Is it easier to park a car with or without cars around you?

unicornfloof

So I recently passed my driver's license and have been parking in empty lots whenever I can (because it's easier for me). However, my friends have told me that they think it's much easier to park with cars on either side. I don't agree with them (mainly because I am scared that I will hit a car while reversing),  but I do wonder if that is the case for most drivers. Is it true that it is easier to park with cars around and if so, what are some tips in doing it properly? 😓

↡ Advertisement

17 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

So I recently passed my driver's license and have been parking in empty lots whenever I can (because it's easier for me). However, my friends have told me that they think it's much easier to park with cars on either side. I don't agree with them (mainly because I am scared that I will hit a car while reversing),  but I do wonder if that is the case for most drivers. Is it true that it is easier to park with cars around and if so, what are some tips in doing it properly? 😓

sama sama lah.... got cars may hit car, no cars may hit pillar, like the big green pillar on the picture, and look around see how many cars vans lorry got those vertical dent on the backside...:grin:

Parking may be easier with cars around, but the consequences of an error are harder to deal with. You decide which is easier, which is harder.

I prefer to park where there are no cars to avoid dings. The only times when I might need a bit of adjustment are when the lines are worn and difficult to see, but no biggie. 

Cue @RadXwith his cone-h jokes. Eh, let me do the diss-honours, I think every lot should have cones I can hit. 😂

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, RadX said:

So ur friends are the culprits 😂😂

4DF3241A-9745-4D78-80F7-B7C4871C5C1A.jpeg

848769A0-8027-4193-9A77-9FA6991C59E0.jpeg

The first driver thinks it is easier to park without cars, the second driver thinks it is easier to park with  cars beside him.  And I thought the first car should be a blue GLC coupe but I am wrong upon zooming in 😄😄😄

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 1

If empty lots, take out the 4 poles from the trunk and place them at each corner of the lot..... That's how I learned. 😅

Sorry - different era!

• Haha! 5

Just now, Volvobrick said:

If empty lots, take out the 4 poles from the trunk and place them at each corner of the lot..... That's how I learned. 😅

Sorry - different era!

use hand signal bo

• Haha! 2

6 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

The first driver thinks it is easier to park without cars, the second driver thinks it is easier to park with  cars beside him.  And I thought the first car should be a blue GLC coupe but I am wrong upon zooming in 😄😄😄

this was pre pre GLC

• Praise 2

39 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

I personally think it is easier to park without cars beside, and if one screwed his judgement , at least he is out of position without hitting another car😀. And since you are new, please park without cars beside you first until you are familiar with parking .

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Just now, Ct3833 said:

I personally think it is easier to park without cars beside, and if one screwed his judgement , at least he is out of position without hitting another car😀. And since you are new, please park without cars beside you first until you are familiar with parking .

in any case, the auto-parking feature, needs cars as well before it can 'park'

• Praise 2

Park with cars around maybe more easier to gauge for the car to reverse in? Without car some driver might not able to the marking on the floor, and ended up car cannot park straight into the lot? But new driver park with cars around confirmed would feel stressful, cause dont know which way to turn the steering to reverse into the lor without hitting the cars? Lol.

Also the size and length of the car can be also one of the factor if it is easy to park a car. If driving a hatch car, surely much more easier to park than a sedan or large size car, esp in a tight carpark and parking lot.

13 minutes ago, RadX said:

in any case, the auto-parking feature, needs cars as well before it can 'park'

This is new news to me, my lao pok car is automatically manual park😅, you mean if there  is no cars around, it could not park into an empty lot with the lines on the floor ?

I prefer empty lots.

but dunno why sometimes when I return I see a cluster of cars around my car even though there are still plenty of lots around. must be moi jin hamsum. 😎

• Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

This is new news to me, my lao pok car is automatically manual park😅, you mean if there  is no cars around, it could not park into an empty lot with the lines on the floor ?

yes, as it cannot gauge distance....maybe newer ones can detect the line markings

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Park with cars around maybe more easier to gauge for the car to reverse in? Without car some driver might not able to the marking on the floor, and ended up car cannot park straight into the lot? But new driver park with cars around confirmed would feel stressful, cause dont know which way to turn the steering to reverse into the lor without hitting the cars? Lol.

Also the size and length of the car can be also one of the factor if it is easy to park a car. If driving a hatch car, surely much more easier to park than a sedan or large size car, esp in a tight carpark and parking lot.

@Jamesc will offer his MIL as the parking pole for new drivers

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3