Ford Doing BTO, KYM?

Carbon82

No no no, Ford is not going to build our HDB, but adopting the Build-to-order business model. :relief:

BTW, KYM stands for Ke Yi Ma (coined by EDMW?), not Kuan Yin Mah hor... :XD:

Ford Wants To Move Away From Dealer Stock And Toward Build To Order

4680d0f3cb77a4630206825691a0c4c2.jpg

The ongoing pandemic and an unprecedented chip shortage have created a terrible car market right now. Unlike before, where you could walk onto a lot at any time and find over 100 cars with three other back lots with hundreds more cars, inventory is tight and dealers are greedy. The pandemic forced an industry to adapt quickly to customers wary of visiting a showroom with a potentially deadly virus going around. Ford is trying to read the room and as Car and Driver noted, wants more buyers to custom order their vehicles rather than choose from dealer stock.

The move comes amid long wait times and delays for buyers and their vehicles. Speaking on a conference call last week, CEO Jim Farley noted that he wants to keep dealer inventory low while simultaneously moving to an order based system:

“We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days’ supply.”

Speaking to Reuters, Farley also admitted that building too many cars hurts them. Throwing cash on the hood, aka incentives, to move vehicles that have been sitting has always been a win for customers. But it hurts the company’s bottom line with Farley saying “I know we are wasting money on incentives. I don’t know where.”

Ford has started to move toward that car buying future, introducing services like Ford Express Buy. But dealers have the option to participate in it. See the problem? Ford wants to move in the right direction, but dealers have the option to participate. And, right now, the service is available at select dealers and only on the Mach-E.

Will other auto manufacturers follow suit? Even if they don't follow the same business model but cutting production volume while raising sales price (so that their P&L are not affected), buyer like us will still be impacted, especially after taking into consideration of the high vehicle taxes we have been paying...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 6

So Ford has been building cars without a sales forecast? If u have tons of cars sitting unsold means forecast is wrong. I think bto will not work for bnb cars or for their best selling f150. 

• Haha! 1

I kinda think Ford very often stereotype themselves. Which car company only sells pickup trucks? You can imagine what kinda guys fill the board meeting room and most likely there's no woman in the board. Maybe one kind of race exist as well. Who else is into pickup trucks(for the US market)?

Now they come up with build to order scheme? I think only Ford fans in US will bother. Dont you think they are being over-confident?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Who is this young lady Ms Ma and if she is really Ke Yi any photos?

:D

I think for you, KYM means Know Your MIL !🤣🤣🤣

• Haha! 5

10 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

No no no, Ford is not going to build our HDB, but adopting the Build-to-order business model. :relief:

BTW, KYM stands for Ke Yi Ma (coined by EDMW?), not Kuan Yin Mah hor... :XD:

Ford Wants To Move Away From Dealer Stock And Toward Build To Order

4680d0f3cb77a4630206825691a0c4c2.jpg

The ongoing pandemic and an unprecedented chip shortage have created a terrible car market right now. Unlike before, where you could walk onto a lot at any time and find over 100 cars with three other back lots with hundreds more cars, inventory is tight and dealers are greedy. The pandemic forced an industry to adapt quickly to customers wary of visiting a showroom with a potentially deadly virus going around. Ford is trying to read the room and as Car and Driver noted, wants more buyers to custom order their vehicles rather than choose from dealer stock.

The move comes amid long wait times and delays for buyers and their vehicles. Speaking on a conference call last week, CEO Jim Farley noted that he wants to keep dealer inventory low while simultaneously moving to an order based system:

“We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days’ supply.”

Speaking to Reuters, Farley also admitted that building too many cars hurts them. Throwing cash on the hood, aka incentives, to move vehicles that have been sitting has always been a win for customers. But it hurts the company’s bottom line with Farley saying “I know we are wasting money on incentives. I don’t know where.”

Ford has started to move toward that car buying future, introducing services like Ford Express Buy. But dealers have the option to participate in it. See the problem? Ford wants to move in the right direction, but dealers have the option to participate. And, right now, the service is available at select dealers and only on the Mach-E.

Will other auto manufacturers follow suit? Even if they don't follow the same business model but cutting production volume while raising sales price (so that their P&L are not affected), buyer like us will still be impacted, especially after taking into consideration of the high vehicle taxes we have been paying...

Wah, build BTO? Then they need to issue many STVP!:XD:

• Haha! 1

38 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Or Kiss Your MIL !!?😁😁😂

What you think about the mind will bring to you.

When you free? I send her over.

• Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

What you think about the mind will bring to you.

When you free? I send her over.

I think there's an unwritten code of conduct here.
Never take other MCF forummer's MIL! 😅

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I think there's an unwritten code of conduct here.
Never take other MCF forummer's MIL! 😅

Not take.

I bring her to you.

No charge.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Ford is almost nonexistent in Singapore and even some part of Asia (for passenger car), they still want to go BTO? A suicidal move. Good luck to them.

要吊起来卖也要看有没有市场 (want to be yaya papaya also must see if got market value)

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, SGMCF328 said:

Ford is almost nonexistent in Singapore and even some part of Asia (for passenger car), they still want to go BTO? A suicidal move. Good luck to them.

要吊起来卖也要看有没有市场 (want to be yaya papaya also must see if got market value)

Two to three decades ago their cars seemed to do quite well.

What caused its downfall...?

12 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

Two to three decades ago their cars seemed to do quite well.

What caused its downfall...?

They lost their

FOCUS!

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

10 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Who is this young lady Ms Ma and if she is really Ke Yi any photos?

😁

giphy.gif

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4