Is it easier to park a car with or without cars around you?

unicornfloof

11 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

try parallel parking on a downslope with a MT car. I've tried once. No fun. :TT_TT:

Actually parallel park on a slope with a MT is easier than AT.  With MT, one can control cluch and accelerator  a lot more precisely than the AT equivalent. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

With or without car, no diff for me in term of parking time. Got car(s) can use them as a guide, no car can just reverse in faster and make adjustment using the lines.

Parallel parking wise, I mastered the skill and speed at one of my workplace many years back (limited parking lots and usually only parallel lots left when I return from external meetings). Except for those very tight lots (shorter than the legal requirement of 5.4m), I usually can complete in a single attempt. The one below took me 2 forward and reverse to get out of the lot, no thanks to the kockanathan driver in front.

0hKh1dI.jpg

And the most satisfying parallel parking experience for me was in front of this million $$$ RR. [:)]

SGIez7q.jpg

• Praise 10
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Actually parallel park on a slope with a MT is easier than AT.  With MT, one can control cluch and accelerator  a lot more precisely than the AT equivalent. 

Eh nope for me. AT u just need to engage reverse gear give a little gas and control with the brake pedal. The auto hold assist helps alot. For MT on a downslope, it's half clutch all the way during reverse. When want to move forward, is hand brake, disengage clutch, step on brake, engage neutral, let go brake and let gravity does it job to move forward. And half clutch reversing is different from moving forward. Bite point and gas position is different. If not used to it, it is scary as any error may cause the car surge backwards or engine stall (which is very embarrassing). Lol.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

With or without car, no diff for me in term of parking time. Got car(s) can use them as a guide, no car can just reverse in faster and make adjustment using the lines.

Parallel parking wise, I mastered the skill and speed at one of my workplace many years back (limited parking lots and usually only parallel lots left when I return from external meetings). Except for those very tight lots (shorter than the legal requirement of 5.4m), I usually can complete in a single attempt. The one below took me 2 forward and reverse to get out of the lot, no thanks to the kockanathan driver in front.

And the most satisfying parallel parking experience for me was in front of this million $$$ RR. [:)]

SGIez7q.jpg

How is he able to fit the car into the lot when his car is about 1m longer than your sharan ?  Rolls royce is about 5.6m ?

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

12 hours ago, Lala81 said:

wah lao. don't damage young man's pride lah.

At least he's careful. Not reckless driving. lol

One time while driving my colleagues out to lunch I encountered an auntie who took many tries to reverse her little hatch into the lot. I was cursing and swearing inside the car saying something like "car so small still cannot go in".

Then when the auntie managed to go in she waved at me thanking her for my patience. I smiled and wave back. My colleagues say I hypocrite. 🤣

Edited by Stratovarius
  • Haha! 6

6 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Eh nope for me. AT u just need to engage reverse gear give a little gas and control with the brake pedal. The auto hold assist helps alot. For MT on a downslope, it's half clutch all the way during reverse. When want to move forward, is hand brake, disengage clutch, step on brake, engage neutral, let go brake and let gravity does it job to move forward. And half clutch reversing is different from moving forward. Bite point and gas position is different. If not used to it, it is scary as any error may cause the car surge backwards or engine stall (which is very embarrassing). Lol.

I  agree with you that the hill assist  helps. But I was so use to my MT last  time that i could use half clutch to hold  my car on a slope without stepping on the accelerator for a while,  And the MT coltrol can be quite precise. For AT, i really dont know when the car will move on a slop,  step too little it does not move,  step too much afraid that the car may move too much too quickly.

• Praise 2

23 hours ago, 13177 said:

Sometimes it is not about the length of the car but the size of the car. Some cars the width looks like bigger, and if you are not used to driving such car, might have problem in those tight carpark. Even driving sedan like altis/civic etc, when trying to park into a tight lot can have a little problem for some people. Lol.

When I was in NS i find parking 3/5/7 tonner easier than parking Landrover... coz ur position further forward and higher over the turning front wheel somehow made it easier. Same thing GP car was for me the hardest coz so low to ground...

But basically experience overcomes everything

Some people park by seeing line, some people park by seeing car coz their mirror never angle to see the line properly 🤣 my dad till the day he died always had to open his car door to see whether his parking straight...

• Haha! 3

On 8/3/2021 at 10:20 AM, unicornfloof said:

So I recently passed my driver's license and have been parking in empty lots whenever I can (because it's easier for me). However, my friends have told me that they think it's much easier to park with cars on either side. I don't agree with them (mainly because I am scared that I will hit a car while reversing),  but I do wonder if that is the case for most drivers. Is it true that it is easier to park with cars around and if so, what are some tips in doing it properly? 😓

Do you practice the perpendicular parking method as taught by instructors? After I got my license, I realised it was easier for me to ignore that and reverse from an angle instead. Or you could try looking for corner lots with pillar (I prefer corner lots, less chances of parking accidents). I have no reverse camera and I just wind down my window and stick my head out to see my alignment (mind your head (not good to lose it) and watch out for your side mirrors though).

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by Levinx
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Levinx said:

Do you practice the perpendicular parking method as taught by instructors? After I got my license, I realised it was easier for me to ignore that and reverse from an angle instead. Or you could try looking for corner lots with pillar (I prefer corner lots, less chances of parking accidents). I have no reverse camera and I just wind down my window and stick my head out to see my alignment (mind your head (not good to lose it) and watch out for your side mirrors though).

Untitled-2.jpg

always at an angle for me.

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Levinx said:

Untitled-2.jpg

What instructor????

Just do whatever makes sense. Perpendicular when no choice like when waiting for opposite traffic to clear.  Otherwise swing out to the opposite side and reverse in.  It is only logical.

13 minutes ago, Levinx said:

Untitled-2.jpg

Always at an angle except parallel parking, better reverse entry angle and reduce stationary scrubbing of tyres. 

And also prevent those KNN ones who may attempt squeeze past you while you are maneuvering into the lot 😬

• Haha! 1

Ah yes... Parallel. My car is small but I still cannot execute it properly even after watching videos. Rather than waste 10 minutes of their time and bring shame to my entire family and the make and model of my car, I would rather park further away.

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 5

11 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

One time while driving my colleagues out to lunch I encountered an auntie who took many tries to reverse her little hatch into the lot. I was cursing and swearing inside the car saying something like "car so small still cannot go in".

Then when the auntie managed to go in she waved at me thanking her for my patience. I smiled and wave back. My colleagues say I hypocrite. 🤣

There are also some drivers who cannot just reverse in and let waiting cars to pass first before adjusting their alignment. They die die have to keep half their car out and adjust and adjust and adjust.

6 hours ago, Levinx said:

Ah yes... Parallel. My car is small but I still cannot execute it properly even after watching videos. Rather than waste 10 minutes of their time and bring shame to my entire family and the make and model of my car, I would rather park further away.

Maybe u din full lock in both directions when u steer into the lot?

@Carbon82 

Bro, the blue car in front is self explanatory. Look at the passenger window and the answer is clear, or not clear. Pun intended. 

Went to eat prawn mee huh.. 🤓

• Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

0hKh1dI.jpg

SGIez7q.jpg

Same car? But how come rims different le? 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1