Is it easier to park a car with or without cars around you?

unicornfloof

Means not chio lady 

:D

32 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

i would like to rant again.

those who need a car beside them to park, cannot park for nuts.

Like the cannot make it woman who parked next to me at Kallang Leisure park when i was some distance from the entrance, and there were literally tens to hundreds of other lots available 🤬

• Haha! 3

If refer to ease of parking, i can park better if there are cars beside. Normally one time in and no need to readjust as the cars beside you will serve as good left and right markers. Sometimes, especially in those open space carparks the lot markers are faded or covered by grass. So it is easier to park with cars beside. At least for me.

If refer to preference, think most of us prefer empty lots beside us. After park door can open big big. But empty lots don't remain empty forever unless its those hdb mscp where the top floor regulars have their own "personal" lot with no cars beside.

But then you can't avoid parking if you are driving. What i did last time to improve my parking when i first got my first car is to do it very late at night. Drive to the top storey of a mscp and look for a single car parking in an empty space. Then practice reversing your car beside it within the adjacent lot. i also used the slopes to practice holding the car with the half clutch method. It's just alot less stressful doing late at night. Just make sure to look out for cars coming up. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

I park empty floor where no car not because I scared hit other cars but scared other cars bang me or open door and bang me.

But some idiot will park right next to me.

:D

As a saga once said: The exterior of a car doesn't really belong to you.🙄😅

My cars have been hit multiple times by other peope in adjacent parking lots opening the doors.

Generally the culprits are the passengers.

Many pax opened doors with a no care altitude. ://

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Like the cannot make it woman who parked next to me at Kallang Leisure park when i was some distance from the entrance, and there were literally tens to hundreds of other lots available 🤬

Thats why the car parked besides your car even there are tons of empty lots around. Lol. This is very common de.

Supercharged
3 hours ago, unicornfloof said:

So I recently passed my driver's license and have been parking in empty lots whenever I can (because it's easier for me). However, my friends have told me that they think it's much easier to park with cars on either side. I don't agree with them (mainly because I am scared that I will hit a car while reversing),  but I do wonder if that is the case for most drivers. Is it true that it is easier to park with cars around and if so, what are some tips in doing it properly? 😓

I don't care empty lot or got car beside. My priority is the lot next to pillar so that one side has no car beside me.

Our car park lots are quite easy.  The hard ones are the mechanical parking lot. The width of the lot is only a tiny fraction wider than the car.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Did the Mitsubishi hit onto the parked BMW??[rolleyes]

Seemed a close shave but I don't see the BMW shaking or vibrating.

Might be there still a 3mm gap...:D

i watched this and i think it probably made a scratch HAHAHAH

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Parking may be easier with cars around, but the consequences of an error are harder to deal with. You decide which is easier, which is harder.

I prefer to park where there are no cars to avoid dings. The only times when I might need a bit of adjustment are when the lines are worn and difficult to see, but no biggie. 

Cue @RadXwith his cone-h jokes. Eh, let me do the diss-honours, I think every lot should have cones I can hit. 😂

yes, me too!! 😁 i prefer areas with no vehicles but i do get stressed when there are vehicles beside me. my friends' reasoning for parking beside vehicles is because there is a lesser chance of other people dinging your car (since you're the last one there) but that doesn't make sense because the car could still be dinged when people are moving out. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

thank you sir, i will be using this to back up my argument the next time i see my friends

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, unicornfloof said:

yes, me too!! 😁 i prefer areas with no vehicles but i do get stressed when there are vehicles beside me. my friends' reasoning for parking beside vehicles is because there is a lesser chance of other people dinging your car (since you're the last one there) but that doesn't make sense because the car could still be dinged when people are moving out. 

Most passenger car drivers are careful.
Goods vehicles less so.
And passengers opening doors carelessly or recklessly are the worst.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Goods vehicles less so.

omg yess i agree! i hate it when i see people alighting from cars (especially kids who dont know any better) and not giving a damn when they swing open the door 😠 it hurts me to hear that ding when the door hits the car beside it

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

If refer to ease of parking, i can park better if there are cars beside. Normally one time in and no need to readjust as the cars beside you will serve as good left and right markers. Sometimes, especially in those open space carparks the lot markers are faded or covered by grass. So it is easier to park with cars beside. At least for me.

If refer to preference, think most of us prefer empty lots beside us. After park door can open big big. But empty lots don't remain empty forever unless its those hdb mscp where the top floor regulars have their own "personal" lot with no cars beside.

But then you can't avoid parking if you are driving. What i did last time to improve my parking when i first got my first car is to do it very late at night. Drive to the top storey of a mscp and look for a single car parking in an empty space. Then practice reversing your car beside it within the adjacent lot. i also used the slopes to practice holding the car with the half clutch method. It's just alot less stressful doing late at night. Just make sure to look out for cars coming up. 

not sure if i replied to this yet but thank you for the tips! i've been practicing my parking late at night too (in an empty floor of my mscp carpark) but i realised it is much harder to visualise the lines of the parking spot (because it's faded) and i end up not entering the correct lot 😞 i've done everything from tilting my windows down and sticking my head out but i think i'm not used to driving a family car 

• Praise 1

It's always harder to park purely with lines. Sometimes I also significantly miss due to sometimes see wrong lines when reversing. But parallel parking with cars is the hardest especially if u are driving a longer car. 

If u drive a fit/jazz, every parking situation is an easy one... 

Not sure if anyone experiences this. The weirdest feeling is when u are reversing into a lot and the car beside u (which u are using for reference) is moving off also. U get this sense of the world is moving for a few seconds. Its very common for school runs drop-off points in hdb carparks.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 5

8 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Goods vehicles less so.

This why most often the dents and dings on your car door often is found on rear passenger doors. Many passengers simply just swing open the door hard and wide.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

It's always harder to park purely with lines. Sometimes I also significantly miss due to sometimes see wrong lines when reversing. But parallel parking with cars is the hardest especially if u are driving a longer car. 

omg yess, the bbdc cars (honda jazz) were a breeze to park with. unfortunately, my dad's car is a toyota wish and it is way bigger than the jazz, which is why i'm having trouble when it comes to parking it. 😞 i wouldn't even try parallel parking rn because of how long his car is hahaha

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Long car or even sedan car not easy to parallel park. The person must parallel park very often if drive a long car in order able to park the car into the lot. If seldom parallel park, not easy la, Esp with cars and tight lot. 

6 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

omg yess, the bbdc cars (honda jazz) were a breeze to park with. unfortunately, my dad's car is a toyota wish and it is way bigger than the jazz, which is why i'm having trouble when it comes to parking it. 😞 i wouldn't even try parallel parking rn because of how long his car is hahaha

You will get used to it. My friend wanted to change to suv when his kid arrives. But his wife is like a newbie driver. I advised don't give a new driver too wide or big a car, unnecessary stress.

I saw a young man trying to park his family old rx300 at my parents carpark. It was a torture. The time he took, I could have parked ten cars. 

Wish isn't too bad. But yeah definitely longer than a city. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

10 minutes ago, unicornfloof said:

not sure if i replied to this yet but thank you for the tips! i've been practicing my parking late at night too (in an empty floor of my mscp carpark) but i realised it is much harder to visualise the lines of the parking spot (because it's faded) and i end up not entering the correct lot 😞 i've done everything from tilting my windows down and sticking my head out but i think i'm not used to driving a family car 

No worry.

With enough practice, your parking will at least be closer and closer to perfect.
After enough practice at MSCP and you are more confident, can go try practice parallel parking along those lanes with parallel lots.

Edited by DOBIEMKZ
↡ Advertisement