falls into the Cat B coe n how will it weighs itself? Do we see it as Boyue or X70, they are the same to me engineering wise, putting aside brand. Unless who puts them together matters so much to me. 

I m not sure if Chinese car makers are still cloning after remarkable brands today but some established brands we see today has belonged to Chinese car brands. 

The sheer huge domestic size of China has also given their country a huge amount of chips & potential to dump into EV development & now believed to be a leader in EV that lures established car makers to JV with Chinese car makers. 

So will one still feel less or more shame with a Chinese or Msia car brand in our local context with the technology advancement on our plates today? We are constantly reminded that we are still denied from some advanced safety features which are mandatory features in many countries even in bread butter models. We still pay big bucks for the least car with the lowest possible OMV. 

🙂

One major factor that I have not read about in all the opinions is the about 800 millions of the Chinese population have been lifted out of poverty. 

When I first visited Beijing in 1994, the streets were filled with cyclists and the basic goods conveyance were those pedal-powered three wheelers. Even courting couples cycled abreast holding hands! This scene has changed. Now you see more cars, motorbikes and electric scooters instead. 

In the long past, Chinese were not allowed to travel overseas. Now, you can see Chinese tourists any where in the world. Not only that, they are known for their high purchasing power.

So, if any products or manufacturers that can depend on the domestic markets (world's largest consumer market) the rising affluence of the Chinese people definitely is an important factor.

• Praise 3

11 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

One major factor that I have not read about in all the opinions is the about 800 millions of the Chinese population have been lifted out of poverty. 

When I first visited Beijing in 1994, the streets were filled with cyclists and the basic goods conveyance were those pedal-powered three wheelers. Even courting couples cycled abreast holding hands! This scene has changed. Now you see more cars, motorbikes and electric scooters instead. 

In the long past, Chinese were not allowed to travel overseas. Now, you can see Chinese tourists any where in the world. Not only that, they are known for their high purchasing power.

So, if any products or manufacturers that can depend on the domestic markets (world's largest consumer market) the rising affluence of the Chinese people definitely is an important factor.

for the past 5 years ... pre-Covid ... when i visited china 2nd tier even 3rd tier city ... the advancement is on par and surpass spore liao

1st tier city definitely surpass spore liao ... the social economics status is totally off the chart ... [sweatdrop] 

https://thebiggestcitiesinchina.com/tier-1-cities-in-china-definition-and-rankings/

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Proton had 80% market share because they taxed the hell out of imported cars.

Then Proton sat back put their feet on their desk and said - I have arrived.

And then it went down hill all the way!

Proton was the cronies ATM. As long as it spits out $$$, better dun meddle w it

After many years spitting out $$$ endlessly, that ATM machine finally spoil. So now they bring in china made ATM hoping it continues to spit out $$$ but have to share w PRC comrades 

Nowhere in that whole storyline has  anything to do w nationalism 

• Praise 3

how can we forget and then there was this... what visionaries!!!

and we are not talking about bomohs with coconuts.

LIMA-Aerodyne-Vector-MED-FB-1-630x356.jp

• Haha! 2

20 hours ago, Jamesc said:

For Proton sadly their ability does not match their ambition.

I thought recently years Proton makes good cars like the X50 and X70.?
Malaysian friends told me that many Malaysians prefer Perodua cars over Proton though.

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I thought recently years Proton makes good cars like the X50 and X70.?
Malaysian friends told me that many Malaysians prefer Perodua cars over Proton though.

Yes Perodua is Daihatsu with Toyota engines.

Very good cars.

• Praise 3

33 minutes ago, Vidz said:

how can we forget and then there was this... what visionaries!!!

and we are not talking about bomohs with coconuts.

LIMA-Aerodyne-Vector-MED-FB-1-630x356.jp

Four small desktop fans and a toy car?

My boy got a model space shuttle so Singapore is in the space race now too?

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 3

27 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Four small desktop fans and a toy car?

My boy got a model space shuttle so Singapore is in the space race now too?

Yes indeed we are.

Some examples:

Singapore’s foray into space: Boldly going where no little red dot has gone before;

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/singapore-foray-space-race-budding-industry-satellite-boldly-go-13254892

First Singapore satellite launched from the International Space Station;
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/first-singapore-satellite-launched-from-the-international-space-station

Singapore's homegrown satellite launches into Orbit;

https://www.trtworld.com/asia/singapore-s-homegrown-satellite-launches-into-orbit-24020

Our satellite the size of a shoe box?

Should have ask Jeff Bezos or Beardy Branson to tumpang and take up to space for us!

They were going up there anyway.

13 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Yes indeed we are.

Some examples:

Singapore’s foray into space: Boldly going where no little red dot has gone before;

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/singapore-foray-space-race-budding-industry-satellite-boldly-go-13254892

First Singapore satellite launched from the International Space Station;
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/first-singapore-satellite-launched-from-the-international-space-station

Singapore's homegrown satellite launches into Orbit;

https://www.trtworld.com/asia/singapore-s-homegrown-satellite-launches-into-orbit-24020

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:48 PM, Soya said:

None of u credit our scholars for Sg's own 'car industry'?

Started in 1990 only worth $1

31 years later worth $60,000

Beat that for ROI suckers 

and only work (really work) only every 2 wednesdays a month  and close shop by 4.30pm sharp 😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4