Thoughts on the BYD e6?

thatJDMahboy

9 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

@Ishiwgao Thank you for your interesting insights and opinion on the BYD e6. If like what you said about it being a fleet car is true, I wonder why would they bother rolling out its cars to the consumer market?

Mmmm I feel a huge plus point about driving an EV is the added comfort and driving experience one gets from driving a conventional ICE vehicle. So, this car would certainly be an unlikely purchase decision for me🤭

Maybe there is a bit of confusion when i used the word "fleet". fleet doesn't only mean taxi but ride sharing and private hire (Didi, Uber, or Grab for us in Singapore) too, that's why consumers are able to buy.

BYD has 2 series of cars:

1. e series cars that are mainly for fleets - e1, e2, e3, e4, e5, e6
  2. Dynasty series cars that are for consumers - Yuan, Qin, Han, Tang
  3. D series which is really for taxi only

If you go take a look at their dynasty series cars, the interior and exterior looks quite stunning in pictures (I haven't seen one in person), and their performance like acceleration and range is also great. A good guess is that their Dynasty series are just built on the same drivetrain platform as their e series cars, but with an upgraded interior/exterior and infotainment to cater to consumers.

I think they're only building LHD versions now and recently started exporting to Europe. If they start building RHD versions and exporting to Singapore, then that might have a possibility of being the mainstream car. 

Go check out the video below to get a quick overview of BYD cars.

Edited by Ishiwgao
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Internal Moderator
10 hours ago, thatJDMahboy said:

@kobayashiGT Except that the Sienta has a sliding door, which is a double edged sword. Some consumers prefer a sliding door, and considers it to be the unique selling point of a car. Whereas, others shun from it as they feel the additional mechanism will be prone to wear and tear.

I am curious to see what will BYD’s next generation of cars be like😅

I personally like the sliding door. Last time my father's van we own for 20 years, slide for 20 years, still okay leh.

Gotta have some trust in Toyota. 😁

• Haha! 2

Looking at China domestic car reviews.

BYD make quality cars, the interior fittings can compare with Conti cars.

Go and download tiktok CN version and watch their car review. Pretty impressive

I am not sure of their exported cars though

Edited by Goldenvodka

5 hours ago, Ishiwgao said:

Maybe there is a bit of confusion when i used the word "fleet". fleet doesn't only mean taxi but ride sharing and private hire (Didi, Uber, or Grab for us in Singapore) too, that's why consumers are able to buy.

BYD has 2 series of cars:

1. e series cars that are mainly for fleets - e1, e2, e3, e4, e5, e6
  2. Dynasty series cars that are for consumers - Yuan, Qin, Han, Tang
  3. D series which is really for taxi only

If you go take a look at their dynasty series cars, the interior and exterior looks quite stunning in pictures (I haven't seen one in person), and their performance like acceleration and range is also great. A good guess is that their Dynasty series are just built on the same drivetrain platform as their e series cars, but with an upgraded interior/exterior and infotainment to cater to consumers.

I think they're only building LHD versions now and recently started exporting to Europe. If they start building RHD versions and exporting to Singapore, then that might have a possibility of being the mainstream car. 

Go check out the video below to get a quick overview of BYD cars.

Oh wow. The dynasty series cars looks REALLY GOOD, I am pretty impressed with it. Hopefully it enters our SG market in the near future, after building the RHD versions🤭 And yes, I also feel it has the potential to become a “mainstream” car in SG if the price point is right.

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I personally like the sliding door. Last time my father's van we own for 20 years, slide for 20 years, still okay leh.

Gotta have some trust in Toyota. 😁

After all, Toyota is known for its reliability right?🤣

4 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

The initial few Toyota/Lexus EVs on TNGA-E platform to be released in 2022 are apparently going to be using the BYD blade batteries.

BYD was listed as their key EV development partner for this series.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35083987.html

The fact that Toyota/Lexus selected BYD as their key EV development partner really demonstrates its potential as a major player in the EV industry👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

Looking at China domestic car reviews.

BYD make quality cars, the interior fittings can compare with Conti cars.

Go and download tiktok CN version and watch their car review. Pretty impressive

I am not sure of their exported cars though

Yup, their interior really looks similar to continental cars - its really impressive. And yes, I am also unsure on the quality of their exported cars as there may be a slight decline in their quality standard (you never know)

Supercharged
16 hours ago, Tohto said:

I am a supporter for BYD for a few months already.... Thanks to Covid 🤣

Ya. Their white masks are better than the blue ones 😀

• Praise 1

NIO offers battery rental instead of purchase...another revenue source? 

Read it somewhere that EV manufacturers are also looking into pitstop style of battery swop service for those with limited charging facility...

The ecosystem for the EV market is still evolving...but this bandwagon is not slowing down...

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, mersaylee said:

Read it somewhere that EV manufacturers are also looking into pitstop style of battery swop service for those with limited charging facility...

The ecosystem for the EV market is still evolving...but this bandwagon is not slowing down...

The car is sold without Battery.

Car owners can do charging or battery swap.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
8 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I won't want a battery that can be swapped. So many moving parts, later never connect properly due to human error, car spoilt or kaboomz, then mati liao.

So EV best is still sit down guai guai and charge lah. hahah.

• Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I won't want a battery that can be swapped. So many moving parts, later never connect properly due to human error, car spoilt or kaboomz, then mati liao.

So EV best is still sit down guai guai and charge lah. hahah.

The swap is done by robotic arm

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

The swap is done by robotic arm

Then per swap will be expensive, I will still pull the wire myself and shaft it inside my car on my own. hahaha. Not everyday you can shaft something inside a thing one. So cherish it mah. hahahaha.

• Haha! 2

42 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Then per swap will be expensive, I will still pull the wire myself and shaft it inside my car on my own. hahaha. Not everyday you can shaft something inside a thing one. So cherish it mah. hahahaha.

I don't think NIo is charging owners for battery swap now.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, inlinesix said:

The car is sold without Battery.

Car owners can do charging or battery swap.

To be precise, the car can be sold with or without the battery. If you buy it with the battery, over the long term you will pay less.

But without the battery is more advantages. The initial downpayment is obviously much cheaper, and even though you have to pay a monthly rental fee, you pay according to what type of battery you use.

For customers, this is a huge advantage. I can pay less when i use it on a daily basis since i only need small battery. When I need to travel far or go road trip, i can swap to a bigger battery, pay more for that period (1 month maybe), then go back to swapping back to my small battery and pay less.

No range anxiety, no need to think so much when I buy the EV, and i pay according to how i want to use the car.

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Yea as inlinesix said in the reply to you later, the swapping charge is part of the battery rental fee. Some additional points to add is that they have recently rolled out their Gen2 swapping station. It has fixed many of the issues faced previously, with faster swapping times and more precision (last time they need a person to standby and operate the swapping station).

Btw Nio's swapping station isn't Nio's per se, it's actually technology from another company called Aulton New Energy (奥动). SAIC (上海汽车), one of China's biggest automaker, has also started to roll out battery swapping stations use Aulton's technology. I should think that Nio's cars and SAIC cars can use each other's swapping station, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, main point is that each company is building on each other, and I wouldn't be surprised that eventually this will just become a standard in China when so many people starts using it.

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator
20 minutes ago, Ishiwgao said:

To be precise, the car can be sold with or without the battery. If you buy it with the battery, over the long term you will pay less.

But without the battery is more advantages. The initial downpayment is obviously much cheaper, and even though you have to pay a monthly rental fee, you pay according to what type of battery you use.

For customers, this is a huge advantage. I can pay less when i use it on a daily basis since i only need small battery. When I need to travel far or go road trip, i can swap to a bigger battery, pay more for that period (1 month maybe), then go back to swapping back to my small battery and pay less.

No range anxiety, no need to think so much when I buy the EV, and i pay according to how i want to use the car.

Yea as inlinesix said in the reply to you later, the swapping charge is part of the battery rental fee. Some additional points to add is that they have recently rolled out their Gen2 swapping station. It has fixed many of the issues faced previously, with faster swapping times and more precision (last time they need a person to standby and operate the swapping station).

Btw Nio's swapping station isn't Nio's per se, it's actually technology from another company called Aulton New Energy (奥动). SAIC (上海汽车), one of China's biggest automaker, has also started to roll out battery swapping stations use Aulton's technology. I should think that Nio's cars and SAIC cars can use each other's swapping station, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, main point is that each company is building on each other, and I wouldn't be surprised that eventually this will just become a standard in China when so many people starts using it.

Good to know! I learn smth new today! thanks! 🙂

But also provided China no flood lah. hahaha. One flooding all the car gone case liao.

Supercharged

Last time my old cellphone also can swap its battery. I had a pair of them to inter-change and kept my phone up and running with minimal down time. Nothing wrong with that concept. Only the phone shops doing less business with battery replacement for customers.

↡ Advertisement