Is it easier to park a car with or without cars around you?

unicornfloof

15 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Not sure if anyone experiences this. The weirdest feeling is when u are reversing into a lot and the car beside u (which u are using for reference) is moving off also. U get this sense of the world is moving for a few seconds. Its very common for school runs drop-off points in hdb carparks.

Yes, and you slam on your brake very hard but you realize that your car continue to move backward 😅😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

12 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

I park better with cars around as my mirrors all positioned for driving, and I never adjust them. So I cannot see the lines with ease unless I straighten out my car reasonably parallel to the lines. So means I tend to need to make more adjustments when the lots are empty. But no biggie.

Yeah sounds ironic. 

Get one with a side mirror would tilt down when you engage into reverse gear, it is quite useful.

58 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Yes, and you slam on your brake very hard but you realize that your car continue to move backward 😅😅

Hahaha ya quite scary, feels like you are falling down the bed sensation. 

• Haha! 3

56 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Get one with a side mirror would tilt down when you engage into reverse gear, it is quite useful.

Nvm lah, car next year scrap liao. Its not causing me safety issue also. 

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Lala81 said:

You will get used to it. My friend wanted to change to suv when his kid arrives. But his wife is like a newbie driver. I advised don't give a new driver too wide or big a car, unnecessary stress.

I saw a young man trying to park his family old rx300 at my parents carpark. It was a torture. The time he took, I could have parked ten cars. 

Wish isn't too bad. But yeah definitely longer than a city. 

You should have offer help to that young man and help him park his RX300? Lol. For some MPV, actually the length of the car is about the same as some sedan car. Last time my colleague drove altis and changed to Stream, he said the length is the same, so not much problem on parking.

I thought some old aunty or uncle eyesight not good. But saw the P plate. Rx300 is a mid sized suv lah. Haha definitely bigger than what he passed his driving test in. Maybe his first drive post driving test pass! His family inside. Haha more stress. 

RX300 is mid size SUV? I find RX looks big, unless it is NX than smaller.

It's always harder to park purely with lines. Sometimes I also significantly miss due to sometimes see wrong lines when reversing. But parallel parking with cars is the hardest especially if u are driving a longer car. 

try parallel parking on a downslope with a MT car. I've tried once. No fun. :TT_TT:

• Haha! 3

15 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Despite driving daily close to 2 years (after getting her license), my wife had a problem parking BMW 5 series.

The ole 5 series length is less than 4.8m.

Not a good idea to change to SUV.

Sometimes it is not about the length of the car but the size of the car. Some cars the width looks like bigger, and if you are not used to driving such car, might have problem in those tight carpark. Even driving sedan like altis/civic etc, when trying to park into a tight lot can have a little problem for some people. Lol.

14 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

I park better with cars around as my mirrors all positioned for driving, and I never adjust them. So I cannot see the lines with ease unless I straighten out my car reasonably parallel to the lines. So means I tend to need to make more adjustments when the lots are empty. But no biggie.

Yeah sounds ironic. 

Open the door or wind the window and stretch your head out to see the lines?

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Sometimes it is not about the length of the car but the size of the car. Some cars the width looks like bigger, and if you are not used to driving such car, might have problem in those tight carpark. Even driving sedan like altis/civic etc, when trying to park into a tight lot can have a little problem for some people. Lol.

She drives the same car daily. 

Parking in the same car park daily.

Good ole BMW 5 series is no larger than Nowadays Corolla

Length: 4,775mm (BMW) vs 4,630mm

Width: 1,800mm (BMW) vs 1,780mm

She dented the car twice in the same car park within that 4.5 years of ownership.

• Haha! 2

17 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Not sure if anyone experiences this. The weirdest feeling is when u are reversing into a lot and the car beside u (which u are using for reference) is moving off also. U get this sense of the world is moving for a few seconds. Its very common for school runs drop-off points in hdb carparks.

I do get giddy when such thing happen. Even when stopped at traffic lights, when the car besides me suddenly move a bit but the traffic lights still red, i also would get the sense of the world is moving for a spilt second.

19 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

try parallel parking on a downslope with a MT car. I've tried once. No fun. :TT_TT:

Parallel park on a slope already not easy and fun even for an auto car.

29 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Open the door or wind the window and stretch your head out to see the lines?

Dun wan lah wait blur blur got poorly designed column location or step a bit wrong pedal the door gone or head sheared off. 

Its just sometimes made me look like a noob that's all 😬

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

You should have offer help to that young man and help him park his RX300? Lol. For some MPV, actually the length of the car is about the same as some sedan car. Last time my colleague drove altis and changed to Stream, he said the length is the same, so not much problem on parking.

wah lao. don't damage young man's pride lah.

At least he's careful. Not reckless driving. lol

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

47 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

wah lao. don't damage young man's pride lah.

At least he's careful. Not reckless driving. lol

Maybe he never hold up the traffic when he tried to park his car many times. Lol. If it is a busy carpark or those parallel parking along road, if you take too long to park your car in, it would create a long long wait of cars behind. Then someone would have to offer help liao?! 😅

I prefer to park beside cars.  Usually one time park nicely. 

Those empty lots without cars need to see the line. Usually have to reverse another time. 

3 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

Nvm lah, car next year scrap liao. Its not causing me safety issue also. 

Make sure your new car have this feature 😀

Supercharged
On 8/3/2021 at 10:20 AM, unicornfloof said:

So I recently passed my driver's license and have been parking in empty lots whenever I can (because it's easier for me). However, my friends have told me that they think it's much easier to park with cars on either side. I don't agree with them (mainly because I am scared that I will hit a car while reversing),  but I do wonder if that is the case for most drivers. Is it true that it is easier to park with cars around and if so, what are some tips in doing it properly? 😓

I use this extra mirror when reversing into a parking lot. It also helps me avoid curb rash. Maybe your friends can consider using this too.

73906087.cms

https://www.lazada.sg/products/car-styling-blind-spot-mirror-auto-motorcycle-car-rear-view-mirror-extra-wide-angle-adjustable-rearview-mirror-2pcs-i1799621753-s9477400732.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.52.3ee316a4VwrkZI&search=1

Edited by Didu
↡ Advertisement